1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Throwing Shadows by Feral Smile - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Mangafee, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mangafee

Mangafee Muggle

Title: Throwing Shadows
    Author: Feral Smile
    Rating: M
    Genre: Angst/Adventure
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairings: None As Of Yet
    Summary: Heroes are beacons of hope and justice. They burn with intense light, illuminating the way for the next generation. However, the brightest lights throw the darkest shadows. This is the journal of one such shadow.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9030224/1/Throwing-Shadows

Seems like this story is being reposted.

Another take from the AnBu!Naruto cathegory but, in my opinion, not comparable to any fiction I've read before.

It's a very violent interpretation of AnBu, which pleased me as they are fabricating soldiers and not knights or other justice heroes.
    The entire story is from Naruto's perspective and written in the form of several short journal entries.
    Naruto, in contrast to canon, is being trained into a powerful, heartless and arrogant killer - the complete opposite of the usual stories.

I thought it was quite interesting and executed pretty well, even if some parts were a bit exaggerated.
    Worth a read in my book.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The initial journal entries in Chapter 1 turned me off.

Does it get better or is that fairly standard?

3. Mangafee

Mangafee Muggle

It gets very different.
    Well, If you're bothered by the way the trainees are handled, then you might not want to read the rest as it gets quite violent and (in my opinion) also a bit over the top.

But there is a lot of character development - as you would expect in a military training facility.
    Naruto is being desensitized, and it's visible.

If It's Naruto's careless personality that you don't like, you should read a bit more. ;)

4. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Hearing the words FAGGOT and FUCKWIT in a Naruto story might be one of the most distracting and immersion breaking thing I've seen in a long while.

Fact is, I don't want to read passed the first chapter. It's laughably hardcore and the completely fake training exercise that doesn't mesh with Naruto at all. Anyone that thinks this should be in Naruto, I feel like the author will only produce junk.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It's not the content I don't like, it's the crappy writing style.

I'll come back later and skip ahead a few chapters and see what it looks like there -- I could easily see it improving if the writing style changes once we're out of the prologue and set-up.

6. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

While I will keep reading this story, it isn't good enough to be in the Library. This fic is better suited for the Almost Recommended thread. If you have some time to kill, and don't mind the sloppy writing, give it a whirl. Otherwise, don't bother.

7. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

This story is grimm as fuck. It is a Naruto in ANBU story but in this story ANBU is very grimm place where every recruit is broken until very little remains behind. Those who likes Naruto as happy idiot shouldn't even touch this one but if you want to read a Itachi esque Naruto give it a go But be warned there is mentions of rape during the counter-torture training. And yes torture plays an important role in the story.

I give it 4/5 but it is more like a YMMV type of the story. Journal like format actually hurts the story. And writing itself isn't greatest but story is interesting. Especially last chapters was very interesthing. didn't like how Karin is shoehorned to be love interest though.