1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. sonder

sonder First Year

Yeah, it's still a thing. I about had an aneurism when I found out they kept passwords in plain text. I thought that would have killed them. Her account was absorbed by someone for farming so we couldn't get in.

2. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

God, I remember Neopets from when I was barely a teenager. How has it not died yet?

3. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Auror DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

TOMD: Back in March, I collaborated on an educational project at a few different hospitals and one of the other people submitted it to a national conference as a poster, and she's now moved to New Zealand so I got to present. What was unexpected was their select 'Summary Oral presentations' which I was not expecting at all. Fortunately, I think my short improvised speech went alright.

What was particularly fun from the conference today was that there were multiple choosable workshops and one was on art in education. It was basically an hour with a bunch of people who wished they'd done a creative degree instead, discussing music, theme and narrative structure in film. That was super cool.

4. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

TomD: Finally upgraded my PC. It's so nice.

5. Rudolph

Rudolph Second Year DLP Supporter

TOMD: I finally have fucking internet back in my house after a month and ten days of it being down due to Michael.

Oh god, the fucking updating. Jesus fuck WHY

6. walkjj

walkjj First Year

Hungry hungry poop machine, AKA my daughter, has successfully reached 4 weeks. Not too sleep deprived, though residency study has fallen by the wayside as expected.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Wife and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary today. There may be adult beverages consumed.

8. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Congratulations! Make sure you tell Sprog all the good stories.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    That's the fast track to clearing the room. (And then whom would I play Gloomhaven with? Without a Quartermaster to tank my Bonesaw, I may as well just grab a Kindle and read.)

10. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

TOMD: Watched the Grindelwald movie. Actually loved it even with its flaws. Came home only to notice my door was refusing to cooperate and had to call the locksmith. Big yikes.

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I don't know how many here have read Chandler, but I just wrote an essay where I attested Phillip Marlowe, the embodiment of hyper-masculinity, to be forever alone because he had to suppress his homosexual tendencies in the LA of his time (in The Big Sleep). The evidence, as you might imagine, is somewhat flimsy.

Lucky I don't necessarily need the grade. I'm very curious to see if I sold it to my prof though.

12. Microwave

Microwave Sixth Year

It's not the strength of the evidence that's important but the rigidity of the bullshit.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Minister of Magic

High Score:
    English Literature classes are bullshit and based on how well you can bullshit.

We read an “academic” article on how Dickens uses Great Expectations as a novel length euphemism for masturbation.

14. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Mhh. I think I've got to defend English Lit. at least a bit. Some of the things are quite interesting and actually make sense. The problem is that some people take it too far.

Referencing another narrative I can, for example, totally appreciate how contextual information helps to trace post-colonial tendencies in a story. The step I've got issues with is when a story is suddenly supposed to be about incest because a guy brought a snake from India to stealthily kill his step-daughters and get the money from their inheritance. The snake is here a phallic symbol. The daughter's room in which it slithers is by proxy penetrated by the step-father.

That's the kind of thing I mean. Everything in that story can be explained with "the father is a greedy fuck who recently got back from India and has no compunctions about murder." I have no idea where the incest suddenly comes into play.

Anyway, I guess it's as with all things. Good in moderation, a pain in the ass if taken to the extreme.

15. TMD

TMD Professor DLP Supporter

TOMD: There's only one academic neurosurgery job in the whole UK for graduating doctors, at Cambridge. Had my interview today and pretty sure I smashed it - i'd say 8.5-9/10 overall. Wasn't perfect because I didn't get to show off my biggest strong points as much I wanted, and I don't think they were completely convinced that I can get my proposed research done within the allocated time-frame of the job. The questions about my existing research and the clinical scenario I definitely did well on. Results 16th January.

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Minister of Magic

High Score:
    I can respect that point. I think my key issue with it is that literary theorists are moving beyond literature into anthropology/psychology etc., but they don't have the training/guidelines that those academic disciplines have developed for best practices. As a result, literary theorists are more prone to extremes because they are operating in a world of imagination as opposed to reality. And then those extremes become the standard for the discipline.

Personally, Literary theory should stop at the New Critical method. Anything beyond that belongs to other academic disciplines.

17. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

It's difficult to say where to draw the line. Race, gender, class, psychology, history -- these things can, and absolutely do, play an influential role in literature. Jekyll and Hyde pairs nicely with matters of psychology, especially non-sexual Freudian concepts. The same goes for Dickens and class. There are a lot of examples like this.

The question is when does it become too much? I think the problem is that literary critics are primed, from the beginning, to find patterns in everything. But just because something can have a possible meaning, doesn't mean that it has to. Then again, who's to say what meaning can and can't be attributed to it? The author is dead, remember?

With literary scholarship I find myself continually trapped between the absurd and the feasible, not quite knowing which is which most of the time.

I have to say though, I think studying this has done my writing some good. The in-depth analyses, though crack-pottish at times, are good for getting ideas if nothing else.

18. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Groundskeeper

University results were just released. Currently getting absolutely mortal at 9am in celebration. I don't have work until the weekend so I'm thinking a three day bender

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

If you want to have sex, I’d advise getting it in before you do any molly. Be careful about candy-flipping, but don’t be too afraid either. Opportunity lurks. So does misfortune. If you start seeing shadow people in broad daylight, get some sleep. You've likely gone too long without. If you see spiders, something went wrong.

If you just want to get drunk, I’ve got nothing. Get shit-faced and have fun. You’ve earned it.

Please report any resulting funny stories. The community will thank you.

20. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

fuck you say?

Anyways have fun, be safe, hope you have hot friends, share all the highlights.