1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

Thing of your day Mk. II

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oz, Mar 13, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

I figure 2003 posts and the stars apparently lining inside MonkeyEpoxey's tiny little mind are both sign enough that the old thread got way huge.

Thing of my yesterday: submitted my final year project and "thesis" (lol) worth 15% of my degree. Not having to worry about that any more is an unbelievable weight off my shoulders.

2. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Groundskeeper

Thing of my day; turned 18 today and my friends took me out for my first legal drink. I've got to say scotch is pretty good.

3. Oz

Correction, because I can't math. It was worth 25%. Whippeeeeee.

4. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Lucky you the thesis was completely math-free, eh Oz?

---

At lunch, I met up with an ex-coworker friend, and listened about the various (numerous) maladies his little girl has (including, but not limited to extreme allergy to dogs - they had to give up a longtime family pet).

Made me glad I'm not a father yet.

5. Legacy

Legacy Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Huh. And here I thought Oz's OP was just being sarcastic, didn't realize monkey was on acid when I looked away.

As an update to my house story. My landlord sent us a message on Tuesday that he would be bringing people by for a showing yesterday. After 4 hours of cleaning we got the place into a state where no one noticed a thing. Hilariously enough we covered the hole in the door with a pair of posters again, one of them was a pick of an old European set of buildings with a train sticking out of it on the third floor.

The landlord also missed the fact that one of them decided to shank the fridge a few times that night. Ended up shuffling a few condiments around in the fridge and found the holes this morning. All in all, yesterday was a good day.

6. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Thing of my day: My work catered a nice little going away for one of our colleagues, which means free cake. I'm a happy fat little man right now.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Thing of my day: I was working with hydrochloric acid today. Funnily enough, the damn thing spilled all over the floor so I had to walk on it.

Guess who has holes in boots and socks? Guess whose feet turned from white, to yellow, to brown in several minutes? They also sting like a son of a bitch.

And no, don't tell me I should have had different boots. These were, were 'acid-resistant' boots given to me by my employer.

Hey, at least tomorrow's Friday. Sweet.

8. wordhammer

wordhammer Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

!!!

You're working with HCl and there isn't a bucket of baking soda nearby to neutralize it?

9. Andrela

Explanation:

I work as an electrician at the city steel mill. More specifically, in a place where we cover regular metal in zinc.

To do so, one needs to first fully submerge the material in hydrochloric acid (we have like 5 big pools of it, each about 4 metres deep), then in water, then in flux (a special mixture of chemicals which causes molten zinc to stick to other metal) and then finally in the molten zinc.

Unfortunately, given that there's SO MUCH acid involved, it tends to spill. And boy, does it like to evaporate (we have to keep it warm), so the air is not friendly.

Now, at this point, you're asking: "You're an electrician, so why are you working with acid instead of others?"

Hahaha, if I asked that to my boss, I'd be fired.

10. wordhammer

Never have I been happier to live in a country with intrusive and pushy regulatory agencies.

11. Lindsey

Lindsey Order Member

Our heater went out yesterday...

It dropped to 16 degrees last night. This sucks.

12. Andrela

We have them as well. Of course, they like money as much as anyone. ;)

13. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Huddle for warmth? Or drink. Both will help, I know because my roommates and ass and tends to turn the heat off at night. I've given up on trying to make him see reason and just pray for May to come sooner.

14. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Professor DLP Supporter

Thing of my day: I had to touch a sixty year old man's genitals for quite a while today. Never done that before. So that was fun. . .

Also, don't know if you mean 16 Celsius or Fahrenheit but if the latter don't drink. You'll feel warmer but you won't be warmer.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

Worry not friends. The sky ended up not falling.

16. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Do we even want to know why?

17. Oz

Correlation analysis for a dataset of thousands of users would be a bit much to do in my head. Thank god for Matlab. :p

18. Oz

He's a street performer.

19. wordhammer

Recently I came upon this comment that seems related:

Found here: http://post.queensu.ca/~forsdyke/peerrev.htm

The reason I ended up there: Perspicacity having to lay the smackdown on his ethically-bankrupt underlings prompted me to say something about Peer-review systems having reputation as their monetary system. When I went looking for quote, I ended up learning a lot about the pitfalls of peer review.

tl;dr: Pers made me think and learn.

Also @the Wizard of Oz - you should link to the old thread in the OP for this one.

20. Oz

Done and done.

Not open for further replies.