1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Tin God by firefly - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Hashasheen, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Title: Tin God
    Author: firefly
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama
    DLP Category: Naruto
    Pairing: None
    Summary: God was virtually considered illegal. It was the military that garnered the reverence, and it was the military that every student, including him, was being prepped for inside an academy classroom.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3179450/1/

It's awesome, and I don't recommend crap. Read for what I think is a great look into Hidan's character. :awesome

Checked: June 11, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not particularly religious, but this makes some very good points. What is heroism in the face of oblivion? I haven't read a lot of Naruto FF recently, but this stands out as unique imo.

I enjoyed Hidan's characterization, but it didn't really feel in character. I still liked it, but replacing the name Hidan and the word ninja would leave you with a decent original story. A very short one, but you get the idea.

I find his stance regarding sacrifice a little amusing, considering the inclinations of his own deity.

4/5

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This writing shows an understanding of how to build a crescendo, to that explosive moment.

"With your sacrifice," he murmured. "You accomplish the shinobi dream. You become a hero. And me, I become a missing-nin."

Epic first chapter.

Fuck, one chapter. I thoguht I'd finally found an accessible epic Naruto story I could read and see what its popularity is all about.

4. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Short, and it felt like enjoyable characterization for a Hidan back story. Also, what Andromalius said.

5. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I wouldn't normally have bothered with this one but I'd recently read and enjoyed firefly's Quotidian so I decided to give this is a go.

It had an alright concept about how Hidan became a missing-nin but I didn't like anything beyond that. Kishimoto never bothered to share anything about Hidan's history in the manga - only in the databook released years after this story - so that gets a pass but this original version didn't work out.

The story opens with the revelation that Hidan is living with several Jashin monks which is treated as a completely meaningless detail as it doesn't come up again at all. There's no explanation for why there's a group who worship an evil god and practice "total slaughter" living in the hidden village or why Hidan himself is living with them and considers them friends. Especially when it goes on to say that this unnamed Hidden Village is extremely secular which makes their presence even more contradictory.

And with his home being so absent of religion, it's unclear how Hidan learns about the concept considering he's likely lived there all his life or how he found his beliefs. It would have been easy to tie it into the inexplicable presence of Jashin monks but, as I said, it doesn't mention them.

The teaching in the Academy feels weird because it seems like they're pretending that they're not really training the students to be ninja. I kinda get what firefly was going for - I don't doubt that there's propaganda and desensitization training at these schools - but it's not like a shinobi academies would pretend to be something other than what they are. Even that lesson about helping another village was weird as it mentions what they should do if they encounter anyone below or above genin level which a) ignores what to do if the opponent actually is genin level and b) optimistically assumes they are somehow able to tell how skilled they are.

Twice, Hidan says he'll die in three years time - with a weirdly specific example - which sounds like he's not gonna graduate until he's 15 yet we've never even heard of graduate older than 12 (usually years younger). And then Hidan somehow overpowers his teacher (is she not even a ninja?), eventually kills her without her even trying to do defend herself and then she waves him goodbye while she's dying. :rolleyes:

Considering how short this thing is, it's surprising how many things bothered me about it. Overall, it's a mess of a story and only distantly feels like a Naruto fanfic.

Now I want to see one-shot about Hidan becoming a missing-nin done right.

2/5