1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Nice. Enjoy yourself! It's an amazing feeling.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Day 5 of a keto diet combined with a minimum of two hours of fairly intense exercise per day. I want to die. I've also averaged ~2500 fewer calories in than out, so there's that, which has the potential to be nice.

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I'd wait with exercise until you're somewhat fat-adapted. Keto is amazing, but the transition can be rough. In any case, make sure to stay hydrated and get enough sodium/potassium/magnesium. Things will get easier. Also, enjoy the bacon, and welcome to the Keto master race.

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    >>Optimal ketone levels offer many health, weight loss, physical and mental performance benefits.

This sounds like some tomfoolery. Is there any evidence to substantiate that the burning of ketones gives you increased mental performance? Or is it like this snake oil commercial I watched the other day where they're pushing this pill that has some enzyme or something from jellyfish that is supposed to increase mental acuity?

I mean, is this not the Atkins diet? Where you eat nothing but protein/fat? Or is Atkins a Faux Pas anymore.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I don't know about mental performance, but it does good things to your waistline, that much I can confirm. It makes sure one is more easily satiated, and it's actually quite sustainable after an initial adjustment period. There are some disadvantages, but the advantages do outweigh them, at least for me.

6. Zombie

High Score:
    If only I had the body fat to diet.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I have everything planned out for each meal so that I'll maintain what I need to in order to not have a bad time. Things are actually pretty easy already, minus the workout recovery time. I'm probably just going to further increase calories from protein to fix that though.

All diets are more or less BS. The important thing is picking the one that you can most easily adhere to. For me, that's this one. Also I'm averaging 2/3 of a pound lost per day, so it's hard to argue with the results. If I keep it up until mid-March I'll be down to 180 pounds.

8. Zombie

High Score:
    What's your average calorie intake?

9. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

You've been doing this for 5 days, right? That rate will likely slow down some since most of the loss at the start is water weight. Not that it matters much. Weight's still melting off afterwards, just not as quickly.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I'm going by calories burned vs calories eaten for it. Controls for water weight. Also making sure to replenish fluids on a regular basis to avoid hydration issues.

Calories in 1500, calories out 4,000.

11. Zombie

High Score:
    You'll be cutting pretty quick then initially, and then it will taper off after about two weeks. Your activity will definately increase the burn, but not by a super noticeable amount. Are you trying to build muscle in the process, or just cut fat?

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Muscle build is incidental. I'm lifting, and I'm eating a ton of protein due to the diet, so I'll get some gains from that but the beginning is just to get my weight down. Once I'm hitting the benchmarks there for weight and cardiovascular health, I'm going to shift my emphasis over to weights.

13. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

I loved the keto diet, because it was really easy to do. Protein shake for breakfast, grilled chicken, mixed greens and coffee for lunch; tuna, hot sauce, mayonnaise and steamed mixed veg for dinner. It didn't actually feel like a chore, unlike most other diets I've tried.

The problem was cutting back the drinking. Because holy fuck does keto ruin your tolerance somehow, on top of generally avoiding it due to the carbs. I went out with mates for a pint or two before my birthday, and woke up the next day having to hustle out a girl I'd not seen in over a decade, so I could go on a quest to find some shoes.

TOMD:
    Brother's going back to uni tomorrow, so we had a family games night. As he bought me the new expansion for Scythe, which now has airships. Four hours later, with one drop out due to confusion, we finally settled the fate of Eastern Europa. My brother won, again, but by less this time.

I've got to stop letting him be the Russians.

14. Koalas

Koalas First Year Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Thaumologist how did you find it expense wise? Had a buddy that did it for a couple months and loved it but said the grocery bill was just too much.

15. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

With decent prep, it isn't too expensive.

