1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

TomD: There are no hot dog buns in this city. I visited both major grocery stores and neither had anything hot dog related. The other stores likewise had nothing.

I'm considering writing a complaint to the bakery managers.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §–

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    @Aekiel, I appreciate the advice, I just don't don't eat vegetables or fruit. It's like reverse vegetarianism. I'll give your idea a try without them.

3. Microwave

Microwave Seventh Year

If you're having any weird issues all the time it might just be because of a vitamin deficiency.

4. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Nah, I'm healthy as a horse, just lazy.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

This sounds a lot like an oldschool rpg and got a chuckle out of me. I assume it's connected to theology in some form? Anyway, good job on getting through your studies!

6. Innomine

Innomine Death Eater ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's what I used to think. Then I realised the shit I ate actually had a huge impact on my energy level.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mate, you're missing out on so, so much. Aside from the health benefits that a balanced diet gives, adding fruit & veg to your meals adds so much flavour that you otherwise wouldn't have. I grew up eating barely any veg (because my family couldn't cook it for shit, unfortunately) and I basically treated food as a way to sustain myself rather than something to enjoy. Nowadays I'll cook a meal and actually want to savour it because it tastes so good.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    @Aekiel

The flavor is the problem. I don't like the taste of fruit/vegetables. There are several specific exceptions, but for the most part, I find them disgusting.

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Haha! The classic joke is that I’m studying to be a master of being divine. You know...ascension to Godhood and all that...

But yeah it’s actually the primary master degree that people get from seminary. So heavily focused on proper teaching of scripture, church history, leadership classes etc.

I’m using all my electives though to concentrate in ancient Greek. They have a very strong program for it. It’s actuallt in partnership with Dallas International University. I’ll be getting the applied linguistics classes on translation there.

10. CareOtters

CareOtters Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Reading this post is like hearing someone brag that they have never read a book.

11. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

Cooking is great once you liberate yourself from the tyranny of recipes. Use recipes as a base guideline and don't sweat the details, just throw in whatever you like! More spices and flavours = yum. Get yourself a sous vide machine and never worry about burning shit again.

Vegetables are great, and super easy too! you just need to not overcook them into mush. Quick m way to make great tasting vegetables is to blanche them, which basically entails putting a ton of salt into a pot of water, boiling it, putting your veggies in for 2-5 minutes depending then dump them into an ice water bath after. If you're feeling like exerting effort, fry them up on the stove with some garlic and butter, you basically can't go wrong.

Heck, I'm making a mother's day meal for my mom: homemade lemon pesto with kale, tossed with broccoli and zucchini and snow snap peas and toasted pine nuts - super healthy and delicious! No garlic cuz she's allergic sadly. I'm super excited cuz it'll be healthy and delicious and wonderful.

If you want to stick to meat and potatoes though, at least start marinating your food ahead of time! For beef, a really easy and delicious marinade is to take 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, Dijon mustard and ketchup, one tablespoon of sesame oil and Worcestershire sauce, and then like a third of a cup of soy sauce, mix it together and then just let the meat rest for 6-24 hours. Lose the ketchup and Worcestershire and you have a delicious chicken marinade too.

There's so many amazing options out there for cooking! Exploring your own tastes and making your own meals is a wonderful skill to have, and it'll save you oodles of money on takeout and oodles of years of life on eating healthy.

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    DLP has some strong opinions about vegetables. TIL.

13. Innomine

High Score:
    Nah, strong opinions on stupidity. But that's always been the case eh?

Honestly, what gets me, is that if there hadn't been a certain catalyst which made me figure it out, I don't even want to know how long I'd have gone on stubbornly believing what you do.

I never had your problem with veggies though, I had a mother who was/is an amazing cook.

14. Agayek

Agayek Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

It's just personal taste. Not everyone likes vegetables, same as not everyone likes HarryxGinny fanfics or whatever.

For whatever it's worth, I'm not far off from Scott, honestly, though in my case, if it's not the taste (most vegetables, green beans and potatoes being the major exceptions) it's the texture. For example, I love the taste of bananas, but the mush it turns into in my mouth triggers my gag reflex something fierce, so when I eat one, I'm basically scarfing it down in chunks and barely, if at all, chewing, and it's just not a particularly pleasant experience, so I tend to avoid them.

Outside of pretty much all forms of potato and select styles of green beans, I generally have to force myself to include vegetables in my diet, and even then I don't do a particularly good job of it, because I simply don't like the stuff.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  15. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Boil them, mash them, stick 'em in a stew.

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Texture is huge for me. It doesn’t matter how great it tastes; if the texture is mushy or a specific crunch I’ll not keep it down

17. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: I am on a plane with Brandon Sanderson.

I am completely star struck.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Today was Mother's Day, which is about as shitty a day for me as Halloween is for Harry. Just lots and lots of painful childhood memories of my mom being dead. Her best friend, who filled in to a degree, died two years ago.

So I took my son shopping for Mother's Day gifts for my wife. Still an unbelievably shitty day, but at least my wife woke up from her afternoon nap to two dozen roses, a lot of chocolate, a bottle of good wine, and an adorable stuffed dragon that she's going to end up sharing with him.

19. Innomine

High Score:
    Yeah, that's completely reasonable.

But in general, when young people say that they never eat vegetables because they all taste bad, it's far more likely that they've never had them cooked well, than that they have texture issues like you and @Arthellion. I know people like that as well.

My point was that DLP is not generally strongly opinionated on vegetables, however, we do have a consistent history of strongly reacting to perceived stupidity/wrongness.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Oh god, this was the prompt for me to send a belated (NZ) message to my mother.

It's not that bad, though, I did have a long conversation with her the day before, and we'd just caught up prior.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed. My girlfriend came from a family that couldn't cook for shit (as did I until I spent some time living with my cousin) and she was under the impression that all veg tasted awful. I've now got a reasonable amount of veg in her diet simply by not boiling the fuck out of them and using them to enhance other flavours.

Protip: vegetables should complement the other food on the plate taste-wise and the majority of it should be crisp to the bite. Mushy veg is the single worst food in the world. If you've got a picky eater it works well to introduce veg into meals they already enjoy. Pasta is a great base for this, as are casserole and stew.

In other news, it was my birthday yesterday and I got a couple of new board games to play out of it. GF and I played Terraforming Mars on Saturday as an early birthday present (and it's awesome), and I got Coup Rebellion as well. Not a bad haul for being an old man now and I loved Coup to bits even though it brings out all the worst parts of my competitive streak.

Not open for further replies.