1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Death Eater

Not so much a bad employee, as an utterly unhelpful one.
    Ever get stuck with tech support/customer service just reciting a script- no matter how obvious it is that the script has nothing to do with the problem and will never solve it? That's a jobsworth, basically.
    Also something I've never actually heard used either.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Pedantically sticking to the rules at the expense of common sense and/or courtesy. He'd been in two or three times trying to buy currency, and failing because he didn't have sufficient ID with him for the amount he wanted to buy. I don't necessarily disagree that the rules are a pain, but I had to stick to them. He was also probably annoyed because I'd had the temerity to ask him not to swear.

3. Garden

Garden Minister of Magic

Moved to a more social part of the city where I have many more friends and a great apartment for hosting parties. Man. Hosting parties/pregames for going out/chillouts is such a social cheatcode. Highly recommend it. Making tons of new friends/acquaintances from meeting the friends of friends, always having people asking me what's going down this weekend instead of having to ask other people what's going on, etc.

Never been happier even though med school + research is hilariously busy.

4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

What are the rules around buying currency (exchanging currency?) in the UK anyway?

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    It might depend a little on which company you're buying it from; I've always been told our policies are industry standard, but every now and again we'll get customers saying they've never had to follow them anywhere else - but what retail worker actually believes what customers say?

As far as our policy goes:
    If you're paying by card, you need driving licence or passport. If you're buying £2000 or more, you need both, or one plus something like a bank statement.
    If you're paying by cash, and getting less than £1000, no ID needed. £1000-£1999, driving licence or passport. £2000+, as above.
    If we think you're dodgy, and can't put you off doing the transaction, ID no matter how you're paying or how much you want!

6. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Auror DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Bad employee. As in literally, you ask someone to do something relatively simple that may not be the letter of the law and 'it's more than my job's worth.' They do things by the book even when it slows productivity and is moronic.

7. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Weather forecast for the week is 26 inches of snow. Super early in comparison. Already have like six inches. I'm fucking ready for it.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Depends on the person using the term as well. I've seen it used on perfectly reasonable employees who refused to break the rules for a customer.

9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

What is this "competitors" you speak of? It's just all Xfinity, all the time here. :(

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Am being made to spend a week in Paris and Bordeaux for work.

The crosses I must bear...

11. Paradise

Paradise Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Paris ain't looking too hot right now my friend.

Spent an hour and a half waiting for my teacher to take a test after school. He eventually had to go to meeting and felt bad so he just gave me a 100. gg

12. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I had a scene bouncing in my head for a while now. I was looking forward to writing it. Now that it's on the page, I'm bummed out. It's slow. The interactions feel stilted. The dialog is wooden. Worst of all, it doesn't fit the theme and plot as I thought it would. Even before coming to the end, I know the story is much stronger and smoother without the scene. I had to cut it out and condemn it to oblivion in the failure doc.

#Feelsbad #Writerproblems #Drinking #Angrymasturbation

13. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

Also known as "Monsterbation"

14. sonder

sonder First Year

Yule Ball was cancelled, but one of the Ph.D's told me I have a beautiful smile, so on the balance, good day.

15. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

Managed to download Black Ops 4 which I got free with my cpu.

God I'm terrible at shooters on the PC.

16. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

Got the crisis at work cleared up. Thanks for all the advice DLP!

Got a bit lucky - after some time my boss found my team being described as hostile funny and her boss is actually leaving in the new year so no long term damage has been done. That said, I did have to take over the project so yay, one more thing I need to deliver...

17. TMD

TMD Professor DLP Supporter

TOMD: Saw Hamilton. Was absolutely incredible.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Managed to build consensus for a relatively controversial proposal at my most recent board meeting. I took it from surviving a motion to table by one vote to passing with 85% of the vote.

It took two hours, and I had to ask a really dumb question to allow others to save face when they changed their votes, but damn was it worth it.

19. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

So am I the only one hoping that when Giovanni retires from public life he'll finally tell us who he is? Because it'd be super fun to go back through and try and connect the dots.

20. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Groundskeeper

TOMD: (Please excuse the grammer in this story I've been smashing over priced gin and tonics in the airport bar for the better part of today).
    it's honestly so cooked. i'm still not sure it happened.
    so last night i'm drinking with some friends to celebrate one of them getting a ski-instructor job overseas. which he left today for.
    so we're all drinking and being general degenerates. When around 2am one of my friends, sam, goes to bed. he drew the short straw and was driving to the airport.
    meanwhile me and the friend who is leaving decide to kick on and keep partying till he has t leave the next day. which is of course the absolute worst idea we could have had.
    so by about 4am this comes to bite us in the ass as we're crashing hard and we realise there is no way he his going to be able to navigate the international departures for the first time in this state.
    but i being the genius and good friend i am suggest we use Sams coffee machine to sober up and get in fighting shape.
    this ends predictably badly as neither of us know how to use it or are in any state to figure out.
    so i man up and decide it's a great idea to wake up sam to help us out of this predicament
    the thing to understand about sam is he sleeps like a log. so to wake him I end up hving to shake him very heavily.
    this causes his eyes to snap ope and he rises from his bed dead set like count dracula or something.
    so i try to explain what we need and he is having none of it. he agrily replies that he has no coffee, has never had coffee, and even if he does he needs it for himself and that we should order our own over the internet.
    To which i reply that it makes no sense. but before i can say this he grabs a squirt bottle off his side desk and stucks guzzling it down. but something about it doesn't look right in the pre-dawn light. so instead i say. "sam I don't think that is water".
    his reply will stay with me until my dying days. "I know exaclty what I'm doing this is baby oil". he then puts the bottle down gently as if scared to drop a single precious drop of the "elixer" . The he immediatly passes back out dead to the world.
    I reach down to the bottle pick it up and hold it to the light. sure enough he had just drunk 50ml of johnsons baby oil.