1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Mordac, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...cy-food-racist,-say-report.html?service=print

Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'
    By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent
    Last updated: 9:29 AM BST 08/07/2008
    Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency.

The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care.

This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food.

The guidance by the NCB is designed to draw attention to potentially-racist attitudes in youngsters from a young age.

It alerts playgroup leaders that even babies can not be ignored in the drive to root out prejudice as they can "recognise different people in their lives".

The 366-page guide for staff in charge of pre-school children, called Young Children and Racial Justice, warns: "Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

It advises nursery teachers to be on the alert for childish abuse such as: "blackie", "Pakis", "those people" or "they smell".

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Warning that failing to pick children up on their racist attitudes could instil prejudice, the NCB adds that if children "reveal negative attitudes, the lack of censure may indicate to the child that there is nothing unacceptable about such attitudes".

Nurseries are encouraged to report as many incidents as possible to their local council. The guide added: "Some people think that if a large number of racist incidents are reported, this will reflect badly on the institution. In fact, the opposite is the case."

2. JoJo23

JoJo23 Auror

Young children will make fun of their peers for their hair colour clothes or anything, of course they make fun of others for their skin colour. It's an unfortunate thing for a lone minority in a playgroup or nursery class but it's inevitable. The same with young children disliking unfamilier foodstuffs. This report on how to stop it is incredibly stupid.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's incredibly lulzy. No one was around to tell Baby-Adolf not to say 'yuk', so he grew up racist, and started WWII 50 years later because he still didn't like his veggies.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

366 page report? Someone should dig up a copy of that thing. Imagine the lulz.

Then again, the BNP does do well in elections over there so . . .

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't say they do well in elections Gio...though in the most recent bi-election they did beat Labour (I found that hilarious).

6. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    As long as they aren't yelling, "yuk, it's nigger food", then I've got no problem.

7. Covil

Covil Fourth Year

...Now having food preferences is racist? How stupid is it to punish kids for being picky eaters?

8. Darkmakr

Darkmakr Seventh Year

Aw crap. Guess I'm racist for not liking Currie.

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Guess that makes me racist for not wanting to eat Jalapenos! I just can't stand my mouth getting hot. It makes me hiccup. Don't like Mexicans either. (The American grown up ones are okay, but its the ones from Mexico I don't like.)

10. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

This is beyond retarded.

Its basicly conforming a child early to political correctness.

If I don't like Indian food, I am going to say so... if I don't like greek, I'll call it disgusting.

A child calling someone blackie or brownie is one thing...

calling the kid a racist for being honest and saying he doesn't like this type of food is just idiotic.

11. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Wait why is saying "they smell" rascist? What if the other kid doesn't bathe and rolls around in shit. In my opinion the "rascist one" is just calling it like he sees it. If the kid fucking smells he smells.

This politically correct garbage where kids now have to be on their toes and can't say anything is getting ridiculous. All it does is create a generation of sensative pussies, who can't socialize with anyone because either they're afraid they'll offend someone, or they themselves get offended easilly.

Grow some thick skin and just let children act their age.

12. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Oh god... it would be like a generation of Righteous Hermiones!

Were Fucked!

No seriously take a moment and try and imagine if every young person you meet up until the day you die would be the living embodiment of Hermione Jane Granger in her spew protesting, dark Arts Hating ways.

I'm incorporating a little fannon Hermione in there to emphasis my point.

13. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

... What if the child has a general dislike for a certain type of food?

Not a particular cultural brand, but rather, it had a vegetable in the meal and they disliked the taste of it. This would go so far as to include a certain cultures food, because they include said item in many of their meals.

Because they said 'yuk,' they're now labled racist?

That is bullshit.

14. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Wait. What if he is fucking allergic and his parents told him to avoid that type of food?

15. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

They'll call him a racist.. his parents will call in and bitch.

They'll partially retract the statement, while somehow still blaming the kid.

Seriously if this comes to pass were going to hear stories like this.

16. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

Wait, wait, wait. You're all forgeting the biggest racist here.

The people who wrote the law are obviously racist against racists.

17. Iztiak

Iztiak Heir

This is complete garbage. Absolute and complete garbage.

If I ever have kids, I'll homeschool them. I become more sure of this every time I see news like this.

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

"I'm not racist. I love all races, particularly white people."

19. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm not racist, I hate all people equally.

A far wiser man then me, but this article just makes me laugh. How is disliking a food racist? Sure if the kid said "Eww that's (insert nationality) food, YUK" (lol, yuk) that might be a bit racist, or it could mean that the kid just doesn't like a certain type of food. I don't eat most chinese food, doesn't mean I'm racist against chinese people.

20. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

It's not some evil PC-conspiracy like some like to suggest - mostly it's common sense and I do agree, that especially in kindergarten it's important to try to teach kids to not harbor any prejudices.