1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Prisoner DLP Supporter

Chuck Berry died. Sadness.

2. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The man was a legend. RIP.

3. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

Lol Pat Rothfuss can fuck right off. The disdain with which he treats his fans who ask him about the third book. I've never seen an author who treats his fans that badly for asking him about the sole reason they're fans of him.

4. Anarchy

On the other hand, Brandon Sanderson has been pretty chill everytime I've seen him in twitch chat. He would occasionally drop by LSV's magic stream back when he was streaming more than once a month, and he would gladly chat about anything.

5. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

Yeah, I don't even care that the book will come out in 2020 or something, I would whine a bit but that's all.

But him lashing out at fans, calling them thieves when he himself accidentally leaks some words on his stream, calling them selfish and petty, he states that if his charity reached a million he was going to give us a chapter to read, but now he's not going to because we fucked it up, etc etc.

6. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

Today is my last day seeing Egypt and I've been blown away by their amazingly rich history.

One thing you don't hear about much is how sophisticated the ancient Egyptians irrigation techniques were, but you can experience it first hand in the Le Passage hotel restaurant in Cairo airport by asking for the "full colonic".

(Fuck this restaurant -_-)

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

2nd degree burns on my forearm. Traumatized my doctor at urgent care by suggesting that I'd be doing construction work tonight. Declined anesthetics and asked for something to bite on while they scraped the blister off. Didn't need either. Do people actually feel pain during this process?

I should mention that I'm sneaking scotch out of a hip flask every time the nurse leaves the room.

8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

How did you burn yourself?

As for feeling pain I guess it all depends on the person because I've seen grown men cry from paper cuts while other guys pass kidney stones without so much as a peep.

Edit: If your drunk enough to not feel pain than your drunk enough to put off construction work for a few hours.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I burned myself using a stick from a fire to fend off an overly amorous wolverine.

Okay the actual story is a lot less interesting, some scalding hot potato leek soup splashed onto my arm, and I was a little late getting the dish cloth to wipe it off. I'm not too drunk to feel pain, but the burn itself is just not particularly painful. Construction will wait until 8pm. It's past when code allows for, but my basement is pretty soundproof and that's where I'm going to be cutting tile and mixing mortar.

10. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What Gio means to say is "My injury was caused by some #firstworldproblems."

11. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    TOMAfternoon: 3DS Youtube app has decided to loop to Asia's 'Heat of the Moment' and all I can picture is this.
    EDIT: I am apparently all too easily amused, carry on.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Thing of my yesterday: played Mass Effect for the first time ever. It's pretty good, it took me 14 hours to beat it.

Installing ME2 right now.

13. Anarchy

14 hours to beat mass effect? You must have done literally nothing in it.

14. Andrela

Well, considering it was my first playthrough, I just wanted to do the main plot.

I'm gonna replay it soon and try to do all the side missions.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: TIL that doing anything involving thin set with a sizable burn on your forearm is an interesting process. Especially when the burn is on your trowel arm. Saved roughly 2k on labor costs by doing this myself, which works out to $71 an hour.

16. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

Please post the results of your bum rush at the end of 2.

17. Andrela

I first want to replay ME1 so I'll be able to transfer saves.

But, will do.

18. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

19. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Last day in London with a little down time before heading out for the rest of the day. Its been an amazing trip with a loose itinerary. 16 days just isnt long enough. Also, Dublin on St Pattys was an absolute shit show. Do not recommend.

Glasgow>Dublin>London>Edinburgh>Glasgow

Glenfinnan Viaduct
    [​IMG]

Kilmainham Gaol
    [​IMG]

White Hart Lane
    [​IMG]

20. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow. That sucks.

First off, your family, even if they're physicists thmselves and know the game, should not be making these calls for you. But if you hate what you're doing, perhaps change of some kind is in order. It's your life, not theirs, and you should do something that brings joy and a sense of satisfaction, not obligation and dread.

My wife is a physicist among the top in her field. Women still have to work harder in science than men but (in the Americas anyway) it's far better than it was a generation ago. It's hardly easier and less misogynistic in finance. I worry that you may not be gaining much by opting to work the alternative set of nonequilibrium stat mech problems. I've several colleagues who made the transition to finance (it was the hip thing back in the day) and none really found life satisfaction from it--most just treat it as a job, not a passion. A lucrative one, to be sure, but something they tolerate, like bad marriages and alcoholim, not at all what they signed up for.

If you're still feeling ambivalent, my recommendation before walking away for good (if you have any sense that you really do like science, just not the grind of classes today) would be to talk with your professors and see what kind of science research you might get involved with for a time. Coursework is hardly what physics is about. Quite frankly, it's the least interesting part of the training, something we all have to endure to get to the interesting stuff.

Just my 2c.