1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. X Kronos X8

X Kronos X8 Fifth Year

In your experience, is that common when it comes to volunteer based construction work? Or, when you said you decided to volunteer with Habitat, it was for the first time?

I ask because I've considered using Habitat as an opportunity to do some good while gaining some relevant and useful hands on home construction experience for down the road, and a first hand account is always helpful when it comes to making a decision. :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I am not quite sure how it is handled in other states, but in MV we still do a Staatsexamen, so no BA/MA. The same was true for my sister in BaWü.

3. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    TOMD: I made cookies.
    Actually scratch that : I've been baking cookies for a while now as they're one of my favorite snacks and today I can safely say that I made the best cookies ever.
    I am now a master of the classic chocolate chip cookie.

On an unrelated note my stomach hurts.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

In a horribly stereotypical way, it is.

So Habitat builds are fine, but they do insist that you use only their power tools on job sites. It's a great way to get some hands on experience with doing things, and I would recommend it.

5. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

Ten years ago today I signed up to DLP and I don't regret a second. <3 you guys.

6. pbluekan

pbluekan High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Fuck you too.

<3 <3

Oz
  7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That is, until you cut your hand off when using a blunt miter saw.

TOMD: Happy hour after work. Been busy as all get out for the last four months, and this is the first time I've had to relax with colleagues in a while.

I still don't know how much I added to our tab. I suppose I will find out tomorrow.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Their other power tools were in good repair and relatively new. It was just the tile saw that was complete shit.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

I know a few people from my immediate social circle who have taught overseas without anything approaching a Bachelor of Education. They had degrees, usually tangentially related to what they were teaching, but that's it. There are a shit ton of dubious 'qualifications' you can get through Aussie colleges and learning institutes that purport to set you up for teaching overseas.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: TIFU by purchasing 146 square feet of remnant granite with the plan of fabricating my own countertops. Pros: only paid 700 bucks. Cons: I now have ~2770 pounds of granite sitting around until I hit that stage of the kitchen remodel.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Finished my work bench. It ended up being a lot sturdier, and a lot heavier, than I'd initially planned. Now I get to move onto other projects, like learning how to make dovetail joints so that I can finally get rid of the really shitty end table we currently have and replace it with something that doesn't suck.

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    BaWü recently (2015?) revamped its Lehramt programmes to a BA/MA system. MAs are supposed to start for the Winter Term later this year. I taught a tutorial this year and had the opportunity to talk to some of the new students in the relevant BA programme. They seem to like it so far.

TOMD: Managed to create some forking beautiful pork sliders with self-made garlic aioli for SB52. Now back to the sandwiches while watching #ranNFL…

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

I swear to fuck, as soon as I get a place with any kind of work space I'm right there with you on this one.

14. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Might be a new trend then. In MV, the tendencies are there as well. We have a strange mixture here. The degree itself is still the Staatsexamen, but the way to get it is modularized and not really distuinguishable from a BA/MA, except for the big thesis paper that has to be handed in at the end of each.

As for whether that's good or not, I'm straddling the fence. It undeniably offers students more structure in their studies, and some might need that. However, since the modularization set in, students also got far less time for term papers (about a month) due to regulations. Even worse, that time falls squarely into the exam phase. Now the study ordinance also heaps a lot of rules on students that restrict their freedom (e.g. there are set limits by which time you need to have taken certain exams and succeeded, or you might get exmatriculated). For students who prefer to study more slowly (or simply have to) because they work on the side or have a family, or any of a hundred other reasons, this makes it quite difficult.

I guess except for the loss of term paper time this doesn't phase me too much. I'm almost done anyway. But I do see problems with the trend.

15. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Chief Warlock

TOMY:
    Did my first 10k in a while - I think my last one was in October, before moving house? Icy conditions, but the organisers had put on live music most of the way around the course, and the goody bag is widely agreed to be one of the best in the UK (It's Mad Dog, for anyone interested).

But I was 6 seconds off a PB. So I've now got another 26 days to improve before my next one in Anglesey.

Oz, why?
  16. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD(Month): Housekeeper's kid has ecoli and has been in the ICU. Refuses to let me pay for the medical bills and is talking about having to terminate her employment with me. She decided she'd rather keep her kid in a daycare than keep him at the house where he could socialize with my kids. So, the docs around here put him on an anti-biotic regiment that didn't take, and now he's worse than when he started.

I never understood it but didn't fight her for it, because maybe she had some other reasoning. Then he got ecoli because the daycare is apparently dirty af.

I don't want to have to find a new housekeeper because the last time I did hiring I had fucks showing up to my house wearing ears and tails and claiming to be a furry(is that right?). So I'm going to pay for his medical stay and hope he pulls through, but I guess I'm going to have to start taking apps again.

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

TOMD: I saw my favorite band last night, for the 6th time, and am really enjoying the fact I planned in advance to take today off. Going to walk the dog, eat some sushi, and just generally not do anything productive today.

18. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Had my final dental fillings taken care of today. 21 goddamn cavities that formed within months. Aggressive Periodontitis, I guess, with all the worst damage forming in strange places at the back. I just didn't catch the damage forming in the time frame; the last time I went to the dentist my teeth were perfect.

They still can't tell me what exactly went wrong. The first doctor I saw just kept telling me about how cocaine damages teeth whenever I tried to bring up how to prevent it from happening in the future.

Two of 'em are too wrecked to save and have to get extracted. That'll be my next tooth adventure.

19. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Do you use cocaine?

Also , have you had any steroid shots recently?

20. CareOtters

CareOtters Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Fuck's sake. I'd have preferred the ecoli.