1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Please be courteous to staff and post NEW threads for NEW Issues, instead of posting them in threads that are not related to said issue.

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My suggestion is to join a writers' group, or get a beta reader or two. People who you can bounce ideas and drafts off of.

2. Nazgus

Nazgus Order Member

TOMD: Signed up for my classes next semester, and once again gave thanks to my scholarship for giving me priority registration. Might be a bit mean of me, but I love being able to just sit there and smile anytime people start bitching about not being able to get the classes/timeslots/professors they want.

3. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    Depending on the area your cousins were walking the dog in, the other person may be totally correct. Even if your dog is friendly, a dog off a leash approaching a dog in a leash should NEVER happen. From the perspective of the dog on the leash, they're literally backed into a corner with no way to escape if the other dog is not friendly, so they will generally attack first to scare the other dog off.

Maybe things are different where you are, but around here no dog is allowed to be off a leash at any time (except within the bounds of a dog park or other typical facility, in which it is against the rules to have your dog on a leash). These kinds of laws prevent this exact situation from happening, or at least clearly identify the liable party so that damages can be recovered.

That being said it still sucks when a dog you're attached to is attacked.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a nature reserve, about 60 acres large. It's also the most popular dog walking site in the area (it's pretty much the only patch of wilderness for miles around). There are hundreds of dogs off the lead in that area on any given day, more on sunny days (which it was).

Aside from that, though, the owner knew that his dogs were not good around other animals and he wasn't physically capable of handling both at the same time. If you can't keep your dogs under control you should walk them separately or muzzle them so that they're not a danger to others. I've done the same with my dogs in the past, when I knew I couldn't trust them around others.

If we have a duty of care not to let our dog approach others, then they have a duty of care to ensure that their dangerous animal isn't able to seriously hurt anyone/thing.

5. Seyllian

Seyllian Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I've walked my dog before and had my dog attacked by another dog which had escaped its fence, so I know what the other dude is thinking. Luckily I was able to whack the black lab hard enough to get it to flee, but it's still a pretty awful feeling seeing an animal attack your pet.

However, despite the fact that I have been in this guy's situation, it does not excuse him from taking on something he cannot handle. One of the most important things when walking a dog is being able to control your pet. Whenever I see an old person walking a large dog or even a small woman I usually just cross the road. It's not that I don't want my dog to meet other animals, in fact, I would love him to, but if another's pet is hostile I do not want to have to keep control of both my pet and fend off the other persons.

Completely agree with you on the lead part, but I find that generally most dogs that are unable to behave well and aggressive are due to bad and ineffective owners, so if they can't train a dog well it may be asking too much of them...

I hope the dog gets better!

6. Fardeki

Fardeki Headmaster DLP Supporter

My 1080 ti rocked up this afternoon and now... I'm off to night-shift.

This adult stuff is bullshit, a few years ago I would of just called in sick.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Got bored. Decided to train a group of Democratic activists how to do basic opposition research (public records requests, how to review documents, summarize findings, etc.) A workshop that was supposed to fit in my living room (I made the description as boring as humanly possible to weed out the people who would be temperamentally unsuited) will likely need a real venue even if 75% of the signups flake.

Shit?

8. Wildfeather

High Score:
    Having spoke with a bunch of my professors, I decided that going for the Paralegal degree (leading to law school) isn't what I want to do with my life. So I'll be going to find ish my criminology degree and head off into the wonderful world of law enforcement in the next year or so. I feel really good about the decision, even though it means I wasted a year learning all kinds of civil law, court procedures and legal drafting and analysis.

I'll probably have to shave my beard though. Much regret.

Also looking for apartments with my wife. :D

P. S. That dog situation sucks, I feel for you even if I'm not so sure your cousin didn't exacerbate the situation. People who don't know how to control their dogs are the worst though.

9. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Blame Trump. Good luck trying to explain them that just denouncing the opposition in the HuffPost isn't very effective.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

That's not opposition research Invictus. Description specifically mentioned that it was not messaging or public communications, and that if anyone had brilliant ideas they absolutely needed to share about either of those things at the meeting they would be asked to leave.

11. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    What level are you thinking of? Depending on what you do, that might actually be considered a real asset.

TOMD: I got a lot of work done today, and yet I got nothing done that I had intended on doing.

12. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

After an exhaustive year-long effort, I've finally found and vetted a barber that can reliably give me just about any cut I could ask, and I've asked a lot.

The taste of triumph is sweet.

13. Wildfeather

High Score:
    Down here (In Central Florida) almost all entry level positions are for Sheriff/Local PD for patrols or corrections. I haven't asked yet, but it's faster to finish a criminology degree than it is to finish my paralegal degree, so there's not much incentive to stay on the same track I was in. I already partially finished my criminology degree (about 1 year of coursework) vs just finished the pre-reqs (plus 3 classes) for the paralegal degree.

14. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

lest we think only American schools are shitty, my girlfriend's college at UofT has decided to have a mandatory mass during convocation.

This is not the first time they've done this. And it does come right after they tore down all the "lgbt safe space" posters and ended condom distribution, safe sex pamphlets, and sex Ed.

15. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Weird. Canada never struck me as the sort of place that would be into that sort of thing.

TOMD: Took an exam related to obtaining a qualification that would result in fairly significant career advancement, haven't gotten results yet despite it being (ostensibly) administered by a computer. Fingers crossed.

16. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Would probably wear skintight leather chaps to the mass in protest. Black handlebar moustache and cap optional.

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Also take a page out of Trump's book as well, and whip out your wallet during the Eucharist.

18. Hopper

Hopper First Year

As a U of T grad - which college. Because I'm calling bullshit.

19. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Uuuh, that does not fit what I know about UoT, at all, from a friend that went there. No news about it anywhere else, even the Toronto Star, Toronto's leftist journal that even does article on how changing the way parking lots are allocated in one street is an attack against local residents to favour companies and their employees.

20. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

Saint Mike's. The new dean they brought in this year is a total Fundy, and the college has gotten dozens of homophobia complaints already. They already had a mandatory mass during frosh - or rather, didn't tell anyone it wasn't mandatory and that they could leave. everyone just skipped that one, but convocation is a bit harder to swing.