1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Menace

Menace Minister of Magic

CheddarTrek In my experience I never use the cheat sheets I write during the tests I write them for. Either I know the answer without having to glance at the cheat sheet, or it's not something I wrote down. I might just be awful at putting together cheat sheets, or it might be that I'm only allowed to bring them when I don't really need them. God knows I could have used a cheat sheet for my dates test in AP US History.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: See, I had a bus ticket in my pocket when I left home and keys in a zipped pocket in the backpack. Took the bus to work. Finished at 7pm (still hot) and went for my wallet to retrieve the return ticket. Cue panic, because the wallet isn't there. Did I lose it? Fuck, did someone swipe it from me on the bus? How the fuck could I not have felt someone unzipping the backpack and then unzipping the inner pocket to take the wallet and then zipping it all back up? I wasn't wearing headphones, but I was reading my Kindle, so I was distracted.

Phone says it's a 2,6 mile walk back to the flat, in sweltering heat and I'm in bad shape. I made it back in 40 minutes - fastest I've ever walked without just running. Get home, sweating like Niagara falls, barrel into the room - wallet is sitting on the desk. Overwhelming relief. But I spent almost an hour freaked out of my fucking mind.

And my room's door handle is busted. Fuck today.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...from your attic? How did no one notice before now?

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Attic in a block of flats I'm guessing? Like a basement, but upstairs. I've had a bike stolen from a basement.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Just finished putting together my first asynchronous online course. It's . . . interesting.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Every flat in the building shares the same attic and everyone has the key.

7. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    So more of a storage unit. Attic makes me think of the space in the roof of a house, and I had the image of a burglar walking through your house carrying a bicycle and no one noticing.

8. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Groundskeeper

TOMD: Last exam was today. Let me tell you I prepared bigly! Now I'm celebrating bigly.

9. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    TOMD: Just got back from a graduation ceremony. Was guest speaker there, and damn did they receive me well. Really enjoyed the ceremony overall.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  10. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

Congrats!

What kind of graduation ceremony was it? Your profile says you're 16, which seems young to be the guest speaker for a graduation ceremony. Unless you're really super awesome and we don't know it. Or unless I'm missing something.

But that's awesome - feels good yeah? Sounds like you knocked it out of the park and you (and they) know it. *fistbump*

11. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    It was for sixth grade students (primary school here). And yeah, totally awesome. *returns fistbump*

12. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

You don't. It takes a couple weeks to learn the alphabet, and two years of full-time study to reach professional proficiency. Fortunately, expectations are low, and most of the upper crust will speak English. Dubai also has an enormous expat community, so you'll get around just fine without arabic. Just memorize the greetings, and people will be delighted by you! (for instance... tell your interviewers eid mabrouk this weekend for the end of Ramadan).

13. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    This. Just tell every muslim you meet "selama ashala'nore" and you'll be totally in. If that doesn't work, you could try "salaam alaikum" and the response is "alaikum salaam" (transliterations may vary dependent on dialect).

Skinny on other words:

Inshallah - God willing/ If it is the will of God

Mashallah - expression of gratitude/joy when something has occurred (because it is the will of God)

Alhamdulilah - An expression to praise God.

14. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    If you ever promise to do something you have zero intention of actually doing, follow it up with 'inshallah'.

You'll blend in fine.

15. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I just know this from World of Warcraft (of all things), can I get a double-check on this actually being a thing in Arabic? :sherlock:

16. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    It is not a thing in arabic.

17. KGB

KGB Unspeakable

Since it's the midsummer and I'm from the part of the world that has the tradition of getting drunk as hell on it I went around all my old haunts to see if something is happening.

And all of the dive bar's of my youth have turned into high end restaurants. Fuck if there is nothing like finding a 50eur a plate steak restaurant where you used to get cheap by the meter bear when you were 16.

18. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

Just entered into a relationship with a small blue-haired catgirl. In real life.

Still confused by the direction my life is heading in. Very confused.

19. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

How very interspeciel. Will you be going to the cons with her?

20. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

She just came back from one actually. But no. Cons are a cesspit of sweaty nerds, so I try to avoid them where possible.