1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Unbearable Lightness of Fleur Delacour by Heather Sinclair - R

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Aerowind, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Aerowind

Aerowind Squib

Title:The Unbearable Lightness of Fleur Delacour
    Author: Heather Sinclair
    Rating:R
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    DLP Category: Independent
    Pairing: Harry/Fleur
    Published: February 12, 2008
    Updated: July 13, 2008
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 18,956

Summary: The Magical world has been exposed. War is coming and Harry is caught in the middle.
    Link: PatronusCharm
    Link: Fanfiction.net

Comments: Pretty good fic in my opinion. It's only 20k words, but it's already getting pretty interesting. The author jumps back and forth from post DH to post GoF, but I'm still trying to see the reasoning in the post GoF parts. I'm sure it'll come together, but as it stands right now, it just feels tacked on. I like it though, in most fics that involve heavy muggle interaction you either have a Harry who's pro-muggle or pro-magic. In this, Harry's just caught in the middle in trying to prevent a cluster**** from happening. And failing, it looks like.

4/5

Checked by Minion, June 9, 2013
    Added ff.net link

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  2. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

3. Aerowind

Aerowind Squib

Ah, sorry, didn't realize that it had been dead for so long. I tend to do all of my reading at Fanfiction.net, where everything's sorted as most recently updated first. Didn't even cross my mind to check the dates...I just assumed it was recent because I noticed a few other fics that I've been following underneath it.

Ah well, ignore me, mock me, whatever.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Two people have posted and given it 4/5 but it only has 2 stars. Kinda weird, huh?

5. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

I noticed too, so I'll go ahead and give it the rating it deserves, from memory :
    4/5, very promising, too bad it's most probably abandoned.

Yay, now it's gone up to 3 stars !

6. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Sorry thought I'd rated it, must have forgotten to, rating added.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The reviewing morale seems to be getting worse these days. Two theoretic solutions: Make the thread-ratings public (so that everyone can see who voted what) or make thread rating generally impossible if you haven't posted in the thread ...

As for the story, it's one of the few H/F ones I haven’t read. I'll remedy that tonight. Though, I remember Heather saying she was going to focus on that H/C of hers first ... anyone knows what she's been up to anyway? Haven't seen her here in ages.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember disliking it in that it went nothing like how a war between magic and Muggle would go, IMO. The Muggles know too much, magic has been both underpowered and not used to its full effectiveness. 3/5.

9. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Not bad, but nothing exceptional either. Didn't particularly like the characterisation of Fleur in the fic. Other than that solid writing, no typos or mistakes. I will give it 3/5. Good enough fic but not library material.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  10. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I actually really enjoyed this story. As awesome as Wizards are, with their blatant civil rights violations (obliviate anyone?) and their utter lack of understanding of technology (Arthur Weasley works with muggle objects and is completely clueless) I can easily forsee a conflict breaking out between the two societies. I didn't have an issue with the muggles apparently prevailing, simply due to the disproportionate numbers of the populations.

That said, it's a little awkward rating this fic here due to the incomplete nature of it. As it stands, Fleur really hasn't played much of a role in what has been written. It feels as if we've only seen the first three parts of the prologue, instead of the story itself.

4/5 for an enjoyable fic, which I hope is continued.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Arthur Weasley is a caricature. In OotP we see Kingsley is writing a report for the Aurors on Muggle firearms, in HBP we see that the wizarding governments have complete control over the Muggle ones (we shall arrange for the president to call you tomorrow).

And you'd think that despite the moral objections, a government being able to ignore civil rights would give them an advantage in a war.

As for numbers, they only matter if you treat it as a traditional war like those between Muggle societies - which it isn't.

So yeah. I don't have a problem with Muggle vs. wizard conflicts (though there is an argument for the idea that the wizards would prevent such a thing from ever occuring by making the Muggles forget about said war). But you gotta do them right.

12. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

This. This, this, this.

See any of the Muggle vs. Wizard threads for further details.

13. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I read this a long, long time ago. (In ff terms, anyways) I'm going to re-read it first, but from what I remember it's a 3.5/5.

14. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I read this awhile ago. On just realised that I hadn't commented on it.

ULoFD is a decent attempt at creating a believeable Wizard/Muggle war. Yes, the wizards could just wipe the memories of the Muggles to prevent war but that would defeat the purpose of writing a Wizard/Muggle war.

I'd like to see a little more before I give any final opinions. However, Heather Sinclair's work has generally been of high quality, so I have little doubt the fic won't go downhill from here (if it gets updated, ever). Presently, I'd give it a 4/5. It's far from perfect, but it's interesting and written well enough to be accepted here just fine.