1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
    Derp. I did the same as oment. Mixed it up with direct/indirect.

2. Rehio

Rehio Heir DLP Supporter

Some other nurse seems to have it out for my preceptor, and has reported to management that my preceptor and I have an awful relationship and that I'm very combative and arrogant.

As someone who generally feels like I never know if I'm doing anything correctly as a baseline, this came as a surprise. Hell, on my first week report is the comment to "Be more confident! :)"

My preceptor has now been pulled, I don't know what's happening with my training, and I now trust no one.

That whole "nurses eat their young" thing is real, man. I did not expect to get thrown into office politics on my second week of training. Time to just keep my head down, get through training, and figure things out from there, I guess?

3. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or kill the next one to challenge you and parade their dead body around.

4. Innomine

Innomine Death Eater Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think they sign something about doing no harm. Otherwise, great plan! :p

5. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

Pretty sure that just applies to patients.

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    TOMD: Just sent off an application for a PhD position close to my (original) hometown. I don‘t think I have much of a chance of success as I didn‘t technically do the right MA programme for it (even though I dealt with the required topic quite heavily), but it was useful practice. I have my eye on another position, but that‘s only due in a month, so I have some more time to go over everything.

7. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

TOMD: Went to hang out with my friend from college (and catch/raid Pokemon). On the way to meet with her I passed a cemetery where a cat was wandering around. Cat and I exchanged greetings and it came up to the fence, laid down and rolled over for belly rubs. I was not murdered in the process of delivering said belly rubs.
    [​IMG]

8. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    Two old women jammed up airport security line for twenty minutes or so right before me. Tbf not really their fsult, surprised that security utterly baffled how to sort through two elderly women in wheel chairs. Then the scanner machine had to be recalibrated. Then the old guy who kept trying to cut in line because he had "low sugar levels" shook himself for thirty seconds before being whisked to the front of the line, helped through, then waltzing fit as a fiddle by himself to the drugstore.

This evening is an evening that exists. On the plus side, had a good week in Texas.

9. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

TOMD: I was offered a pay rise. Naturally I refused.

I'm not a 'Murican wage slave, so I'm not shy about discussing the numbers. Around £90 a month which is measly, but significant when you consider how small my pay was to begin with. I argued that down to a £60 a month increase and an extra 5 days of holiday allowance. Big win.

Drinks on me tonight boys.

10. sonder

sonder Second Year

I just finished writing up the "narrative" history document on the group I worked with for three years and it's bittersweet to say good bye. They were fantastic people who really changed the way our administration viewed things, but they also had Shakespearean-tragedy-sized flaws and I think I may be traumatized from having worked with them.

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Went to a rap concert with two friends today. Didn't particularly like (or know) the music but I haven't partied with them for quite a while so I was hype regardless. Drank a few beers and shots, was partying hard while the rapper is going on about destroying pussy, turn to my right, get greeted by two students.

An hour later they leave and walk past me, wishing me a good evening, and I tell them to be well prepared for tomorrows lesson.

I am not quite sure what to think about that encounter.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Getting ready to celebrate Purim has been a bit more work this year than I expected. On the plus side, I finished a floating shelf for my bedroom and the first of several epoxy pours for various woodworking projects I have floating around.

Not sure if there's anything I hate more than epoxy pours.

13. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Update: Well, the news spread quickly in the class. When I came up the stairs today they welcomed me with a short rendition of one of the lyrics which roughly translates to "please put it in only halfway because it hurts so much". I think ultimately I am very glad that my time teaching them ends on Friday and that I'm only an intern, not a fully-fledged teacher.

While it was all fun and games during the lesson, I feel like it did change the dynamic between us in a strange way, a way I am not fully comfortable with. I also think that stuff like this could easily lead to problems in terms of working with parents, other colleagues, and students in general, because I have no doubt whatsoever that this information would spread if I was a long-term teacher at that school.

I'll chalk it up as a learning experience in regards to building my teacher personality, which means no German gangster rap gigs in the future - at least not in cities where people might recognize me.

14. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    Like you say valuable life lesson.

It's not necessarily intuitive but choosing a professional career also comes with a choosing a lifestyle. It matters more in some careers than others, but there's a reason a good law school will teach you things like how to properly wear a suit, or why social calendars matter so much. Why insurance underwriters learn a serviceable golf game, etc...

Best to get the awkward fumbles out of the way. It'll be nothing but a good laugh soon enough. Good luck going forward!

15. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

This reminds me of a small discussion I had with one of my former math teachers, who couldn't fathom why a colleague of his (and another former teacher of mine) lived so close to where he worked. (<2km to school.)

The irony was that we talked about this in his hometown that my parents and I had moved to (ish) after I graduated secondary school.

TOMD: Voted.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  16. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

TOMD: Had a pretty crappy day where everything went wrong, so I sat down to watch CinemaWins videos and I love this channel. Highly recommend it for anyone who has a bad day. Just great to sit down and have someone gush over your favorite movies.

17. sonder

sonder Second Year

Which are your favorites so I can get started?

18. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Kung Fu Panda (and its sequel), along with Megamind. Also Lord of the Rings (these are split into two parts, so: FotR p1, p2, TT p1, p2, RotK p1, p2). Also Black Panther. Also Baby Driver.

... I'm gonna stop now but you get the idea. It's honestly more about going to the channel and finding movies you're in the mood to gush about.

19. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
    TOMD: Interviewed for a position with one of the private schools in my area for a high school history teacher position.

99% of me is excited and hopes that I get the job. 1% is "What have I done?"

20. Microwave

Microwave Seventh Year

I'm imagining Arthellion printing out a screenshot of one of Invictus' DLP posts onto a worksheet as a secondary source.