1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Seems to be better now. Nose leakage decreased, fever is gone. I still have a cough so hacking that the worst hack in the history of writing would be envious. I'm gonna will this thing into submission because I've got shit to do tomorrow and fuck me if I'm going outside spitting my lungs out piece by piece.

My sneezing today could power a wind turbine. Can I just pass out and die plz.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

MSRP means nothing. The only number that matters for the dealership is the price at which they purchase the car. I assume you're not using financing. If you are, they like to make it up on that end.

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nope, cash. I have all the leverage.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    TOMD: Obi-Wan and QuiGon fought Darth Maul in my Anakin quest. They both died this time around.

I has a sad.

5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

I've just entered into a half marathon. In May.

I think I'm going to die.

6. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

Getting ready for a half marathon by May is super doable!

If you've never run any kind of long distance before your strategy is going to be a jog/walk/jog one (if you have, ignore me).

For your training start off with the couch to 5k plan to build up a base, then your training will probably start to look like 2 easy runs during the week and one long one on the weekend. The long weekend run might start at something like 7km, and just add a km or two each week. Once you have the couch to 5k finished you'll be amazed at how quickly you can start adding the miles to your runs.

On the day itself, drink plenty during, eat plenty of jelly beans and just have fun. I've found with those events the excitement of the crowds can carry you through the toughest parts.

Also definitely have a plan worked out for getting home, and some post-run food and drink ready. A Lucozade sport and one of those Muller rice pots, and a packet of crisps always do the trick for me.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: On a whim searched DLP for PotDK and found a review thread from 2008 in the Trash Bin. That was a genuine surprise.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

Thanks Oz.

I'm actually already running - 5k Mon/Wed with a local running group, although upping that to 8 once I get road shoes, and then up to 10 after I get used to it, and a parkrun most weekends. I've got a 10K every month or so too. And I've got family going too, so I've got a lift there and back completely sorted.

The jellybeans are something to look forward to though

9. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Prince of a Dark Kingdom?

That's been floating around forever. We recycle old review threads, or at least we did to put them back up for rating. So it's probably fallen out of favor, again.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Decided to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity on a whim. Just my luck, it was fucking tile day. They had this is unbelievably cheap shitty 7 in table top wet saw with a blade so dull Terri Schiavo could run circles around it. Worse: They expected me to use. I noped out of there and came back an hour later with my own, and told them I didn't care about policy, I was using my power tools for this job.

400 square feet of flooring tile later, I have no regrets.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  11. X Kronos X8

X Kronos X8 Fifth Year

TOMD: Discovered that New York State nonprofit incorporation law is a byzantine labyrinth of pain in the ass regulations and completely absurd wait times. Thankfully, the hell of government bureaucracy was lightened by some genuinely caring people doing their sincere best to be helpful.

So, Delaware it is!

12. awinarock

awinarock Heir

Reconnected and got drunk with an old friend. Felt nice.

13. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    A while back, I mentioned applying to uni again.

I've got most of the paper work done. Will hear back from two of my top choices within a few weeks.

Redacted. But the tl;dr is I sent the wrong essay (still missed that, after checking multiple times) to a third school I applied to. I quickly e-mailed admissions and they've since gotten back to me and said they've edited things accordingly. Hope this doesn't bite me in the ass. But oh well. Whatever.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Was accepted into my course of choice at my local Uni. Four years and I'll be a High School teacher.

15. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

This sounds so American to me, it makes me smile.

Welcome to the profession. There seems to be a goodish amount of teachers and soon-to-be teachers at DLP now. Which subjects are you going to study/teach?

16. TheWiseTomato

Cheers. I'm looking at English and History; haven't decided if I'll go Ancient or Modern when the time comes yet. I'm actually thinking about going into Remote/Rural teaching. It'd be an experience, at least.

17. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    Congrats on getting in Wise Tomato!

Teaching can be really rewarding, and a great way to travel. One of my friends just moved from Thailand to Brazil. He teaches Maths/Science at an international school, I think.

Is it for a Bachelor of Education? Or a BA with a teaching option?

Just wondering if an education degree is a hard requirement for teaching in Australia.

18. TheWiseTomato

Bachelor of Education. It's a requisite for teaching full time in Aus, and you have to choose between Primary or Secondary. You can do things like teach music without it though.

Medium term goal is to teach English overseas, so travel is definitely a bonus.

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

My Staatsexamen is roughly equivalent to a Master degree, but it's not quite the same. I wonder if I'm able to teach overseas with that though.

20. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    International private schools tend to have their own requirements and, as far as I'm aware, are more relaxed. The friend I mentioned has a degree in Geography and I know maths teachers with engineering and stats degrees who taught at international schools.

I imagine it depends on how much control whatever external regulatory body (state/government, I guess?) has on the private school in question. But in general, just a bachelor's degree + certifications are enough. There are a few specifically designed for people who want to work in IB schools, I believe.

Don't they award you an MA anyway though? Thought they would, after the Bologna process. When I was in Germany, the Lehramt program at my school was BA+MA.