1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

TOMD: The book I ordered arrived today. Gonna start reading it soon, it's gonna be great.

[​IMG]

2. Miner

Miner Groundskeeper

TOMD: Dislocated someone's elbow during basketball. Wanted to help him out and see if he was okay, but I was really not sure how to communicate all that and it wasn't helped by the fact that he was rushed off to the hospital by his friend.

Should be a simple, if painful, fix though, right?

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

Well, sometimes you can dislocate things and it's just a matter of popping it back in and you're good. Unfortunately, a lot of times a dislocation is accompanied by the tendons/ligaments that hold it together hyperextending or tearing in the process. I've never dislocated my elbow, so I can't speak to the likelihood of that in particular, but shoulders at least are about a 50/50 chance you're fucked.

4. vlad

vlad Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    Just bought Stellaris because I have finally exhausted myself on CK2 and EU3.

Goodbye, free time.

5. Palindrome

Palindrome Magma Moderator Moderator DLP Supporter

Get a small box of chocolates or some sweets and give it to him next time you see him. Snacks can go a long way to smooth hard feelings.

6. Seyllian

Seyllian Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He lives. Praise the lord.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

First day (orientation day) of uni. Rocked up to the starting lecture covered in sweat after riding in because my car is in Canada. Things can only improve from here. Oz why the hell do you do this bicycle thing for fun??

8. silentclock

silentclock Headmaster DLP Supporter

He probably gets it, as long as it wasn't a dirty play. I play basketball with my college buds pretty much every weekend. Collectively we're of middling to above-average ability, and we tend to play pretty hard/rough. But it's generally pretty clean and we try to make sure nobody gets too hurt. That said, you can pretty much count on getting banged up. It happens about every week. Whenever somebody gets hurt in a more serious way, they're generally understanding.

I guess it depends on the group/how close you are. And also how it happened. Most of the time, basketball injuries have a pretty innocent cause.

9. Miner

Miner Groundskeeper

See, I would do all of that, except over in China you literally just bring a ball to a nearby court and there's usually like thirty strangers there and you just play.

And I'd really want to do something nice for him, by way of an apology, but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to see him again.

Oh well, I'll probably go back next week with something nice in a backpack or something just in case he shows up again.

And I'm not really sure if the play could be classified as dirty. I probably would've drawn a blocking foul. But I didn't like stick out a leg to trip him or anything.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Prisoner DLP Supporter

I got 0 hours of sleep last night, even with a sleeping aid. Not sure why, but it pisses me off. I had only gotten 5.5 hours of sleep the night before, so I was really tired.

11. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

Work having a shower helps!

12. Jarizok

Jarizok DA Member

Miner lock scum.

In other news, I bought myself a guitar today.

I don't know how to play the guitar, but I figured owning one was as good a place as any to start learning.

13. Oz

https://www.justinguitar.com/

Last I checked his lessons are free, and decent enough to get started.

Remember: Eddie ate dynamite; good bye, Eddie!

14. Jarizok

Jarizok DA Member

That's what the guy at the shop said as well, and I did remember. Yay me! Thanks for the tip, I'll go check it out.

15. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    I did my FAFSA yesterday. For those of you who don't know, that's the information portal for the FEDERAL government to decide how much money your Pell Grant is worth this year, and how many subsidized (and unsubsidized) loans you're eligible for. Between my wife and myself for the relevant year they were asking about, we made ~31k between the two of us, before taxes. My expected contribution to my education this year is approximately 3.5k, and the feds will cough up the other 2k.

I know we made slightly more money than that in recent years, but I find it hilarious that someone, somewhere, wrote out a formula that when I put with "total income for 2 people: 31k" said "these two people can live on that, and should have saved 3.5k of it to pay for school."

Its okay though because to stave off the impending stress related decision of deciding to take out loans, or just OT go to school until I can get a better job, I decided to look at the poverty line according to the feds (which was 16k) so my wife and I, together made about double that.

And here I thought two people working making 31k wasn't that great, but I suppose comparatively we aren't doing that poorly.

I just have a bitter taste in my mouth because I don't have a lot of expendable income, or savings since we just bought a (small) house in an okay neighborhood so now we are house poor.

I know we have made more money in more recent years (I think this year we will gross 40k or so...) so it's not like we are actually stuck with that amount for income. I just can't imagine how someone would live, and feed 2 people on $16k. We have pretty tight belts ourselves at about 40k (and buying a house was cheaper than renting).

Of course the worst part for me is, if I'd buckled down and really went trying to get a law enforcement job instead of following my intellectual passion, I could literally double our income by getting a job as a deputy around here. Entry level for LEO around here (as a trainee) is 40k.

16. BTT

BTT Order Member

TOMD: lifeguarding like every summer. Today was hot as fuck, which was predicted. It was also dry as fuck, which wasn't. Weather report said it'd storm today with 64% chance for rain, not a single fucking drop. Barely even any clouds.

Tomorrow'll probably be another 8-hour shift.

17. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

Exams tomorrow. Finished studying early today, then busted out 2,6k words in a tasty one shot you can peruse at your leisure in the WbA.

My breath also stinks of sausage.

Good night, DLP.

18. Oz

So are we just not doing the "Know how I know you're gay?" thing any more or what?

19. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

TOMD: Finally got my own battlestation. That is to say, I've upgraded to a desktop finally. Kind of stoked.

20. Seyllian

Seyllian Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Welcome to ascension, brother.