1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Unspeakable - Stjernefald - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Snapdragon, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Title: The Unspeakable
    Author: Stjernefald
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Horror
    Fandom: HP
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary:
    Ten years after the Boy-Who-Lived went into hiding, when the menace of Lord Voldemort, shrouded in secrecy and lies, arises once again, Harry Potter must conquer his unhinged mind and challenge the Dark Lord in a final bout for the world. It is the power of the mind to be unconquerable.
    Link: FFN

This here is fitting right into DLP's mold. It's gritty and atmospheric. An older Harry who takes no prisoners. If you like JBern kind of action scenes you should like this too. I can't tell that much more as the 3 chapters(30k) are a prologue/setting before the real plot starts I suppose.

Giving it a rating now with 3 chapters would be premature but if he can keep the quality up I would expect a 4-5/5.

2. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

I speed-read my way through this. I'm not particularly good at reviewing, so I'll just leave a few general comments.

The prose was terribly overwrought in a lot of parts, so I did end up skimming in some areas. The author is clearly talented but his propensity for purple prose, especially in sections when opting for the simple would be far more effective, bogs down the narrative and inhibits flow. That's the one big complaint I have. Other than that I rather enjoyed it for the most part, especially given that I rarely read outside of DLP these days. He has a good handle on Dumbledore's characterization which is also a gigantic plus in my books. I wasn't too fond of his Harry - it borders on the gritty, world-weary, curse-a-lot Harry who bears little resemblance to canon Harry, and while this can be done well, it's a bit jarring if there's no logical progression to the character shift. To the author's credit he's done a decent job of introducing bits and pieces of Harry's backstory and we're only three chapters in, so I'll hold off on that thought for now.

As the story stands, it's about a 3.5/5, rounded up to 4, with a good chance of rising even higher.

3. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

Personally, I felt you had a pretty good grasp on Dumbledore.

4. AlbusPHolmes

Aww, why thank you good sir ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  5. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

No, the tense was deliberate.

You see, I don't know if you stillo have what it takes to write a good Albus.

6. AlbusPHolmes

My, is that a dare?

7. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Also wondering if End Game will ever get some new words.

8. AlbusPHolmes

It's in the middle of a rewrite actually. Feel free to pm me if you have an inquiries newageofpower

/end thread derail.

9. Stan

Stan Order Member

Maybe it's the fact that there already are two decent-but-ultimately-subpar stories like this up for review ATM, but I just can't muster up enough enthusiasm to care for yet another ultra-competent Unspeakable!Harry story. This one is well written, but it has the usual Harry-takes-down-twenty-Death-Eaters-on-his-own-with-Super-training formula with the usual snarky backtalk and moral conflicts. I would have loved something like this a few years back, but now I'm tired just reading this.

I wish authors would stick to canon characterizations and canon-ish skill levels and try to come up with original plots instead of trying to figure out all the different ways Harry can murder dozens of Death Eaters at the same time.

3/5 for being well written, with a decent but unoriginal plot.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015