1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Legacy

Legacy Unspeakable DLP Supporter

TOMD: today was a busy day at work and didn't feel like doing anything after I got home. Good thing I ignored that feeling because I finally have my first prototype for my card game. I have family and a few friends coming over to do some play tests this week.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Wife was at rehearsal so I decided to surprise her with dinner when she came home (usually, we cook together). We had already planned on eating a ham steak, so I added pancakes, eggs, and bacon rather than salad and starch.

She. Loved. It.

3. Blorcyn

Blorcyn High Inquisitor DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I imagine both of your hearts were a flutter that dinner. Badum tish.

Has that settled though, with dose reduction?

4. BTT

BTT Headmaster

TOMD: we (meaning me, parents, and two siblings) just arrived at the apartment in France where we'll be spending the next week. It turns out that this apartment is right above a psychologist's clinic. We might be in for an interesting week.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Went gorge walking for the first time, which, although enjoyable, did confirm that I'd be useless in any sort of adventure or actual survival situation.

6. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

Went to a bar with some fellow interns yesterday and we kept getting glares from our waiter when we stuck around after paying our check. Thought he was just being a dick since there were plenty of empty tables so we weren't blocking new customers, but it turns out we deserved it. The guy who paid the check sent us a picture so we could Venmo him our share, and it turns out he only gave a $7 tip because it "brought it up to a nice $150".

So yeah, a 5% tip on a $143 check seems like a reasonable reason to glare...

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    American tipping culture continues to be insane, I see.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    I tip at least 10%, usually 15 when I have the money. Personally, I don't think tips are required and if you don't want to tip you shouldn't have to; it is the employee's choice to work for a company that doesn't pay minimum wage and rely on Tips. Its a gamble.

9. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

I tip 15% for good service, go up to 18% for excellent, and down to 10% for poor. I've only ever tipped 5% once when the service was abysmal.

I may dislike tipping culture, but it is what it is and I'm not going to make some poor waiter's life harder to 'make a point' about it.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why would you tip for poor service, let alone abysmal service? Genuinely don't understand that...the point of tipping is to reward good service.

11. Legacy

Legacy Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Main reason for that is because they're paid subpar wages and live off those tips. Secondary reason is that for most restaurants and bars a portion of the bill is put towards a tip out to the bartenders and kitchen staff. Doesn't matter if you tip the server or not, they will have to contribute to that pool.

Least that's how it's been at any halfway decent restaurant I've worked at.

12. CareOtters

CareOtters Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It may not be required for you to tip, but it's absolutely required for a working person to be paid for the work they have done. Don't use shitbag employers as an excuse to screw over other people because you're cheap. There are vast swathes of the workforce that have no choice but to work in hospitality and customer service roles for reasons like age, inexperience, scheduling conflicts with childcare or education which can only be accommodated by shift work. Nobody chooses to work for an employer who refuses to pay them enough to survive unless they have no other choice.

13. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

I have to agree. Even for bad service I always tip a minimum of 15%. Generally I do 20-30% ranging on the quality of service. It really has to do with working many years in the hospitality industry while in college and that shit sucks. I've worked at places ranging from shitty to high end. It's a soul crushing job.

What a lot of people don't realize is that what you tip the server doesn't always just go to the server. You have to tip out the bartender, you have to tip out the bus boy and sometimes I've even seen them tip out the cook staff. When I worked, we were paid anywhere for $2-3 an hour. Our manager would baseline us at the minimum wage of $8 at time, so we would get taxed as if we made $8 an hour even if we didn't. And if you go to a lower to medium end place. They give no fucks. You break something? You pay for it. Someone walks out on you? That's coming out of your pocket. There have been days that a customer walked out and the server actually lost money going to work that day. Who the fuck wants to go to work and lose money? Yeah, so now that I can afford to be generous. I always tip them well even if at times they were garbage, because sometimes it's a shit day and I've been there.

So while I agree, it would be nice to pay a livable wage. It isn't the servers fault it is the way it is and I don't see the point in punishing them just so I can feel like I put it to the system.

14. Innomine

Innomine Unspeakable Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To add onto Careotters point, this is the most dangerous part of the libertarian outlook, deferring responsibility by victim blaming. It’s easy to just step back and say ‘they made a bad choice’. It makes it someone else’s problem.

Problem is, people rarely choose the corcumstances they find themselves in, and a choice between bad and worse is no choice at all.

15. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always tip 20%, less based on poor experience. In most states they pay servers less than minimum wage because they account for the tip in their wages. It's fucked. It's a shitty situation. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right.

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    To clarify, as I said I do tip...but I don’t think you’re a crappy person for not tipping. It’s not the customers job to pay employees, it’s the employer.

17. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It still goes into a pool if you do it digital or just leave money on the table. Tbh you shouldn't work with the expectation of making a tip and if you get one consider yourself lucky.

My employees were paid over minimum and they were never expected to get a tip. So when they got one they knew service was great.

Thing is only shit owners still do tipped systems. It's so they don't have to pay into futa and suta and fica. They just let the workers handle it at the end of the year in their taxes. Also they can do some shady shit with the numbers that way.

Tipping culture in the US is a hold over from when shit like that mattered. It's definitely garbage, but it's also the people agreeing to under minimum wage fault. You get tips. But you still have to report them. Just let accounting handle the wages properly and pay the tax for you it's less hassle. Kinda like they're enabling the whole system.

That being said. I usually tip 20 top 25 percent. I have tipped a penny before. Because fuck that guy. They sucked at their job. I considered buying their business just to fire them myself.

18. Innomine

Innomine Unspeakable Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've lived in Aus & NZ my adult life, and I've never tipped at a restaurant. The idea of paying extra on top of the meal is genuinely mind boggling to me.

Edit: I presume the food you guys get is much cheaper to compensate for employers not having to pay a decent wage, though, I guess.

19. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Not really. I've yet to see a correlation between cost of food and the presence or lack of a tip line on the check.

20. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Actually, as it turns out, it was a reaction to the drug I was trying (first day, matter of fact). Switched back to the normal drug, but it took almost four days for it to clear my system.

I have one more I'm going to try. If that does work, screw it. I'm sticking with what I'm on.