1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

Also, apparently my dad is trying to find a Corgi puppy. This is awkward for me, because he's looking on Kijiji in a different province (since, y'know, no corgi breeders where we live apparently.)

I'm vaguely worried he's going to get scammed, but also not sure I should really interfere with how he spends his money...

2. Agent One

Agent One Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Came back here after over a year of absence. Was actually searching "DLP" for "Digital Light Projector" and not "Dark Lord Potter" but I figured I'd see What's New.

Also started studying for a CCNA. First time in half a decade I'm actually learning something new. My head's already hurting.

3. theronin

theronin Order Member

If you're still looking for a workaround, see here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19829476

4. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

They've actually already fixed it, you just need to turn on studies if you turned it off at some point (it's supposed to be an analytics/testing thing, but they're using it to deliver a hotfix for the cert issue). If you turn on studies and wait a bit (they said up to 6 hours, but it took me all of about 10 minutes), the hotfix will install and all your addons will be back on and good to go.

Edit: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/
    Link to Mozilla's blog post about it.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

A local pizza place does a really great spicy mango & scotch bonnet chutney which my friend adores. As a birthday treat for him I managed to convince them to make a pizza using that instead of tomato sauce on the base.

Mouthgasm.

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    TOMWeekend: On Friday I took on the arduous 6 1/2h*, 500km journey and had a nice weekend at my parents’ house, where I elected to spend some time with them as my father left for a job this morning that’ll take him at least a month to complete.

TOMD: And because we had nothing better to do on a Sunday evening, my mother and I watched Downfall on arte. It’s one of my intermittent favourites, but I hadn’t seen it in a couple of years, hence the “intermittent” status. After watching the whole thing (not the longer TV cut, weirdly), I must say that it’s worth a rewatch for Ulrich Matthes’ portrayal of Goebbels alone. I’ve always found him to be the most interesting character in the film (especially in his relationship with his wife), but the intensity Matthes brings to the role is simply unmatched across the film’s impressive ensemble cast, not even by the late, great Bruno Ganz.

*Normally it’s more like 5h, but traffic was a complete and utter bench this time around.

7. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

TOMD: I'm at the HP Studio Tour right now, and the ppl I'm with are having more fun with my over the top reactions than they are looking at the sets/prompts themselves. This is definitely one of the highlight of my time in Europe.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

TOMD: Finally, after years of trying to pretend everything is fine I made an appointment with a psychiatrist to start treating my depression.

9. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

TomTommorow: My dad's flying roughly 1500~km to pick up a Corgi puppy. He arrives at around 9:30 AM, and doesn't get on his return flight until 8~PM.

I hope he enjoys exploring the airport for 9~hours.

All this for a Corgi.

wtf I'm laughing so hard right now.

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Thing of my May: I have to reflect my teaching over the course of 25 pages, so that two lecturers who haven't been there for any of it can see whether I grew during my internship and pass me accordingly. I dislike writing reports.

11. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Ah, the bullshit(ting) part of teacher training.

12. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

Pupdate: Apparently it went fast enough that my father was able to swap to an earlier flight back. He spent an entire 45~ minutes in the airport before getting back on the plane with the new puppy.

I am dismayed, I have lost all the material I was gonna use to tease him about spending 9 hours there.

Upside: I'll get to meet a cute corgi puppy?

13. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    Secured myself a six-week paid internship with the option of a permanent position afterwards in a field I think I can grow to like quickly.

Very pleased with that.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Update on what I posted last time: I visited the psychiatrist today and talked about my problems and issues and she prescribed some medicine for me that I'm supposed to take for a month after which I'm going to go back to be checked again. Also it's more than likely that I'll be entering some long-term therapy.

Oh and I wanted to thank everyone for the support. Seeing so many thumbs up let me know that people care, thanks.

15. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Of course we care! Who else would leave us constantly blue balled with plot bunnies that will never be written?

Seriously though, happy to hear you're getting help. I've had a few friends get to a point where they needed it and it's helped the ones that have stuck with it tremendously.

Unrelated note, TOMD: Got my philosophy paper back, and I got a raw score of 80 but got knocked down 2 points for citation problems. I'm currently debating digging through everything to see if I can't dispute, because it's the difference between an A and an A+ once it transfers back because I haven't gotten one in college and it'd be nice to go out with at least one on my transcript, even if it wouldn't change my GPA at all.

Have a fuck ton of studying to do for the rest of my classes, but nice to have that one thing go well.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    @Andrela, I've been in therapy. It sucked, but it helped. Hope you get better.

17. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
    TOMD: Just turned in my last assignment for undergrad. Graduate tomorrow.

Currently in a state of "What the fuck do I do with my life now?"

18. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Congrats!

Do you have something lined up?

19. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:

I do actually. Got a job in Dallas with a company starting later this summer so getting married then moving out there. Also pulled some connections and there’s a seminary offering really good scholarships for a joint master’s degree. So in four years I’ll have my Master of Divinity and Master of Applied Linguistics. The career goal being a translator on Ancient Greek texts.

So. Many. Greek. Classes. Koine and Attic.

20. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Had a productive day. Got in the zone and stayed up all night writing. I expect most of it will probably be garbage in daylight, and the new subplot I created will look like utter madness, but still feels damn good to have a quantity of writing, regardless of the quality.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Total wordcount for my fic went from 30k words from a year's writing to 50k after a single power session. I'm somewhat nervous to see the reception, especially as the real answer I'm looking for isn't writing corrections, although those are always helpful, but to find out whether the best thing for the overall story is to keep or delete everything I've just done, or the ideas didn't work on paper as they did in my head.

Usually I give zero fucks about someone else's opinion of me, but that flips over hard when it comes to writing. Hah. Brains. Fuck 'em.