1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    You better never run into Viktor Krum while going shirtless.

2. Innomine

Innomine Auror Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not sure I get your meaning here. 0.o

3. Koalas

Koalas Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Germans like them hairy.

4. BTT

BTT Order Member

But Krum's Bulgarian.

5. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Set Phasers to Melt Moderator DLP Supporter

It happened!

Looks good. :)

Edit: I was going to call you all idiots and quote the relevant bit from the book, but Joe's Nemesis beat me to it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Damn. I'm ashamed of all of you.

7. Koalas

Koalas Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Its been a long day of blackjack bs.

8. BTT

BTT Order Member

I didn't forget, I was just correcting Koalas.

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

TOMD: I got pulled aside to night by my store manager. He told me that starting tomorrow I'm no longer a temp but a full time employee.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Jesus Christ. I didn't know these things could happen.

I've been pretty desperate to find a job. The temp teaching job is wrapped up and I need some actual income to continue living on my own. I sent probably a hundred applications over the last few weeks. Nothing. Yesterday everything blew up.

Two interviews today (one done and already invited to a trial day, heading out for the second one in a bit). A trial day invite for tomorrow and another job is about ready to send me a contract for approval. Weeks of drought and then four offers in a day.

Now, maybe there's something smart I could be doing to exploit this, but honestly, I just want an entry level job that'll look decent on the resume next year. I'm still getting my degree and I want to actually try and find a job in my field once I have the degree if the farfetched plan of becoming a published writer doesn't work out. If one of those offers gets me a job by next week, I'll be happy.

11. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Auror

Gave an interview recently for a consulting firm. Definitely passed the tech interview (I was told by the interviewer), but it's been 2 weeks and the Partner still hasn't called to meet up with me (after which I start). I sent his secretary a message, and I get the answer that "he's busy".

Crossing my fingers now and praying shit's gonna be all right.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    TOMD: I have a job.

13. Teyrn

Teyrn Groundskeeper

TomD: Just finish reading First Lord's Fury, and with it the last of the Codex Alera series of books.

Am somewhat sad there's no more books to read, and still digesting the ending.

Will probably re-read the books in a month or two, because it was an amazing ride.

On to the Dresden Files series for now though.

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    TOMD: The language school where I worked part time held the final staff meeting for this term (it operates during the school year). I know the boss talked to my students to assess my performance from their point of view because the administrator (the lovely lady who handles paperwork and stuff, I never caught her actual job title) told me so in confidence.

At the staff meeting today I was invited to return in September when the school reopens as a more permanent member of the teaching staff, which really tickled my ego. That is great news for me, because the job I scored yesterday would be hard to fit into the week when my classes resume in October. Plan is to work the new job through summer, then go back to the language school in the fall.

Maybe I'm not quite so terrible at being an adult as I thought. Though I guess I'll know for sure when I have to do taxes for the first time.

15. Legacy

Legacy Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I bought new knives and finally a knife case today. This is why I'm not allowed to have free time, I just end up spending money.

16. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

TOMD: Spent three or four hours yesterday trying to get a library to compile with no luck. Errors didn't really make much sense, and it got to a point where I just moved on to something else and try again some other time. Tried this morning for a bit to see if something would shake loose, no luck. One of the guys I'm working with tried doing a fresh download and installing it, worked on the first time. Is now working on mine as well. Nothing was really changed that I could point to for it now working. Very much reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

What case did you get? I've been considering getting one, but haven't really had time to shop around.

17. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Order Member DLP Supporter

Feeling pretty great. Since January 15, I've lost 24 pounds and that's not counting however much muscle mass I've gained in that time now that I've started exercising and working a half-physical job.

In the last few months, I've:
    Gotten a job.
    Back in uni, all A's.
    Last year of my Bachelor's is fully paid for and I'll have a living stipend monthly.
    Fixed my car.
    New glasses and contacts
    Found a knife my father gave me as a gift that's been missing for two years.
    Internet is getting upgraded, and ethernet run to my desktop.
    Joining the YMCA for their gym.
    New clothes, new shoes.
    Credit score is going back up.
    Networking like crazy.

tl;dr: Other than the 24/7 stress and nearly unmanageable workload due to working full time while taking a double load of classes, everything is going alright. Feels weird.

18. Odran

Odran Prisoner

TOMD: In summer time, when it's 39°C during the day, 30ish°C during evening, I get sick. I get a sore throat and a mild fever and now I'm having to juice up on tea, soups and various other remedies, while also having to lie under heavy covers during the night so I can sweat it out.

As if the oppressive heat wasn't enough, summer is literally the only time of the year I get sick.

19. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD (yesterday) : For the first time since I started lifting weights, I lifted more than my body weight. I deadlifted 155 yesterday and I only weigh 150. It's not an enormous achievement, but it's oddly satisfying. I usually do not stick with my program long enough to start getting to weights I struggle with (Stronglifts).

Also failed a set for the first time because math r hard. My total weight on the bar was supposed to be 75 lbs, and I put a 25 lb plate on either side for 2 sets (of 5) after warming up on a bar with 5 lbs on it. Brain fart.

Oh yeah also I've got final approval on my mortgage to buy the house I made an offer on. Closing on the 7th of July.

20. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros.

Been a while since I was able to say I wrote some words.

Longer still since I could say I wrote 2000+ words.

Feels good man.