1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Zombie
    Huh. So it does. Thanks!

2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

TOMD: today, I casually learned that a colleague who was a 'temp', rota'd onto the same job as me for four months earned greater than £6000 more than me per month, post tax. What a fucking huge disparity. I don't begrudge him the money, but it's not hard to see why so many people are leaving the NHS if that's the difference between market value and salaried.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

It's such crap as well because if they converted that vacancy into a training post like a JCF or FY2 LAT someone would very likely take it and work for the usual dogshit NHS doctor salary - but the rank incompetence and laziness of rota planners and staffing managers means it's just easier to let a locum take the job.

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No problem, this is what I have Prestige set to:

upload_2018-6-7_15-57-18.png

Its a work in progress, tbh. I've been working on different themes for the forums for a bit now. Too picky though.

5. Rehio

Rehio Heir DLP Supporter

Good day at clinicals - Easy nurse who's busy but still likes you and helps you out a bit.

First level of hell - Nurse who doesn't care at all about you.

Second level - Nurse who focuses on you and ohgodstopjudgingme.

Third level of hell - Get assigned the charge nurse.

Fourth level of hell - Get assigned to the charge nurse and she gets really invested in your education that day.

My level - Got assigned to the charge nurse, she was super invested in me, and she only had one patient so she could focus all her time on me.

---

"Take an hour to research the patient and all his meds. Then you're going to run a full head to toe assessment on him and I'll just watch. Afterwards, I want you to go chart in the system and we'll go over what can be improved."

Well, I learned a lot today.

But it was... stressful.

Edit: Oh, and the patient has worked in healthcare for 40 years. So he fucked with me on purpose while I was asking him questions. D:

6. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

... The more I hear the happier I am with my decision not to go into medicine.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Small thing of my day; a comment I left on their facebook page got read out on Mark Kermode's radio show this afternoon (British film critic, for reference).

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    TOMWeek: Back in a kart for the first time in forever this week, doing the shakedown on short notice for a friend who had sprained his ankle a couple of days before. The whole thing was brand new (or as new as can be), the bumpers and other bodywork still spotless and unmarred by stickers. It was my first time in a shifter kart as well, which was marvelous fun. The feeling was good, the last couple of laps were absolutely flat out on barely used tires and minimal fuel. Unfortunately, we only managed to arrive at the track in the afternoon, so we ran a little bit out of time in the end. Also, I felt the weight I put on in the last couple of years. Suffice to say that the overall was a little bit tighter than usual…

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: So far I've averaged 6 events per day since taking on this position. My predecessor worried that I wouldn't glad-hand enough, and that my preferred style of communication (abrupt, blunt to a point well past rudeness) wouldn't play well with stakeholders.

Wrong. People who write checks hate BS. That's how they got into a position to write big checks in the first place.

10. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    A buddy wanted to read my dissertation. So, I pop it open and decided to take a quick gander at it myself now that it's been several months since I graduated. Read through the first page and a half, until I came to a typo. Really? This is the file that was sent to be bound, so it's in the bound version as well. SMH.

11. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

Just put in my notice at my current job. Been working as a systems administrator for about a year and I've loved it - I still do!

But a 100% salary increase is hard to beat.

12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:

No matter how many times you read over it, there'll still be typos. It's the nature of trying to look over a document for the hundredth time that you've spent years preparing.

If it's any consolation, my own dissertation has a handful of mangled LaTeX references and at least a half dozen typos in formulae, including an egregious one that ended up in a paper I published on that section, necessitating an erratum. On the bright side, twenty years after the fact, after having wrung all the articles I could out of it, I've never bothered to go back to read it. I don't think I even have an electronic copy anymore.

TOMD: My dissertation advisor was just appointed a Knight Bachelor. So after twenty years I have to call him "Sir" again.

13. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Literally laughed out loud. Thanks.
    And yeah, I'm wringing my first article out of out this fall. Going to present at a national conference for feedback, and then see which journal I can get to publish it.
    --- Post automerged ---
    If you love it that much, can you sit down with your manager and tell them you really don't want to leave, but increase is just too much to turn away from? Who knows, they might give you enough of a raise to make sticking around viable, and if you already know you like the company and the job, it's definitely worth a try.

14. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

I actually took my manager out to lunch and we had a really good talk about it. He was disappointed but encouraging, and gave me some really good advice. Funnily enough, I had actually just gotten a raise last week, but even then it's still double what I'm making now, and unfortunately there's just no real way for a fulltime permanent position to match the rates you can charge with an incorporated entity.

15. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Congrats, then. Hope yo enjoy your new job!

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    TOMD:

At work tutoring.

Cause it’s summer we get people from the local community college come in as opposed to our university.

Kid needs help with English 1101. Paper. Worth 10% of grade.

The “paper” is fricking fill in the blank. The professor has basically written the paper for the students, they just have to fill it in with the information from a few articles.

*headdesk*

I don’t blame students if they haven’t been prepared, but that’s something that should be done in a remedial class. Not fricking English 101.

/rant

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    TOMD: I'm off to another city today (some 160km away, 100 miles for those of Imperial persuasion), actually sitting in the bus right now.

Bus has WiFi, which is nice, I guess, but it's not beefy enough for Netflix and I hate watching on my phone.
    At least in a train I'd have a folding table to scribble something in my notebook. And more leg room. Atm a plastic panel digs cruelly into my knee unless I fold my leg under the seat. This is one of the few situations in life when being 5'10 too tall. 3 wonderful hours of this. We're scheduled to arrive at half past 6pm.

There was a train at 2.30pm, but 2.30 is when I get off work, so the bus it is.

I'm travelling today because I'm finally taking the FCE exam tomorrow - 8am. Then back to my town in the evening.

There was extra panic this morning too, because when checking my overnight stay reservation I was shocked to see I had mistakenly booked the wrong night, the 10th, so there was no way to switch the booking to today. So in addition to the general loathing I have for travel of any kind, I'm out the price of a hotel room for my own carelessness. At least they had a single left for today, so I grabbed it.

All in all, I'm pretty miserable at the moment, so I'm going to treat myself to some delicious greasy junk food when I arrive and then relax before the exam. I'm rather confident I'll do well (though doubts always linger about the written part, because exam essays are expected to be written to their annoying guidelines; I think it should be more free form) and I want to be done with it already. Assuming that I pass (which I am, after all I think my English ain't bad) it'll be nice to boast some formal qualification, given that I dropped out of college.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I booked my overnight stay at the same hotel where the exam will take place. By God, it's in a boring location. Nothing around, for a mile in every direction, not even a pizza place. I was born in this city, my mom's family lives here. I'm reminded why I don't like coming here.

Guess I'm gonna cancel the evening out and just finish Sense8. I can't wait to be back at my place.

18. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: Meetings in DC with the powers that be. Now on a plane back to New York.

It was all a logistical nightmare, but worth it to put in the face time.

19. Paradise

Paradise Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Got a brand new sig, thank you @Zombie :D

20. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What am I supposed to do with you.
    /smdh