1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. silentclock

silentclock Headmaster DLP Supporter

TOMYesterday: I closed on my first house. It's a red brick Cape Cod built in the 40s. It needs a bit of painting--I don't like any of the colors--but otherwise, I love the place. The move begins soon. I've got my apartment through the end of the month.

2. why?

why? First Year

High Score:
    They could be severely underweight. Before I started lifting, I was about that weight at 6'4. I looked and felt better, so I didn't complain.

However, I'm a tiny bit stronger and a lot leaner now at 155 lbs, compared to when I shot up to 175 lbs a few years ago. Slowly gaining works best for me too. I was driving myself insane over eating and squatting three times a week. Had my shorts rip at the gym twice. I was beginning to look like flippin' Donald Duck.

And to OP, regarding diet:

I tend to stick to fattier foods. Chicken thighs instead of breast, sardines and not tuna. Avocados. Cheeses. Whole eggs. Full fat Greek yogurt. Heavy cream or creme fraiche when making some pasta sauces. Cook most things with coconut oil or ghee.

One of my favourite snacks is a can of sardines and a mashed avocado with some chilies, onions, lime and garlic. Sardines on guac I suppose?

Bags of frozen veggies make life hella easier as well. Kale, broccoli, cauliflower etc. Throw in some eggs and cured pork of choice, and you got yourself a nice fried rice in 10 minutes.

Learning to cook made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable too. Cooking and doing dishes can be oddly soothing, especially when you do it on your own terms.

3. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

TOMD: posts on the previous page reminded me that I hadn't checked my limited index funds in a couple of months. Turned out they went up about 3.6 % in that time. Not quite as much of a return, but since they're fire-and-forget anyway... I'll take it.

TOMNight: fucking thunderstorms woke me up three times. I love the spectacle, but not at 4:30am, tyvm.

4. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

TOMD: Getting a little tired of fireworks until 1am. The fourth has come and gone, please get back to your lives...

5. Palindrome

Palindrome Magma Moderator Moderator DLP Supporter

Where I used to live in Leicester, for the entire month surrounding Guy Fawkes' night there'd be unceasing fireworks. I quite liked it though!

6. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

If it was at reasonable hours I'd be okay with it. I wouldn't love it, but I'd just turn up the music and move on. Problem is that they go on until 1am, setting off the neighborhood dogs with each one, and I have to be up at 6am.

It gets old fast.

7. RabidAsparagus

RabidAsparagus Squib

Finished 2nd year with a solid 2:1, up 9% from last year. I hope I can pull my grade up the remaining 3% for a first before I finish.

8. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Got an internship at the legal department of one of the world's top oil and gas service providers. Really really hoping gas becomes the next big thing if I get hired. Let's see how this adventure goes.

9. Rehio

Rehio The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Bad time for Volvo to announce that whole "Moving to only produce electric cars in 2019" thing. D:

10. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or France banning the sale of fossil fuel motors by 2040.

11. Innomine

Innomine Auror Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think he means gas as in LPG, such as peaking plants or the stuff you cook with.

12. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Oil is pretty much dying. I didn't expect a career there specifically Massive cuts were done already and I expect further leanings if more localised. Gas for energy for places that can't rely on solar is what I expect will be the future for these companies.

Anyone entering this industry thinking oil at more than 40-45 the barrel is insane.

13. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Alternately it's the gas and oil giants best placed to transition our societies to renewables, assuming the state doesn't cut them off at the knees before those technologies can be brought to mass market. Deep war chests and all.

14. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

Carb loading for a cycle tomorrow and really struggling. Never thought eating carbs would feel this much like work. x_x

15. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Unspeakable

Maybe some motivational music will help?

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Got a raise at work.

From 11.20 PLN per hour to 14 PLN.

Kewl, I guess.

17. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Have you practiced on your long cycling sessions? Glycogen storage capacity doesn't magically shoot up from 1500 kcal to 2000 kcal, you know.

18. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

TOMD: Stuck in a youtube spiral of Jacob Rees-Mogg. His voice and articulation somehow manages to be condescending, lyrical and charming at the same time.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    So...update.

TOMD: We have been on several dates and gotten to know each other outside of being in a foreign country. We both agreed we wanted to make sure we worked well outside of the context of hormone fueled vacation.

As of tonight, I am Officially in a relationship with this woman. Had dinner with my family. We went for an evening walk. I asked her.

She said yes.

20. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

Got the job. Come next semester I'll teach the mysteries of poetry analysis to wide-eyed (or sleepy-eyed) firsties.

Also got back from Hamburg just now. The concert I wanted to attend didn't happen because of G20 and all that.