1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'd say this is the case for academic meritocrats at any elite tier of school, particularly for technical majors [and especially so at a place like Berkeley which belongs, for instance, in the rarified ranks of only a few universities that have built and launched their own satellites into space]. Course, just because you're kept busy doesn't mean you're kept productive...

There's a whole thread in this topic I feel...

@Arthellion Yea give me a moment to organise one.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm basing it in part on Nazgus's experiences, but also those of my other half. He's studying at Brown, and during term time never has less than 60 hours of work a week, often more. Sustaining that for an entire semester is an extended period to my mind. I've done my share of 60 and 70 hour weeks at work. But they tend to be stand alone weeks, occasionally two in a row. Never more than that, because down that road lies burnout.

3. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Tempting burnout is the name of the game here. We're extremely puritanical about our work ethics; the appearance of more hours = greater deservingness runs deep. Most of our highly paid, prestige professions (banking, law, medicine) are 60+ hour minimums. And, it starts early with helicopter parenting and overscheduling student hours for school, competitive sports, tutoring, charity clubs, research opportunities and internships [if you can access them in the middle/high school years].

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Dark Lord

High Score:
    Holy shit yeah. Props to you man. That's not the experience of the majority of students at my university or people I know.

The cellular molecular people are kept fairly busy, but that's only for their first 2-3 3000 levels courses to weed out those unfit for med school

@Solfege Shall we start one?

5. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

Damn yeah, that's a bit higher than we have. I'd say we're at a steady 40-50 if you're aiming for a B+ average (making you slightly above average, my school generally curves to a B or B-). My previous semester had me at 65 hour weeks, but that was the most intense one I've had so far. It was recognized as being a rough semester, but it was definitely not far outside the norm. I've definitely known/heard of people who've done worse.

I think the easiest way to get across the general attitude is two anecdotes. First that I've suggested "If you're not crying you're not trying" as an unofficial motto to some friends and no one's disagreed. Second that a friend who worked at a call center was instructed to never mention their time at Berkeley if talking to engineering/med students. Instead focus on everything they've achieved with their education/diploma. Much more likely to get alumni donations through that apparently.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, to be fair the 60+ hours a week are getting him an A average so if he did closer to 50 maybe he'd be sitting in that sort of average area as well.

Its all truly bizarre from my point of view, having rarely put in more than 12 or so hours a week when I was at uni.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

8. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Auror DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

TOMD: went to an end of rotation drinks and karaoke. Had a great time. Destroyed the lady gaga portion of Shallow, no question.

During the drinks part, with a lot of eminent oxford trained future plastic surgeons, ophthalmogists, neurosurgeons, we get to talking about shameful secrets. One person says 'I've been reading Harry Potter fanfiction for about fifteen years'.

When the heat wears off, I sidled up to him and said, with my shiftiest gaze 'yo fam I've got a site for you'.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  9. BTT

BTT Headmaster

Yeah. I am honestly not that mad about the fact that I failed one course and don't have the "normal" course structure now. Lot less stress to it, IMO. (Downside: exam scheduling is always fucked.)

Sure, I'm graduating later than the guys who started at the same time, but considering the current state of the world we're all going to be working until we keel over anyway so there's no point in starting that process sooner.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Wat.

How long have you been sending people to SpaceBattles? You fucking monster.

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

TOMD: The students that got their A levels did a fantastic show to commemorate their leaving school. Two hours of pure fun - musical entertainment and showmanship.

The story: a dragon (played by the headmaster in a crocodile costume) has kidnapped the promising princess of a country when she was at the tender age of six, then put her into a cage. Since then, for twelve years, he has given her more and more assingments, always piling on the work - biology, chemistry, math, language, art: there is no end in sight.

Then, one day, two kings of neighboring countries decide to free the princess - and both have amassed a following consisting of teachers they like, who have to face off in 1vs1 battles on their field of expertise (though always with a funny twist). Ultimately, after a hard-fought battle and many dance shows (the boys in hotpants and shirts cut off at mid-riff), the princess is freed and becomes the ruler of her country.

However, since it is the dragon's knowledge that enables her to rule successfully, she eventually forgives the dragon and knights him, asking if he'd like to be her minister of education. Which, of course, the dragon accepts gracefully.

I can't remember the last time I had that much fun watching a show. The students really outdid themselves on that one. What a blast!

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was driving up I-95 today and saw on the overhead electronic traffic signs the following:

"Not buckled?! You're killing me, Smalls!!"

"No seatbelt?! I have a bad feeling about this..."

"There is only seatbelt safety and those too weak to seek it."

And then, in the span of about 4 miles:

"A few seatbelts to secure them all,"

"A few seatbelts to guard them,"

"Take a minute to strap in your kids,"

"And from crashes you will ward them."

I just about fucking died. Hope no one got fired.

13. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Tomd: Got up at 5:30. Set an experiment at 6:30. Looks like the morning run’s gonna happen in the evening today. :/

14. Nexis

Nexis First Year

High Score:
    Managed to write 2k words today, I'm feeling proud of myself. I'm struggling with some mental health issues, but I noticed that writing or doing something creative in general helps a lot. And I don't feel like I'm wasting my time, which is also great.

15. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    TOMD: Just settling in for a nice evening of baseball, and 20 minutes later, the Yankees trail the not-so-woeful-after-all Orioles 3-0 in the bottom of the first.

Everyone is injured and, to quote everyone’s favourite Captain of Brooklyn’s 99th precinct, everything is garbage.

16. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

thing of my day is finding out that there were serious complications in the birth of my brother's daughter and she's fighting for her life

fuck everything in the world right now

17. Nazgus

Nazgus Minister of Magic

Fuck that's rough. I hope things turn out okay... Here if you need to talk/vent with someone outside of it all.

18. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Damn, @Andrela. Hope things turn out all right.

Tomd: Got an article published in a national newspaper for the first time. Fuck me.

19. Garden

Garden Minister of Magic

Thing of my month:

Got a 1st author research paper published in a very good journal for the medical specialty I'm potentially interested in + score on practice exam for the most important med school exam (Step 1) was quite good with 2 months to go. And I hit a minor milestone while bulking, so I made some muscle gains in addition to career gains.

Months of 1-2 hours a day of flashcards/studying seems like it'll pay off if I do well on this big exam.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: Day 5 of the Great Man Flu Epidemic

I can feel my life slowly slipping away from me. Food has lost its taste. TV has lost its lustre. Friends have been warned away on threat of contagion. The End is Nigh.