1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

TOMD: Just had a pointless argument on facebook with someone about Harry Potter, more specifically: Hermione being (supposedly) black.

It always amazes me how people who have no idea what they're talking about will pretend they have all the answers.

I simply pointed out that while Rowling has stated on her Twitter that Hermione's skin color wasn't specified in the books, this contradicts the books where it IS specified that her skin is white.

Cue in a shitstorm calling me a racist with zero knowledge of Harry Potter. :facepalm

I shouldn't have even debated with these people. If there's anything the internet has taught me so far is that it's just not worth trying.

This is also the reason I put all HP-related threads on AlternateHistory.com on ignore, because I automatically assume they're gonna be shit.

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    Just curious (because I haven't read the series in a long time) where is it specified (specifically and explicitly) that Hermione is white in the books?

I'll admit I don't buy the argument that Hermione was secretly black this whole time, but wouldn't it be rather foolish for the author to come out and say 'hey I never said what color her skin is! She could totally be black! " when it turns out they did.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is it also not worth asking "Why does it matter in the slightest the colour of her skin?"?

4. Andrela

See this post:

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showpost.php?p=885295&postcount=84

It doesn't matter. She can be black or white. What matters is unnecessary retconning.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

I've watched the first season of Hero Academy; All Might is now my new role model. Appreciate the new avatar, it's Plus Ultra lookin' at you.

6. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

A troll friend of mine once said that the biggest evidence that Hermione wasn't white is in her parents: both medical professionals working in the UK.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: Just got back from my first night shift. Amazing how 8 hours can change one's perspective on a lot of things. Physical labor is a torture method honed to perfection. I need to be losing weight faster. When you're stacking 10kg boxes, hauling your own fat around doesn't help.

Three months of this might just kill me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  8. Andrela

*Laughs in Physical Worker*

Welcome to the jungle.

I've been working rotating shifts for the last 3-4 years. What hours did you work? 10 to 6?

9. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Guy I know lost nearly 2 stone inside 3 months at our place, probably helped that it was the height of summer when he started.

It gets easier though. Till Christmas, at any rate.

TOMD: Used car hunting is a painful experience but, I think I'm finally closing in on what I want - and I'm finally having my first day off since February. Thank fuck.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fully half the dentists I've ever seen have been ethnic minorities and/or immigrants. Not sure your suggestion really holds any water.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Andrela, third shift is 11pm-7am. Two more this week, 2nd shift next week. Weekly schedules.

BsuperB, if it helps me lose a bit of weight, I can do it through summer, but fuck me if I'm staying in this job after that. Fortunately there's a separate contract for each month, so halfway through September I'll just tell them not to send the next one. Not like they're investing a lot of resources into teaching me to stack pallets.

12. Andrela

ScottPress

Got it, I work 10pm-6am, 2pm-10am, 6am-2pm.

Ah, the life of the Damned. Nothing like it. :)

13. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

The first week is always the hardest, after that you'll start to find your pace.

Have a big breakfast every day (weetabix are good) and eat during every break. Even though you want to lose weight you should probably increase the amount of carbs in your diet - you'll lose weight even with it and it'll make it a lot easier to get through the day.

Drink a shitload of water, especially since it's summer. You won't realise the amount you're sweating until you go home and your piss is brown.

Make sure you get a really good night/day sleep for the first 2-4 weeks. You don't need to be on top form mentally for labouring but it helps get you through the first couple of weeks.

Befriend your coworkers, they've been doing this a lot longer than you and they probably aren't working as hard as you. Not because they're lazy but because they know the tricks of the job and are more efficient.

You probably have already realised all of this, but I figured writing it down couldn't hurt. At least this way something useful has come out my time labouring.

Source: 5 years of physical labour on a building site during university and college holidays

14. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    I feel like I've finally become a true DLP author.

Today, I find my story has been plagiarized, right along side Perspicacity and a few others here.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  15. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Link doesn't work. Here's a working one.

I'll never understand why people do this though. Why would you take someone else's work and present it as your own? Does it make the plagiarist feel accomplished by receiving praise for something that isn't their own? Don't these people know that it'll inevitably be exposed?

And the worst part is that the plagiarist doesn't even have the decency to disguise the plagiarism. Everything has been copied verbatim, down to the titles and summaries.

EDIT: I checked the first chapter of Dagger and Rose. It even says "By Perspicacity". Holy shit but this person has gotta be a troll. No way someone's this stupid naturally.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  16. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

Landlady's grown son unplugged the mini-fridge with all my food in it. Apparently he didn't know there was food in it. Guess he thought it was plugged in for funsies?

Thankfully nothing spoiled, but I'm still pretty irked about it.

17. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    So, I went back to the page and read through some of the reviews. Then, I laughed my ass off after reading Pers's review of his story.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  18. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: Applied for a writing fellowship at the National Library of Australia. Decided to stop swaying between my day job and the writing, and just go full throttle at both.

Here's to the inevitable burnout!

19. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Drunk at a karaoke bar. Just got done singing a duet of Aqua's Barbie Girl.... as Barbie.

20. Palindrome

Palindrome Magma Moderator Moderator DLP Supporter

You're under the false impression that there's a horde of people trying to plagiarise. Nope. Aside from one or two outliers, it's all done by one guy.

Here's your reason: DLP made his bum hurt, so in return he spends his life dedicated to poor attempts at trolling. It's not even worth getting mad about, really, since it's just a bit sad - just report and move on.