But I had a lot of the kitchen stuff (steamer, blender for shakes, etc) already, and a costco membership (so cheap food, if you buy too much of it) All these figures taken from tesco, so going to be slightly out:

So a pack of chicken thighs comes out to ~£0.50 or less per piece. A mixed bag of salad is under £5, and lasts the full week. Buying low quality instant coffee works out to less than £0.10 per cup, and cream for a week is about £1.50. Less if you buy creamer caps.
    Tuna is ~£1 per can. Hot sauce and mayo work out at pennies, because they last for fucking ever. Mixed frozen veg works out about £5 per week if you splurge.
    Protein powder (water based) is about £10 per kilo, but cheaper when you buy bigger. But even with a much more expensive one, I don't think £0.50-£1.00 per serving is too far out.

So, per day, it's upwards of £5, but that's all three meals.

Now, I did have some snacks added to that (either another shake(£1.00 or less), or a protein bar (at £1.50ish), or chicken sticks(at £1.00 ish)), but I was almost definitely spending less than £10 per day on all my food.
    I was also getting through an indecent amount of pepsi max at first.

Although diet Vimto cordial was a goddamn lifesaver - it completely satisfied any desire for taste with drinks, and I can generally get it for £1 per bottle.

Also, I'm fine with eating the same food every day for weeks, as long as there's enough of it. I wasn't enjoying my food, but I wasn't disliking it.

...So not great if you're on a tight budget, or if you want to save for stuff.

16. Solfege

Solfege Order Member DLP Supporter

My understanding is it depends on your biochemistry. One major partitioning is between people with high insulin sensitivity and normal insulin secretion versus people with poor insulin sensitivity and high insulin secretion. Traditional bodybuilders are gifted as the former, particularly the high insulin sensitivity, and lose fat easily on high-carb low-fat diets, while the latter (for which I'm one genetically, and which overweight/obese are particularly) benefit more from ketogenic diets.

Partial to high insulin secretion is the bloating and lethargy accompanying a high-carb meal. When I did a six week trial of keto last year, around week five I did feel a sort of mental clarity/lightness that's difficult to describe. It was likely conflicted, since I was at a 1000-1300 kcal daily deficit for most of the week (with one carb-load day) and my sympathetic nervous system was pretty depressed. I took the caffeine + ephedrine combo to help with that, but still felt it.

Lost ten pounds in that period, maybe one of which was muscle. Intend to go for another ten sometime this year and get below 170.

You can do a pretty bare-bones keto with just protein shakes and fiber/nutritional supplements if the goal is fat loss, but I'd prefer to digest real meat when I can. Like Gio said, best diet is the diet you stick to.

Not only that, but alcohol majorly inhibits fat oxidation.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  17. CareOtters

CareOtters Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Been reading some old reviews of fics I heartlessly abandoned. The mewling cries of anonymous FFnet readers threatening to kill themselves if I don't update is bland, albeit satisfying, but the real treasure is seeing the valid criticism - because let's face it, no matter how objective we try to be, it's easy to feel a little aggrieved if somebody says a bad word, however gently, about something you've just written.

The clarity of hindsight makes it absolutely hilarious. And, yeah, just about all the criticisms of my ham-fisted first drafts you guys have thrown my way were valid.

18. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

What gets me the most are helpful, thought-out reviews about grammar and spelling mistakes I made in my earlier stories. Since I'm not a native speaker, they abound -- especially in the word barf I created when I was starting out. Using proof as a verb, writing literary for literal, lie/lay: things that I've long corrected but which nevertheless make me cringe a bit when they're brought up.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how much leeway people give you when they're interested in the world/characters -- which they are by definition if they're searching for fanfiction.

19. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

It is a verb, it just has some oddly specific applications, i.e proofing a gun (initial test firing), proofing bread (letting it rise from yeast action), proofing an engraving (making a trial print).

English, as a language, makes no fucking sense.

20. pbluekan

pbluekan Auror DLP Supporter

To be honest, Eilyfe, your mastery over the language in the last few years is nothing short of astounding, to say nothing of your storytelling.

TOMD: Took my last practice test before I take the GMAT in 11 days. My average over 3 practice tests is a ~700 so I think I’m ready. It’s got nothing on the MCAT, but I took that on a lark, more than anything. I actually want/need a good score.