1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Victor by quothme - M - Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Title: The Victor
    Author: quothme
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Angst
    Fandom: Hunger Games
    Pairings: Peeta/Katniss
    Summary: There's a legend in District 12, passed down through the years, that tells of a lost soul, a miner who turned left when his brethren turned right. They call him the Blind Man. No longer alive, but unable to die. Dark AU.

Link: FFN - AO3

Went on a massive Hunger Games reading binge last year because Tehlaziboi is a prickface. Probably in the top 3 for best stories in the fandom, easily. The main change is that Katniss wasn't reaped along with Peeta, and he returned the sole Victor. A ton of mystery surrounds the circumstances and it's very fun trying to figure out what is truly going on, and what has truly happened.

As of 15th of Jan, 2015, the AO3 version has one extra chapter.

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I've been following this story for awhile now, and I really enjoy it. The writing is great, and I'm really curious as to the truth about Peeta.
    I kind of assume that Peeta didn't kill anyone, and the Capital did not like that at all. When Katniss says something along the same lines to Peeta, and he responds with, 'nope I did': I really want it to be that Peeta just snapped, rather than him lying to Katniss. I feel like every fic that focuses on Peeta always has him as the kill-less victor, etc.

I also really like the fact that Peeta seems to be set to play a similar role to what Haymitch did in canon, albeit younger and less drunk. I'd forgotten that Prim and Rory could still be reaped, and the minute they mentioned the Reaping in the last chapter I knew Prim was going to be reaped; I was surprised, however, by Rory volunteering as well. Just didn't think about it, I guess. It's going to be very interesting to see what things Peeta can come up with, and whether it matches the level of brilliance that Haymitch seemed to have shown during the 74th

I'd say a 4.5/5 rounded up, based off what I've seen so far.

3. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Good call on this one. Been following it for a few months and haven't been disappointed yet. One of the few gems in a fandom rife with fluff and smut.

4/5 with potential for 5/5 depending on how Peeta and his games are handled in the future.

4. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Well this updated and is now officially complete.

The rest of the fic after I last posted was somewhat of a disappointment. Lots of telling rather than showing. End was certainly interesting, but felt abrupt and left much to be desired in my opinion. Fell prey to what many HG fics do, where the world is so interesting and nuanced yet the author lacks the talent, wherewithal, or both to do it proper justice.

Still, good fic all around. 4/5

5. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I thought the most interesting part was Peeta basically being Haymitch, and the last chapters basically took away all of that. Definitely felt rushed, like Inert said.

Solid story, but 3/5 for the way it ended.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I agree with you, Inert. The ending felt incredibly abrupt and rushed, and I couldn't help but wonder if the author had grown tired of this particular idea.

One thing I didn't really understand was the nature of Gale and Katniss' goodbye in the final chapter. If this was following canon, then this would perhaps be something that could possibly happen -- but in this story, Katniss made it clear very early on that she didn't like Gale in that way, and didn't see any sort of future with him. The kiss just didn't sit right with me and I felt it didn't make a whole lot of sense for Katniss to allow it. Not in this setting.

Also, perhaps a bigger problem -- I'm not sure if Katniss could ever forgive Peeta's role in Prim's death. In the books, she can barely think of Gale because of his involvement in creating the bombs that ultimately took her life. Here, Peeta's broadcast guaranteed her death. Logically thinking, sure, Prim was probably already as good as dead -- and even if she survived, we all know what happened to Peeta as a Victor. Death would probably be the better option. Thing is, Katniss does not think logically where Prim is concerned and I just don't believe she could forgive him for his role, fair or not.

I felt that the moment she died, I could no longer see them together.

Otherwise, still one of the better stories in the fandom I've read.