1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Legislative staff instead of campaign staff.

2. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah. Evil gremlin instead of evil mastermind.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Gremlins don't work 100-120 hour weeks 6-7 months out of the year. I hit a point during my last campaign where I realized I couldn't physically do that anymore.

4. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Order Member

That... is a long week, forget the "anymore" part, managing that in the first place is insane.
    I mean damn, do I need to worry about someone coming to wipe my memory of you accidentally admitting to having a timeturner?

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: Was googling upcoming premieres of the shows I follow and just now found out that Homeland S7 has begun. That's my day made.

6. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

So apparently yesterday in the wee hours of the morning some guy was shot and then his body was driven into the parking lot right next to this frat house that's relatively close by to my dorm and left there.

He was apparently still breathing when they found him but dead on arrival to the hospital.

And to think that was right around the time I was getting back from Chicago ._.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Found out my department was getting restructured complete with top to bottom lay-offs on the 8th, solidified a (slightly higher paying) job yesterday in a nearby area, and have a first-pass phone interview with a larger firm tomorrow to maybe go work there instead. 12 day turnover feels nice.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    So I've been coming to some big realizations lately. I hate college. I don't like the routine of lectures, exams, and grades, especially if I feel like half of that time is being spent in classes that do fuckall for my future employment prospects or to further my grasp of the English language. I want to use English, not study aspects of it that only matter to linguists.

I'm getting better at teaching, getting actual practical experience, and after a frank conversation with the boss, formal credentials matter little given my demonstrated knowledge. Basically, she doesn't need me to get a degree. So now that that's settled, I'm done with higher education. In five years I flunked out of med school and completed 2 years of an English bachelor's and I've hated every minute. This is an unbelievable load off my shoulders mentally.

The new problem is that I have bills to pay, and my current second job is a joyless soul-sucking black hole of misery. I've cast my resume net into the waters of the Internet. Had an interview today, went well, I think. I'm through into the second round of recruitment. I got the interview off a resume that lists no higher education, so perhaps I'm not as worthless as I feared. This new job I'm looking at has flexible hours, which means I wouldn't have to give up the teaching gig, which I like, but which is very much a part-time affair still at this point.

Hopefully, this time next month I'll be in a new job, still teaching, and free from the stresses of college (which I'm in the mental and formal process of dumping). I need some stability that doesn't revolve around a class schedule. Yay adulthood.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Drew up a list of my media backlog - all the books, games, dvds and tv shows that I own (or have on Netflix/Amazon) that I haven't got round to yet. Concluded that I either need to take a year off work, or cut about two thirds of it out and be a lot more choosy about my entertainment from now on.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    See, this is where being an unsociable recluse is a positive thing. Plenty of time to whittle away at your backlog after work if you have no social life.

11. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

I left a review on a fic that was posted on DLP a few months back, and a few days ago contacted me back asking if I could beta for them.

Apparently my review, fanfiction.net profile and my 4 chapter story I abandoned in 2012 impressed them enough to ask for my help. Slightly baffled, but I did enjoy their story in spite of its flaws and agreed to do it.

Holy crap, I didn't realize how betaing another story could massively help my writing. They have a similar problem I do about telling rather than showing and by helping them solve their issues, I am helping focus on my own.

Now let's hope they aren't too intimidated by my response as I may have gone just slightly overboard on the number of comments and advice I gave them. I did give them some links with examples on how to help show-not-tell and more.

I am both motivated to write my own story for the DLP challenge, and completely wiped out. I spent hours in the last few days reviewing their 18-page chapter.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    Ah, the joys of being a beta reader. You never realize how mentally exhausting that is. It can be rewarding, especially if you work with an author whose work you like (shoutout to @Swimdraconian) but doing a thorough edit of a few thousand words takes work.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Getting weird phone calls. Yesterday I got one from a number that was literally only 4 numbers off of mine. Like, if my number was 5,000,000, the number that called me was 5,000,004. Only the last number was different. And today, I got another call except it was from a number that was only 3 off. wtf.

14. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its a count down. If we don't hear from you again, RIP.

15. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

It's a common scam technique, people are more likely to answer numbers similar to theirs. Just keep ignoring them.

16. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

Someone's trying to scam or social engineer you my dude.

Change your passwords and don't answer the phone.

17. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

I got one of those calls yesterday from the number 1. Just "1," nothing else. Pretty sure it was either a scam or the ghost of Alexander Graham Bell, but either way I'm not answering.

18. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

Spent about two or two and a half hours trying to debug some code that we were sure should be working properly. Gave up and called it a day, deciding to corner the TA after discussion and get help tomorrow. Was sitting at home feeling frustrated and decided to tinker with it some more. I added print statements before and after the line of code that was causing everything to crash for no good reason (literally all it does is update a value stored in a struct). This magically makes it work. I messed around with it some, and it looks like both are needed, and the first must be at least two characters, and the second four characters for the code to run properly.

I could mess around with for loops to narrow down the exact amount of busy work to make it work, but tbh I'm tired and annoyed and it just makes no sense at all. Why should there need to be some amount of work being done before and after accessing memory in order to avoid a page fault?

... I'm going to bed.

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

20. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

You are probably writing into some memory location that you shouldn't. Adding a print statement changed the way the program uses memory, so the problem appeared to go away. Have you had any practice using a debugger or even something like Valgrind?