1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I spent 4 hours woodworking and 4 hours cleaning my garage today. Spring is here. I also decided to get over Tuesday's election results by spending 2k on a few high end tools, and another 200 on some absolutely stunning slabs of walnut which I'm going to turn into a table 6 months from now when they reach 8% moisture content after drying in my basement.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's interesting. How is moisture content determined, and why does it matter?

3. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Moisture changes cause wonkiness with the wood (for example, wood that's too moist will shrink as it evaporates, and that can cause a joint that was made perfectly to come apart, or wood that's too dry will expand as moisture seeps in, potentially breaking that same joint), not to mention high moisture content promotes mold growth/rot. So you want the wood to have roughly equivalent moisture levels to the environment it will be used in to prevent any of that (wood moisture content changes over time until it settles into equilibrium with its surroundings).

As for how to determine it, they have meters for that. You stick a tack into the wood and the attached gizmo will give you a percentage moisture content for the wood. I'm sure there's more manual methods of checking moisture content too, but I've got no idea what those are.

4. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Chicago?

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

So the slabs I'm buying are green (i.e., freshly milled from a log.) This means that it's pretty likely they have a moisture content somewhere between 20 and 30, possibly a little higher. I'll know when I get there and check with my moisture meter (best invention ever.) The reason why it matters is that, as the wood dries it will contract. This causes all sorts of frustrating things (cupping, bowing, twisting, and checking are all pretty common.) @Agayek gave a good explanation of all that in his post.

What this means is that, after my slabs have dried, I am going to have to use a router sled and a surfacing bit to plane them so that they have flat surfaces. Here's a quick 5 minute video showing the process from start to finish. To say that it is tedious is an understatement of epic proportions. In my case, I'll probably be removing up to 3/4th of an inch of material in passes 1/16 of an inch deep from two 8 foot long slabs. Passes 0.15875cm deep to remove up to 1.905cm of material from two slabs roughly 2.45 meters long (give or take .1 meters) for you metric kids. This will generate an insane amount of shavings/dust, and will likely take the better part of a day to do without fucking up horribly.

I have no idea why you'd ever try a different method when the digital moisture meters give you an insane readout and require no math the way weighing and drying a sample piece before weighing it again does.

Wisconsin. I'm still celebrating Chicago, the machine won!

6. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's awesome. Thanks, Gio and Agayek.

7. silentclock

silentclock Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

@Giovanni any good primers out there for someone interested in woodworking but with absolutely no experience?

8. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Watch New Yankee Workshop and The Woodwrights Shop on PBS. Great shows and informative.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Received a letter from the companies pension department today, asking if I'd be willing to become a trustee of the scheme to represent the membership (a generic letter sent out to lots of employees, not me specifically).

In a splendid example of joined up thinking, I'm probably being made redundant at the end of the month.

10. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    A bit of an emotional TOMD: Two of my greatest sporting heroes retired within three hours of each other today. There’s Dirk Nowitzki, of course, but also Petter Solberg, whose career I have followed since I could read the results column for WRC rallies in my favourite motorsports magazine with any degree of accuracy. He drove a cool car (Subaru Impreza) and spoke with a funny (Norwegian) accent, and thus it was decided that I would pledge my support to him and not the stupid Frenchman in the stupid French car (Sebastien Loeb in a Citroën). I had the great pleasure to meet Petter a couple of times at racing events over the last couple of years, and I have the photos to prove it for the rest of my living days. He’s a fantastic guy, and I hope he has a ton of fun with the few events he will do outside of full-time competition.

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

New information about my latest night out have come to light.

Things I can only spottily remember, but that's no surprise with the amount I drank. #1 I nearly got into beef with a bouncer, because I almost accidentally ran him over and spilled my beer on him; #2 I threw 50 cents at the feet of a friend and told her I want to see her naked; #3 buddy sent a girl over to me (he was chatting up her friend): I see the girl, say "You've got no beard - hey, you aren't [name of friend]!" and then turn back to my drink, ignoring her.

I have no idea how I made it home. All I know is that the day afterwards was fucking horrible.

The lesson? A good friend giveth, and a good friend taketh. He giveth opportunity with women, but since he's a dick, he also taketh all your ability beforehand, making sure your tank is so full that you can barely walk.

We had some good laughs about that today, though.

12. Zombie

High Score:
    Moderation friend. Don't pregame yourself into the finals before the finals actually happen.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Dark Lord

High Score:
    TOMD: Spring break week.

This has been a great week. Chilling at a really nice airbnb. Fiance comes home after class and we just enjoy dinner/evenings/nights together. During the day can work on homework and chill with skyrim. I've needed this break.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: My best friend from college is coming to visit with his husband this weekend. Naturally, my house is a bit (a lot) of a mess. Time to clean!

Matthew Cremona on Youtube has a lot of good instructional videos, as do the resources Zombie mentioned. Paul Sellers is, frankly, better on technique on his Youtube channel than just about anyone I've seen. That's mostly how I've learned. Lots of surfing around Youtube, lots of trying/failing and then trying again.

15. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

TOM last few years: (unfortunately) moved to Greece for reasons
    TOMD: Was involved in a road rage incident that went mainly like this:

Me (on foot) to moron driver: Excuse me, you are going the wrong way on an one-way street
    Moron: Yeah, I know, that's why I'm not speeding
    Me: Well, it's still illegal
    Moron's wife: There are all sorts of illegal things that are happening in this country, and this is what bothers you?
    Me: Well yeah, because you might kill someone
    Moron's wife: It's people like you who brought the country to this state!

At this point my husband pulled me away from the confrontation and we watched the car go on to turn left on another one-way street. The wrong way of course. I can only hope their high-school age kid on the back seat will not turn out like the parents.

I can't wait to leave this country behind.

16. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Death Eater DLP Supporter

Been to 42 countries, Greece is definitely bottom three.

17. Zombie

High Score:
    Its already too late you should throw them off the highest peak in the country.

18. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:

That story reminds me of that really old Mock the Week joke which I think aired around (one of the) height(s) of the debt crisis.

“This is a traditional Greek restaurant. So don’t worry if you can’t pay, the German government will cover it!”

19. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Ha, we were at an event a couple of years back with people from several other countries. When it was time to pay our share we pointed to the Germans who were coincidentally next to us (they were in on it) :)

20. TieHat

TieHat Groundskeeper

High Score:
    TOMD: Was browsing the r/HPfanfiction subreddit looking to see if there were any decent recs I haven't read yet when I saw someone complaining that the subreddit has standards that are too high for fanfiction communities.

WTF?