1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: I am on a plane with Brandon Sanderson.

I am completely star struck.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Today was Mother's Day, which is about as shitty a day for me as Halloween is for Harry. Just lots and lots of painful childhood memories of my mom being dead. Her best friend, who filled in to a degree, died two years ago.

So I took my son shopping for Mother's Day gifts for my wife. Still an unbelievably shitty day, but at least my wife woke up from her afternoon nap to two dozen roses, a lot of chocolate, a bottle of good wine, and an adorable stuffed dragon that she's going to end up sharing with him.

3. Innomine

Innomine Death Eater Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, that's completely reasonable.

But in general, when young people say that they never eat vegetables because they all taste bad, it's far more likely that they've never had them cooked well, than that they have texture issues like you and @Arthellion. I know people like that as well.

My point was that DLP is not generally strongly opinionated on vegetables, however, we do have a consistent history of strongly reacting to perceived stupidity/wrongness.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Oh god, this was the prompt for me to send a belated (NZ) message to my mother.

It's not that bad, though, I did have a long conversation with her the day before, and we'd just caught up prior.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed. My girlfriend came from a family that couldn't cook for shit (as did I until I spent some time living with my cousin) and she was under the impression that all veg tasted awful. I've now got a reasonable amount of veg in her diet simply by not boiling the fuck out of them and using them to enhance other flavours.

Protip: vegetables should complement the other food on the plate taste-wise and the majority of it should be crisp to the bite. Mushy veg is the single worst food in the world. If you've got a picky eater it works well to introduce veg into meals they already enjoy. Pasta is a great base for this, as are casserole and stew.

In other news, it was my birthday yesterday and I got a couple of new board games to play out of it. GF and I played Terraforming Mars on Saturday as an early birthday present (and it's awesome), and I got Coup Rebellion as well. Not a bad haul for being an old man now and I loved Coup to bits even though it brings out all the worst parts of my competitive streak.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
    TOMD: Got my final grades in. I have officially graduated with a 3.66 GPA.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I expected better of you.

7. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros.

Writing update: If this were Nanowrimo, I have succeeded. Wrote 50k in the past 26 days for Zero Requiem.

But the work is half done.

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

You were expecting a 6.66 GPA, weren't you?

9. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    My goulash would like a word with you.

Since it is the season, I can also recommend grilling some of the vegetables, bell peppers in particular. You can either stuff them or put them on the grill by themselves. Or if you want to have some meat with them, make some shashlik.

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never tried goulash before. I'll have to give it a go at some point.

I really like bell peppers stuffed with goats cheese. It's indulgent as fuck, but oh so good.

11. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
    upload_2019-5-13_11-22-7.jpeg

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    TOMD:

Remember that? I just got an email saying that “circumstances had changed” and they’d found someone for the permanent position, so no internship either.

Great.

13. Agent One

Agent One Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah, sorry to hear that dude. But since they already offered the position to you, are they even legally allowed to retract it?

14. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    No idea, tbh. I’ll talk it over with my parents in person later today, because my mother is reasonably well-versed in these things and see what can be done.

The way we talked about it last week was that I’d do the internship first, and if all parties liked what they saw we’d talk about a permanent full-time position. I didn’t sign anything, but I would argue that there was an oral agreement to do the paid internship.

I would also like to add that I haven’t replied to their email yet to keep my options open.

15. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

It's extremely bad form, so name and shame. Unfortunately, a corporation has no obligation to honor any agreement when you haven't even signed a contract. They can withdraw their offer at any given time for any reason. I'm very sorry this happened, it's an incredibly shitty thing and absolutely not your fault. You don't want to work somewhere where they do this sort of thing. It's really quite terrible behaviour.

16. sonder

sonder Third Year

Try Mendeley for citations. There's also a few others, but that's my personal favorite.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    A customer came to pick up a parcel that he'd had delivered to our office today. Unfortunately, either he or the company he'd ordered from made a mistake, because rather than being dropped off as a customer collect parcel, it was given to us as part of our mail, so we opened it. He wasn't thrilled to discover that all the staff knew about the butt plug and fluffy handcuffs he'd bought, and I suspect he won't be a repeat customer...

18. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Death Eater DLP Supporter

Did you ask him what was up his ass?

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Nope, just told him to be more careful picking his mailing options in future. Although to be fair to him, I did wonder whether it was the company, not him, as it's not the first time this has happened - the last time, I had to explain to a woman that yes, we had seen her double-ended dildo.

20. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Latest in my adventures with shared living: my housemate eats a packet of 20 bourbon biscuits almost every day. Seriously, at least 4 days a week.

I've got twenty packets of twenty for less than a fiver thanks to the wonders of Asda's own brand products. Some kind of prank is definitely in the works.

Potential ideas: build a jenga tower out of bourbon on the countertop and leave for him to find. Hide biscuits everywhere in his rooms, in all his coat pockets, inside his shoes, inside his motherfucking socks. Gather up a few people, hide inside a room, then pelt him from point blank range with all 400 biscuits.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has something to donate.