1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Thorium could solve world energy problems

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Vir, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Source

Best part? This will never happen.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

... so what you're saying is that I should buy some land in Silithus? It is the prime real estate for thorium mining.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

Silly bitch, everyone knows Burning Steppes is where you mine the real Thorium.

5. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds interesting. I don't share your pessimism, Virail. If the technology is viable, I think it's likely to find investors. It sounds like it could be both massively profitable (all the energy of nuclear power but without the costs) and a strategic advantage, which means both private investors and the government should be interested. The US government isn't stupid, and spends a lot of money on research like this. If this is brought to their attention, they're not going to just ignore it.

6. Vir

High Score:
    They've been ignoring it for 30 years, Taure. I don't see much changing. CERN applied for funds to build reactors in 99/00 and were turned aside.

7. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Only problem is when we go to mine for it, there'll be a race of blue people who'll refuse to give up there land. Then, when we send in spies to infiltrate, the spy will undoubtably fall in love, and it'll all end with an epic battle in spectacular 3d.

But seriously, I'm going with Vir.

Way to good to be true.

8. Taure

High Score:
    CERN applied to the EU for funds, not the US government.

As for:

You don't think anything has changed in the last 30 years with regards to the energy market and its strategic implications, nor the public's (and therefore the politicians' and business') appetite for alternative green energy?

Even in the last 5 years there's been a significant change. If you look at some of the Pentagon's spending on green energy tech recently you'd be surprised. They're spending billions on any energy tech that looks like there's a chance it might work. All this needs is for someone to make the case for it.

Investors aren't just going to magically know about it. Someone has to bring it to their attention, and do so in a way that convinces them of it's viability.

Publicity like the above is a step in this direction.

You guys appear to be under the impression that Sod's law is an actual physical law >_<

9. Vir

High Score:
    Didn't mean to imply that the Centre for European Nuclear Research applied to the United States. That'd be silly.

It's not?

10. Taure

High Score:
    Almost as silly as responding to a person's post about the US government by saying "They've been ignoring it for years" and then say you were talking about the EU.

Also, science is obviously not limited by geographical borders. There's nothing stopping CERN from applying to the US government for funding, to my knowledge.

No. In fact, if anything the opposite is true. Humanity has been pretty fucking lucky to get where we are today. That you can look at the state of human scientific and technological advance and be anything other than amazed is, for me, quite sad.

11. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I did a project on Nuclear Power this year, and this was pretty much the center of my project. America isn't doing shit about it, but India is.

12. Vir

High Score:
    Our technological advance is amazing, yes. But there is a huge gulf between what we can do and what we are doing.

I'm pessimistic about putting our technological and scientific prowess into action.

When I was talking about "Them" I was referring to all the countries in the West. Although, I hear India has been experimenting with the Thorium reactors.

13. Fiat

Well, India has the most to gain from this. They have more than any other country. They'd be the new Saudi Arabia.

This is also amazing for Canada. However, considering, we're doing nothing about it, we can only hope that India has some success soon.

14. Vir

High Score:
    I wish we'd do something about it, but it's not looking likely.

15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

The theory is sound. It could work.

There are other options, too.

The real kicker behind Nuclear Power is the waste and the chances of any accidents. The former is a major problem that, if somehow solved, would make mass nuclear power viable. The latter is practically already solved due to the sheer amount of safety nets and security in place at existing stations.

It's a fact that mankind in general are greedy bastards, anyway. If we weren't killing each other over bull such as religion, we could actually use this planet to best of our advantage whilst at the same time stopping it from being ruined further.

Look at this from another point of view: if Earth was a potential colony site for a well established intersolar civilization, think which areas of the planet would be used for supplies/resources: desert areas such as most of the African continent? Solar Panels stretching as far as the eye could see. North America? Food production, with gigantic fields of crops stretching across the heartlands. The north/south poles? Water purification and hydrogen extraction. Rainforest areas? Botany, medicine ingredients, etc.

If there were no countries or dividing issues such as religion, and we did something like that to our own homeworld, I reckon that we'd be colonising the entire solar system within ten or twenty years. We already have the existing capability to do so, in theory, but it all comes down to $ and resources. That, and we'd probably kill each other before any serious attempt is made.

16. Taure

High Score:
    Not sure how much India has to gain from this. Like the article said, one of the major benefits of the idea is that there's a load of it everywhere. They'd get a lot more money from the technology than from selling the raw material.

17. Fiat

India's actually doing a lot of shit involving nuclear power. They're turning on a Fast Breeder Reactor in Kalpakkam pretty soon.

EDIT: There's 3 times as much worldwide as Uranium, but it isn't exactly the most common substance. India has a lot more than most other countries.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  18. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Never heard of this. Is this as great as the article claims it is? Is it 100% science proofed? If so, this is awesome.

19. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

@Fiat: If it's as potent as the article says, then having more of it than other countries won't matter all that much, yeah ? Whoever can produce the technology to harness it will have the most to gain.

That said, if India got energy independent due to Thorium, that'd go a long way towards solidifying India's complete control over the telephone customer service industry.

Waitamin-

20. Fiat

@Blaise- until reading that article, I was under the impression that it was significantly less efficient than Uranium and the only reason it even mattered was because we have three times as much of it as Uranium. Because of that, I question the values given. Its entirely possibe (i.e likely) that I'm wrong, however.