1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Minceed cauliflower makes for a better keto crust.

If you're going to go weird, may as well go full weird.

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ugh, you're one of those people. Caulifower is about as bad as Avocado Toast.

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

TOMD: Went to watch a play at the local theatre today. A German rendition of 1984, half faithful to the original, and half pulled into the current world and social media.

I liked it well enough, except for the moments they tried to bash you over the head with the moral of the whole thing.

4. sonder

sonder First Year

I know I'm not active on here a lot, but I just want to share this with someone. I also want to thank you guys. Your TOMDs have always made me forget about what's going on in my life for a little bit.

The past few weeks since my therapist told me they needed to transfer me to more intense care have been pretty rough. From being banned from working on stuff in my lab to finding out I'm teaching a class two weeks before the class is set to start, it's been hard and my mental health has suffered. Up until this morning, I struggled to remember a time I'd been happy. I saw a pencil pouch full of my favorite pens and I finally remembered a happy memory. I've carried that with me every day as a reminder that I need to do better, but I couldn't recall that memory at all. I didn't think my condition was that bad, but I can't remember a day this year where I felt like myself.

Good News: After about a month of waiting, I finally got the green light to meet a therapy consultant to pick a new therapist. It's a big day for me. I'm so scared because I'm still struggling to eat and sleep, but I hope I get better soon.

5. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Good luck, man. A thing I'd like to comment is you saying about "a reminder that I need to do better", which sounds like a shitload of pressure on yourself to be "fixed". I've done my own journey through this shitty time, and thinking of yourself as "broken" just makes things harder. At least it did for me.

You don't have to be perfect. You don't even have to be good. Each day happens, and each one you get through is another one closer to feeling more like yourself again.

I really hope your pick for a new therapist goes well. You got this.

6. sonder

sonder First Year

Thank you. I think I needed to hear that. I'm not sure how that's going to manifest in my life, but I think, for the first time since I started therapy, I'm excited about what that might look like. Cheers to finding a good match. I hope your journey goes well.

7. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

TOMD: Decided to take a creative writing class this semester. Turns out that for someone who reads as much as I do, I really suck at writing. To be fair I haven't done any non-academic writing for... ten years? And what I did back then was probably terrible since I was 11.

Currently debating scrambling to try and find an alternate class to take since I'm supposed to cram out 2.5k words of a short story in three weeks and I'm quite sure there's no way I can have anything to share that wouldn't make me die of shame in that amount of time.

Leaning towards sticking it out because even if I'm terrible I'm guaranteed to be significantly less terrible by the end and I could take the class Pass/No Pass so it would really just be my pride on the line.

8. momo

momo Seventh Year

High Score:
    Post it on WbA. I'm sure at least one of the absolute legends on this site would be willing to help you out.

9. Microwave

Microwave Slug Club Member

Reported for self plagiarism.

10. momo

momo Seventh Year

High Score:
    Not gonna lie, that would be pretty funny.

But in all seriousness @Nazgus don't worry about that because WbA is not public. So unless someone here is your professor, you should be fine.

11. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

This actually happened to my sister and her friend. Her friend owned a company(small) on the side and they used part of the company IP, logos and something else iirc, when writing a uni essay using the company to exemplify whatever it is they were writing about. They got stamped for plagiarism and had to face the uni board for it. Ended up getting off laaaaaate into that process.

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Funny story: Speaking as someone who has done a few writing classes (mostly journalism, but also creative writing) and once vomited ten pages of screenplay and what I think was roughly 1500 words of treatment out in a day and a half and got commended for my effort and careful worldbuilding, you can definitely get this done!
    At least where I’m from, most of the professors doing these kinds of classes know their stuff, but aren’t really inclined to deal with actually letting someone fail a class, especially when there’s no grade on the line.

13. sonder

sonder First Year

Having done NaNoWriMo for a couple years (and been really bad at it), it is going to hurt a lot less if you just hunker down and write regardless of how good or bad it is. YNaNo has a good workbook for you to get started, if you want some structure. I think you've got the potential to write some very interesting fiction so I hope you don't give up!

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    @Nazgus

Do it. Doitdoitdoitdoitdoit. Do eeet.

[​IMG]

15. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

Tbh I'd take fighting the plagiarism charge on if it meant the professor had to sit there explain how they found it first...

Not sure I'll be posting this first one to WbA, it's not for a grade so I'd somehow rather the first draft go through the class critique before showing it here. Will never see any of those people again after June, but I'll probably still be on this forum for a long time to come. Will probably take advantage of it for the final submission though, too good a resource to pass up on now that you've pointed it out. Thanks @momo!

@Nevermind: Not sure I'll be doing this one P/NP. Other option is to do both of my CS classes P/NP, so it's a matter of how much I want to study for those. Odds are, whichever I decide to P/NP will be the one I end up getting an A in. It's how these things tend to go if we're being honest...

@sonder: Will take a look, but isn't NaNoWriMo 50k over a month? Feels like anything geared for that will be overkill for my situation.

@ScottPress: Not gonna lie, that picture helped tip me over the edge.

Looks like I'll be sticking with the class then, thanks for encouragement all!

16. sonder

sonder First Year

That is true that it is 50k over a month. The book I’ve linked is for the YA challenge (10-50k and your choice when to stop). Their workbook has a simple plot outline (exposition, rise, climax, fall, denouement) worksheet and a guide to types of conflict so I figured that would be helpful. There’s also more complex stuff like world building and character development worksheets.

17. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

I did this past semester and could never quite fix my problem of “I only really write fanfiction and then change the names and places.”

It was still an awesome experience and I highly recommend that you stick it out even if you think you suck. Guarantee at least five others in your class feel worse than you.

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    TOMD: I did the political compass test. Wtf, I've become a slightly left-leaning libertarian?

19. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Did the test involve an actual compass? The needle was just dragged off course by your magnetic personality.

20. ScottPress

High Score:
    I think if magnetic manipulation occured, the needle was repulsed rather than drawn to me.