1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Bummer. You could have given her a bottle of distilled water as a wedding present, it being an incredibly potent homeopathic panacea, possessing infinite dilution of every conceivable toxin.

I do hope she has a good collection of crystals for her chakras and that she has practiced proper geomantic alignment of qi. It would not do for her or her children's humors to become imbalanced because of feng shui and ill symmetrized ying yang force fields.

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

Just landed after hang gliding and did not, in fact, get ejected into alligator filled rivers as promised. Pretty freaking awesome as a group activity and you can find a place for like $150/ea for flight and photos if any of you want to scare your SO's.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

TOMD is that I'm moving (<--- Shiny new location there :D), and into my very own flat too, because fuck getting someone else rich by renting. I'd rather be broke. To that end, I had a very surreal meeting with my account manager, so ... story tiem 8D (Nota bene, for the non-Germans: Germans love nothing more than everything regulated in neat order, well-planned and predictable. This includes 20+-years fixed-rate-loans and mortgages. That, plus their permanent work contract == they know exactly where they will be in 20 years from now. And the worst is, most times, it's actually true.)

It started with that I walked into the bank and already knew what I wanted, because I had spent a weekend learning everything I needed about loans. (I had literally no experience and thought that was how you did it. TL;DR: No.) A fairly small loan, flexibly paid back as fast as I can, within three years at most, hence: a floating rate loan pegged to the EURIBOR (currently at -0.3something, praise the ECB and their quantitative easing), which, short of a new banking crisis next week, would come cheaper than anything else. I knew this, because I had built various computer models simulating this and that case, best cases, worst cases, etcetera.

So in with the laptop and papers under my arm I went and set up the whole thing on the desk of the account manager. He was looking at me oddly. Apparently, people do not walk into his office with computers. Because I thought it was polite, I let him start. He then spent 15 minutes explaining to me a financial construct I had already considered and discarded (8-10 years of paying back, come the fuck on, do I look like a cash cow?), so perhaps that wasn't the best choice; nevertheless, I used his updated terms to calculate the amount of interest and fees this would cost me while he was talking.

He looked confused and asked me what I was doing, and I told him I was calculating the cost of his product, and that it was more expensive than what I had in mind. He looked into his computer again, and suddenly, it got cheaper. Still too expensive, though. I told him that I wanted a simple EURIBOR loan. Now he looked as if I had asked for a pony, said this was highly unusual and went to talk with the manager. He came back with figures, and true enough, it was cheaper. He wasn't happy about it, though (perhaps naturally, he and the bank are getting a lot less of my money, that's what "it's cheaper" means), and tried to argue. I showed him my model.

He told me I was being very scientific. (Well, so sue me. My degrees need to be good for something.) He then told me to be less scientific. People don't get loans by looking at numbers, they get the loan that feels right.

Insert silence.

I was staring at him. He was staring at me. In front of the window, a fucking bird was chirping.

WHAT. I don't think I have looked as bewildered my entire life. There must have been the weirdest expression my face. Some kind of complete blankness. Like ... I don't know what to say. What do you even say to that? (Except, perhaps, that suddenly, an entire financial crisis makes sense.) The pinnacle of an impossibly strange hour (probably for both of us). I think I told him something about this feeling very right to me to reassure him, but I just couldn't get over that. At least I got what I wanted, in the end, somehow, so I left the bank reasonably happy and reasonably poor, but that was really something else. Feels right. When getting indebted. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

:confused:

But that aside, yay owning property. Now I get to pay taxes ... and more taxes ... and no holidays any time soon ... but yay owning property.

4. Perspicacity

High Score:

As one who, upon my grandmother's passing a couple weeks back, is in the process of leveraging a few-million-dollars buyout of a family property from cousins/aunts/uncles who value liquidity over, well, income and value (and I have yet to pull the trigger because I'm still running the numbers for tax implications), I sympathize fully.

5. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

If I owned the townhouse I'm renting, I would've ripped most of the walls out this weekend. Aluminum wiring and AFCI breakers seems to be a winning combination.

I'm like 95% sure I could rip out the back walls, run a new circuit on copper wire, and solve all my problems without the landlord ever knowing. It'd be doing them a favour given the general state of the electrics in this shithole. But maaaan if they did one of those 48 hour notice property checks while I was working on it, I'd be thoroughly fucked. Tempted though.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When family cut up what's left over of your legacy for what they can get out of it I'd take paying taxes any day.

That's why when I die my shits taken care of and my family won't have to worry about cutting anything up. It's better you buy it than let them sell it to someone else only to let a house development or some shitty of tree farm move in though.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Don't waste your money and make the landlord fix it. If it's not fixed right then make sure they know.

7. Erandil

Erandil Headmaster

You guys are starting make me feel bad for being the one being bought out... But honestly, I prefer hard "cash" over having to take care of a farm hundreds kilometres away and destroying my relationship with my brother by disagreeing about its future.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Heir DLP Supporter

TOMD: Fuck the Crimson Tide. Completely destroyed by Clemson

9. Perspicacity

High Score:
    You shouldn't feel bad. Each case is different and you do what's best for your own financial situation.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Yesterday was inauguration day in Wisconsin. This meant more or less all day events followed by a black tie optional gala. I danced for six hours.

Now existence is pain.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion Minister of Magic

High Score:
    It was beautiful. Trevor Lawrence is a beast. Really wish we had gotten him to Georgia.

12. Perspicacity

High Score:
    The good kind of pain?

13. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tony Evers is worth a little pain.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  14. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Found out a couple of days ago I did, in fact, get the faculty position. And, the salary is a full 20 percent higher than I was told in the interview. While it is not the ideal, it's a faculty position and those are getting harder and harder to find.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

The kind of pain where walking is actually agony for your feet because men's opera pumps are not designed with dance comfort in mind.

Governor Evers is going to do a spectacular job in office.

16. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

I got my first ever death threat today, on Facebook no less, after a post on a political topic. Interestingly enough, the guy works in the same place I do, two buildings over from me. And I know his boss.

This should be a fun conversation.

17. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

Please keep us updated. I've always wondered what it would be like to confront someone who sends death threats.

18. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

You know, I'm really torn here. Part of me wants to just walk up to him and say "alright, here I am, kill away!" and part of me just wants to show the whole thing to the police and his bosses and ignore him completely.

I guess a third choice would just be to screenshot the whole thing and post it to the FB account of our organization. That might be a good time I guess, now that I think of it...

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    On one hand, it's totally fair game to take it to cops or the guy's boss.

On the other... It's a "death threat". On Facebook. The retardation of progressivism stands on the foundation of people choosing to take words on the Internet as if the other guy is right in front of you calling you a soon to be dead faggot to your face. If Anita Sarkeesian had learned to just ignore what people say to you on social media, she might have had a successful career of some sort today. As is, well...

Then again my death threats came in times when Call of Duty was still a significant part of my life, so what do I know.

20. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just make sure shit doesn't fall both ways. If you do it on the public account. If you don't want to work there, by all means, do it. And then post screen caps of the fallout. I could use the laugh.

If it was done during work hours, then thats potential grounds for termination because of misconduct on the clock. Words are like guns, mkay.

But if it was done off the clock, then it doesn't matter. Take it to the police if you want to see their house swatted.