1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. BTT

BTT Headmaster

While we're on the subject of papers:

TOMD: my bachelor's thesis has been tentatively accepted by my advisor, although I've still got to make some changes. I also still need to make a poster, write a text intended to make the plebs understand what it's about, and defend it, and my exams are right around the corner, but I'm pretty elated.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Fair. Your median person has no idea how to evaluate a scientific study. Your median person also isn't getting their assigned reading from experts in a field though.

And people actually bring highlighted papers in? Like that's a thing? Why is that a thing?

Congrats on your paper being accepted!

TMD
  3. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like to diagnose myself from WebMD. Its always worse than what it really is. Kinda like looking through the symptoms list to see whats going on with me lines up.

Invariably like 80 percent of the time, cancer is on the top of the symptom list, and all I can be like is, "No shit."

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

My ford got another new clutch today. Which coincidentally qualifies me for payment from the class action lawsuit that is happening over how shitty they are.

5. Zombie

High Score:
    Enjoy your ten dollars.

6. CareOtters

CareOtters Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

10-day anniversary of joining the 500 club. And I know that 500 words is a pittance in the grand scheme of things, but after going for perhaps a year without writing for pleasure, it feels so good to have a regular habit again.

7. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

According to south today, there's a middle earth exhibit with lots of film props and original notes from Tolkien in the bodleian library in Oxford. There's a letter from Pratchett as a fan to Tolkien. I'm so there. TOMD for sure.

8. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

TOMW: Got my first ticket for my internship this week, and it was described as 'simple'. All I had to do, was go in and change the UI to stop collecting some info from the user because it wasn't really useful and they wanted to clean that section up. Oh boy was 'simple' such a bad descriptor for what followed.

Turns out that field is used all over the place, as I quickly realized when I took it out and ran the spec for that section of the code. Initial few errors were simple enough to correct, because I just had to tell the spec to stop trying to give us a field we didn't want anymore. Things got fun after that though, because turns out that field (which was described as "completely unnecessary"), was used all over the place. Got to a point that I checked back in to ask if they really wanted me to go through with it, and who I should partner with because as an intern on his second week I have no way of knowing what we should replace it with in certain areas.

Was asked to do a full accounting of where it was used and how, so I made a nice markdown file (so happy I picked that up last semester) where I documented its use as I chased it through the code base. There turned out to be a few hundred mentions in the repository, of which ~50 needed to actually be checked out, which I narrowed down to eight genuinely concerning pieces of logic that would have to be reworked completely if this field stopped being a thing.

So the final outcome of my 'simple' first ticket to "get me started with the codebase" by removing a "completely unnecessary field", was to scrap the idea entirely and change nothing.

... At least I got a pretty markdown file out of it?

9. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

Tomweekend:
    Colossalcon.

10. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

TOMD: Discharged after shoulder surgery. Nearly no pain, though sleepless nights here we come!

11. Clerith

Clerith Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

I just accidentally cooked (and ate) five days ago expired chicken. It tasted a little funny but I was able to eat it no problem. That was four hours ago. I guess I should be fine?

12. Zombie

High Score:
    As long as you got it up to the right temp and was it from frozen? Or fresh. If fresh add about six days to your best by. If frozen you're fine as well. The taste could be attributed to something other than age depending on how you cooked it.

Super market best by dates are never indicative of when product is actually bad. It's just a suggested date for freshness factor. And a tool for the floor people to keep spoiled merch off the floor.

13. Clerith

Clerith Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

It was fresh. Well, in protective gas. Glad to hear the six days, especially from you, who knows a lot better than google idiots. I do usually try to stay in the best before date, a day over is fine, but this was kinda pushing it for my mental comfort. Thanks.

14. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

10x500 = 5000. Now that you've been amazed by my powers of arithmetic, let me say that 5k words is better than not having 5k words, and fucking good for you to be back in the game.

In other news: grinding the lol solo-q. Got from Silver 4 to Silver 1, then got demoted again. Now I'm hovering between S1 and S2. Of course, like any player in that elo, I believe myself much better than I actually am.

15. Seyllian

Seyllian Unspeakable DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Graduated high school today which is also conincidentally my birthday. You could say it was a good day for me (and my bank account agrees).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  16. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    Congrats man! It’s a crazy world!

17. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMW: Won my election in spite of some attempted last minute backstabbing (not unanticipated) with 77% of the vote. The ringleader doesn't know that I know it was him yet.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    Giovanni, if you ever get terminally ill...could you write a memoir and leave it to us detailing all of the insanity you've seen? Just based on your posts here...I'm really intrigued by all the stories you must have.

19. Zombie

High Score:
    'Dear diary, someone gonna die ta-day.'

20. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Grab a drink with me IRL some time. You'll hear some funny stories.

Oddly enough, no. Friends close, enemies closer.