1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Carousel Bar on Royal St.
    Beignets at Cafe du Monde. Go early morning.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

Crazy to think that it's already been a year since my dad died, and still not a day has passed without thinking about it. So much has changed, yet so much has stayed the same.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Was looking for new employment. Got a taste of teaching and liked it, so I sent some applications to private language schools (no bachelor's yet, so no credentials to work in public education). Got a call last week. Interview Friday went well, second interview today went well, just got a call with the decision. Have new job. I legit want to go into teaching, so this is very good news. Planning to go back to university this fall.

4. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    One of our clients has in-house abbreviation AUT.

I just had a conversation where I kept referring to them as "Autism". I didn't realize what I was doing till my coworker gave me wtf face.

Always knew my internal abbreviation games would come back and haunt me

5. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

TOMD: Visited Auschwitz and Birkenau over the weekend. I didn't learn anything new, but damn. Being there in person gives a very different perspective to it all.

On far less depressing news, I had horse tartare and it was delicious. I'm not sure my little sister will forgive me anytime soon, but I consider it well worth the price.

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    Having been to Dachau and Theresienstadt during my formative years, I completely agree. Especially to the current generation, whose remaining links and access to the communicative memory still available from this time are rapidly dwindling, visiting these places makes the abject inhumanity of it all seem a bit more real. It elevates the knowledge from the intellectual to the at least somewhat personal, having stood in the courtyards and baracks that to this day bear silent witness to the murder of millions.

7. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Yeah. It's hard to grasp just how the entire camps were designed to kill them off in a variety of ways just from reading about it. When you stand where they stood and see how they lived, even now when it's well kept... It's something else. It's a level of cruelty that is hard to grasp.

One thing that kept standing out to me was how well designed it all was. I'm studying an engineering degree, so I'm imagining someone sitting down with that task and looking for all of the small ways that the design can be optimized...

... I'm honestly still processing, and probably will be for a while yet. Part of me wishes I'd taken pictures of some of the things, but I couldn't bring myself to do anything but just let it all sink in while I was there. It felt disrespectful to do anything else.

8. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Never been much of a picture person, I'm of the mind that if it's worth remembering it'll stick. Never sat down and looked at old pictures either. Perhaps accordingly, my visit to a camp remains vidid, the experience in person is incomparable.

On a cheerier note - finally caved and bought a switch. Doubled the fuck down and got the limited edition with Let's Go Eevee and Smash as well. I feel like I failed adulting 101 when this was done before my first real pay-check.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Haven't been to the camps, but I did visit the Holocaust museum in Washington D.C. while I was there. First and only time I've had to leave a place before I'd finished seeing everything. It just got to me on a visceral level.

10. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

I've been to the nuclear museum in Hiroshima and stood beneath the burst point myself. Experiences like that are pretty heavy.

11. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

So after hearing a friend rave about some curry he ate, I am now very much tempted to try and find a decent curry recipe. Because I've never had any kind of curry and am about 98% sure there's no restaurant in town that serves it.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What kind of frozen hellhole do you live in that doesn't have curry?

13. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

To be fair, there may be some restaurants that serve curry here. But I kind of doubt it.

For reference, there's exactly 1 Mexican restaurant here.
    No Taco Bell, Wendy's, Arby's, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Red Lobster, Chipotle, Swiss Chalet, etc.

We have McDonald's and Subway. And Pizza Hut, Dominos and Boston Pizza. As well as a few stand alone restaurants. There's one food truck during summer that does butter chicken, but afaik doesn't do curry.

Frozen Hellhole is an apt description.

14. deyas

deyas Seventh Year

Could've been worse. Could've been talking to the client themselves. :colbert:

15. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

TOMD: watched a man stand on a baby. It was hilarious.

Annoying co-worker brought her crotchgoblin in, then after using it to milk out attention from other women basically ignored it - actually put it on the floor while having a natter. Guy came around the blind corner the human caltrop had been laid behind, and squish.

The baby was fine but the mother's shriek was a thing of beauty.

16. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    Yeh...

One time I was talking to a client about optimizing how to check if an insured was also a medicare benificiary.

One way to do that would in theory be to go ahead and filter out people who by age obviously do not qualify.

Which led to me stating, "unfortunately, kidney transplant candidates means we can't just eliminate the children."

They got what i was trying to say but I was mortified.

17. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

That's a very unfortunate way of putting that, yes. Or, in memes of old...

[​IMG]

18. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Visited another uni with Sprog today. Perhaps we got a bad batch of admissions counselors/guides but neither of us came away impressed. Scratch another from the list. Two more on this trip this week.

19. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does he have his top picks, or are you just window shopping? Also, welcome to the North East, at least you missed the snow last week.

20. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    He has a couple in the running and a good number he won't consider applying to because of bad vibes for one reason or another. We're hitting a handful more schools and then I figure that's plenty. He should be able to make a decision then. (I won't bother with naming schools here though would be happy to share in a private conversation.)

The main thing at this point is to figure out which early decision school to play the game theory of betting on. After that, it's a lottery: buy enough tickets (and rock a 35+ ACT) and he should hopefully get in somewhere.

He has a guaranteed spot in the U.C. (provided he writes one of his entrance exams with their comically useless essay requirement) so there's a decent backstop if all goes south.