1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. theronin

theronin Order Member

Hey now, not all of us are incompetent. But agreed, nothing says "is it Friday yet?" quite like bricking an expensive piece of hardware...

Does this count as "relaxing sea noises"?

2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

I have absolutely no idea about programming whatsoever but the video was very well made. Loved it.

@Palindrome What exactly does "bricking" hardware mean? I assume it's not literally taking a brick to it. Do you overload it with tasks it can't handle or something like that?

3. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

@Eilyfe It means to fuck it up so hard it night as well be a brick because it'll never work again.
    --- Post automerged ---
    My dad is crying for the second time in my life and it's breaking my heart. It's nothing that I can talk about with my friends and they'd pry so I can't tell them, so you guys are the best I got.

... Just felt the need to tell someone.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    One of my favourite ever fanfics - The Sound of Sorcery - updated yesterday. After twelve years. That's a hell of a new year treat (I assume, I've not read it yet), and does make me feel a little bit better about how long it is since I updated Hallowed.

5. The Waco Kid

The Waco Kid Groundskeeper

TOMD: Am playing an overnight ultimate tournament that starts this evening. Naturally, I woke up two hours earlier than usual today, because my body is helpful like that...

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Huh. Just found out today that I may be hired for a full time faculty position that I got turned down for a while back. Turns out, 2019 might be looking like a great year so far.

7. pbluekan

pbluekan Order Member DLP Supporter

I’m honestly surprised this was in the recycle bin. Probably because Ginny features as a main character and DLP was ... way less friendly to her character back in the day. But, it’s quite good and has held up pretty well.

8. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its not in the recycle bin. Its in Almost Recommended. The whole point of Almost rec is that if it hits a certain threshold it can be moved into the library proper. It started out there, but it didn't age well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  9. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

I am now tempted to look into how strong 3d printed things can be. Have had an idea for something that could potentially be 3d printed to make mine (and my brother's) life easier when painting doors.

10. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Depends on the plastic you use. I'm not an expert on them, but a friend of mine is big into it. From what I hear, there's definitely some pretty sturdy filaments out there. Nothing huge; you're not gonna get anything comparable with stuff built to be rugged, but with some decent engineering and the right filament you can get some surprisingly sturdy stuff from a 3D printer.

If you wanna lay out exactly what you're trying to do, I can ask my friend and pass along what he says about it.

11. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

Thinking of something sort of like what's in this self-made (shitty) Paint picture.

1- screw it to the top and bottom of a door (grey lines in the pic are the screws)
    2- balance these brackets on sawhorses (so they'd need to support the weight of the door)
    3- Spray one side of door, use handle (Red) to flip the door, spray that side
    4- Stack doors on top of each other. (Example of how you'd stack them in the picture)

(Actual object, made of metal and a tad bit expensive
    https://www.millin.co.nz/cq-door-stackers-the-door-painting-system/innovative-products/

Reason I'm wondering about 3d printing is because while metal would be a lot sturdier, plastic would potentially be cheaper. Alternative would be to see if some local metalwork places may be able to make something similar.

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: I had a 6 hour layover so I went to see the new Mary Poppins film.

Mary Poppins doing burlesque has definitely awoken something in me.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I was totally dismissive, but now I might need to see this.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
    *Emily Blunt doing....

Mary Poppins is and always will be Julie Andrews.

15. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

TOMD: friend has decided not to vaccinate her children.

tl;dr no longer invited to her wedding

16. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

How about the funeral?

17. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Bummer. You could have given her a bottle of distilled water as a wedding present, it being an incredibly potent homeopathic panacea, possessing infinite dilution of every conceivable toxin.

I do hope she has a good collection of crystals for her chakras and that she has practiced proper geomantic alignment of qi. It would not do for her or her children's humors to become imbalanced because of feng shui and ill symmetrized ying yang force fields.

18. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Just landed after hang gliding and did not, in fact, get ejected into alligator filled rivers as promised. Pretty freaking awesome as a group activity and you can find a place for like $150/ea for flight and photos if any of you want to scare your SO's.

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

TOMD is that I'm moving (<--- Shiny new location there :D), and into my very own flat too, because fuck getting someone else rich by renting. I'd rather be broke. To that end, I had a very surreal meeting with my account manager, so ... story tiem 8D (Nota bene, for the non-Germans: Germans love nothing more than everything regulated in neat order, well-planned and predictable. This includes 20+-years fixed-rate-loans and mortgages. That, plus their permanent work contract == they know exactly where they will be in 20 years from now. And the worst is, most times, it's actually true.)

It started with that I walked into the bank and already knew what I wanted, because I had spent a weekend learning everything I needed about loans. (I had literally no experience and thought that was how you did it. TL;DR: No.) A fairly small loan, flexibly paid back as fast as I can, within three years at most, hence: a floating rate loan pegged to the EURIBOR (currently at -0.3something, praise the ECB and their quantitative easing), which, short of a new banking crisis next week, would come cheaper than anything else. I knew this, because I had built various computer models simulating this and that case, best cases, worst cases, etcetera.

So in with the laptop and papers under my arm I went and set up the whole thing on the desk of the account manager. He was looking at me oddly. Apparently, people do not walk into his office with computers. Because I thought it was polite, I let him start. He then spent 15 minutes explaining to me a financial construct I had already considered and discarded (8-10 years of paying back, come the fuck on, do I look like a cash cow?), so perhaps that wasn't the best choice; nevertheless, I used his updated terms to calculate the amount of interest and fees this would cost me while he was talking.

He looked confused and asked me what I was doing, and I told him I was calculating the cost of his product, and that it was more expensive than what I had in mind. He looked into his computer again, and suddenly, it got cheaper. Still too expensive, though. I told him that I wanted a simple EURIBOR loan. Now he looked as if I had asked for a pony, said this was highly unusual and went to talk with the manager. He came back with figures, and true enough, it was cheaper. He wasn't happy about it, though (perhaps naturally, he and the bank are getting a lot less of my money, that's what "it's cheaper" means), and tried to argue. I showed him my model.

He told me I was being very scientific. (Well, so sue me. My degrees need to be good for something.) He then told me to be less scientific. People don't get loans by looking at numbers, they get the loan that feels right.

Insert silence.

I was staring at him. He was staring at me. In front of the window, a fucking bird was chirping.

WHAT. I don't think I have looked as bewildered my entire life. There must have been the weirdest expression my face. Some kind of complete blankness. Like ... I don't know what to say. What do you even say to that? (Except, perhaps, that suddenly, an entire financial crisis makes sense.) The pinnacle of an impossibly strange hour (probably for both of us). I think I told him something about this feeling very right to me to reassure him, but I just couldn't get over that. At least I got what I wanted, in the end, somehow, so I left the bank reasonably happy and reasonably poor, but that was really something else. Feels right. When getting indebted. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

:confused:

But that aside, yay owning property. Now I get to pay taxes ... and more taxes ... and no holidays any time soon ... but yay owning property.

20. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:

As one who, upon my grandmother's passing a couple weeks back, is in the process of leveraging a few-million-dollars buyout of a family property from cousins/aunts/uncles who value liquidity over, well, income and value (and I have yet to pull the trigger because I'm still running the numbers for tax implications), I sympathize fully.