1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Paladin

Paladin Second Year

High Score:
    Sauce is a fairly cool guy and I'm pretty sure at this point he's not going to try to rape me in the middle of night

2. Avery

Avery Second Year

High Score:
    Honestly, there was some of that, especially for those who tried to write formal essays. However, by less creative I tend to mean... there were a lot of personal stories about depression, suicide, and cutting. I swear one could write an academic analysis about the number of students who resort to escapism through awesome fantasy stories vs the number who write depressively about their lives through fictional narrators.

TOMD: I was allowed to remain as part of the finalist judging panel for the short story competition. Got to argue with the other judges about which stories deserved to win. The grand prize winners of both categories were both entries that really deserved it. I'm glad we managed to tack on consolation prizes for a select few that didn't make the Top 5--they'll be getting constructive criticism from the judges (including me, yay!) to encourage them to always keep writing.

These kids are 15 to 19 year olds in Asia. If they're not encouraged, they might actually give up on writing when they shouldn't.

Another interesting fact: every single finalist was female.

I'm waiting for the demographic statistics of all the entrants, but that was quite surprising to all of us.

3. vlad

vlad Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    After two hellish work weeks I have pulled a rabbit out of my asshole. Next week is still going to be a bitch but the worst is over and everything the client needs will be delivered on time.

Today feels so good.

4. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    TOMyesterDay: Sorrows commenting on a handful of my fics :D Feels good getting feedback on older stuff.
    TOMD: Scott and Shiny also dropping comments :D

5. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Unspeakable DLP Supporter

TOMD: Dropped a pc on my toe. Precisely on the big toe, with the corner of the tower right at the first phalange. Decent amount of brusing, possibly a tiny fracture.

Still walked around all day. :fire

6. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

All week long I've randomly found myself going...

...oh shit shit SHIT WTF am I doing? I have to get work done, I haven't worked on all my work things, and it's midnight and I need to go to bed or I'll be tired tomorrow and I haven't done any work, and...

...and then I realize it's summer, I'm off, it's too soon to worry about prepping for Fall, and I can stay up til 3 in the morning and play Vermintide if I fucking want to.

7. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

If it's broken, you'll know before too long anyway. :sherlock:

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Predictably, my January resolutions to exercise more went down the shitter. I have lost a bit of weight, but that's more on me being busier than usually rather than some directed effort. But the tiiiimes, they are chaangiiin'...

TOMD: I've been renting my own place since February after the previous year home. Asked dad to help me fix up his old bike. Dad transported it for me to my new place on his way to a weekend trip. I hopped on a bike for the first time in ~2,5 years. Did about 8 km. I'm in frankly atrocious shape and my ass hurts like a motherfucker, but it's progress!

Tomorrow I'll take it for a spin after 7pm, not smack in the middle of the day like an idiot.

9. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

Two things: bicycle shorts and correct bicycle fit (saddle height, angle, and distance from handlebars [assuming the frame is the right size for you]). Look up global cycling network on YouTube, they have really good instructional videos for that stuff. A saddle even a few millimetres too high or low can have a huge impact on longer cycles.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Honestly though, I think rn the main reason why my butt hurt is that there's too much of it. I'll be working on that.

11. Oz

It's less the amount of ass and more that the ass isn't used to being on the saddle.

The only way it'll go away is to keep cycling. Definitely get back on the bike tomorrow, especially if your ass is still sore.

12. Oz

TOMD: waiting for a 110km charity cycle to start. As always I'm way too early.

13. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I wish more people were like you Oz. Most of the time people are barely on time or late.

14. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

TOMD: Got a B+ in the class I was most worried about, turns out life is pretty great.

15. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And a maladjusted seat can put pressure in the wrong place and turn your penis numb.

I'm not a medical doctor but this is probably not a good thing.

16. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He speaks as if from
    memory long held and not
    just academic.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Saw Alien Covenant (yesterday). Really really enjoyed it.

18. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Speaking of stupid experiences on bikes, either make sure you don't have long shoelaces or stick them in your shoes for the duration of the biking. I've had stop and grab my shoes a couple times in the past... (Shoelaces winding themselves around the bicycle pedal crank and off the shoe went after a few revolutions.)

Less stupid: if the place you live is somewhat bike-unfriendly, invest in a helmet. As much as we Dutch (aka recreational cycling nation #1) don't wear them, that's more due to a specific road environment tailored to protect those who don't have a 1000kg metal box around them and a culture that is fine with biking, unlike other countries.

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Also try to make your pedaling a smooth motion - your shoe should stay pretty flat on the pedal and do the full rotation with the pedal. Imagine your shoe is glued to the pedal and try it that way. People who get really into cycling will go the clipless pedal route which serves the same type of purpose.

20. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    Can confirm. Ass is always sore only when pressed into the bike seat after returning to riding for the first few times. Eventually it'll get better.

TOMD: Got another 8 miler done today after a previous 8 miler two days ago. Its a slow start but I'm hoping over the next month to work up to double that distance, and in a few months be back to 20+ rides.