1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

Fuck me, that's terrible. Did you see it coming at least?

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

Yeah. Two months ago they gave me the option of working on the shop floor as a helper, or to get furloughed. Ended up finishing that project and we still hadn't gotten any more work in for me to do (I'm a designer/drafter).

3. Johnnyseattle

Well that's just total shit, sorry to hear. Happens up here with us from time to time when the federal budget shenanigans get heated, but it's almost never permanent. Hope you get picked up soon.

4. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

TomD: Raptors just won the NBA championship. Take that America.

(j/k I love you guys, most of the time)

5. Saez

Saez Groundskeeper

High Score:
    That last minute was intense though XD

Edit: Check this out

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  6. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Aaaand a spoiler in an unexpected place right there.

Moving to the UK has been all kinds of great, but all NBA games are now at like 2am and unwatchable. To the highlights I go!

7. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

I mean tbf it was all over the internet pretty much as soon as it happened. Sorry though, I should have spoilered that.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Tomd: Praise God for aspirin.

Picked up a restaurant job for the summer before the fiancé and I skip town. I’d forgotten how exhausting working food industry can be.

Academia made me soft.

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

phone crapped out. wouldn't send or receive calls, but everything else "worked." Phone was really old, so even if I could fix it (only thing I didn't try was a factory reset, and I did one of those a year ago), I decided to just get a new phone anyways. Kyocera Dureforce pro 2. Super sturdy, like my previous phone. Like, I had it for 5-6 years and there's not even a scratch on it, and the new phone is more of the same. Hopefully it lasts just as long.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §–

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    TOMD: Ordered a cooling pad for my laptop. First new hardware I bought since the tablet a year and a half ago, and the third new piece of hardware I've bought since becoming a properly independent adult, and the laptop deserves to chill, so I'm pretty pleased.

Unless of course the pad turns out to be shit, but I didn't have to break the bank for it or anything, so at worst it'll be an annoying chip in the budget this quarter.

Secondary TOMD: After a fiendishly hot week it looks like we'll have a thunderstorm today, and with it some badly needed cooldown.

11. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

TomD: "Ran" a 13k viking run today and haven't died yet.

Couldn't do any of the monkey bar type challenges due to a combination of too little upper body strength and too much general body weight, but completed all of the other ones and didn't slow down my mate too much (who managed all but 1 of all challenges like a total beast).

I'm not even feeling that broken yet, but that'll prolly come overnight. Also my nips are a bit bloody (due to friction with my shirt apparently. Who knew.)

Fun day!

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Spent last night drinking and cooking with an old college friend. As was tradition, we went through an entire bottle of scotch over the course of the evening. This may or may not have been wise, as it was a 1.75 liter bottle of Johnny Walker Red. We felt like scotch and sodas.

On the plus side, no hangover. On the minus side, I am still drunk and I have an important meeting that starts in 20 minutes.

13. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Headmaster

Hey, if it worked for Winston Churchil.

14. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Your title is once again earned.

15. Nevermind

Nevermind High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Scotch & soda is a good choice for that particular whisky. Personally, I really can’t stand drinking Red Label on its own. It’s decent enough for cocktails that need a Scotch component, but somehow I never found it appealing on its own merit. It is surprisingly good when you use 2oz. of RL, 3oz. of soda & 3oz. of ginger ale, though. A careful squeeze of lime is optional.

When I’m in the mood to have some whisky on its own, I’ve steadily moved away from the “classic” big name Scotch manufacturers towards some lesser known brands, also branching out into other types of whisky. I might have mentioned this before, but my current favourites are Koval’s millet whisky and Nikka’s From the Barrel, which is a beautiful Japanese blend and instantly shot to the top of my list the first time I sampled it. Both of them almost smell better than they taste as well.

16. Johnnyseattle

Hmm, haven't tried either of those, have to give them a look. I got a friend a pretty nice Highland Park for a housewarming, and had to get one for myself after we sampled it, but that's almost gone so I guess I know what's on my list next.

Johnnie Walker though... man, some bad memories of that stuff back in the Navy days. Yikes.

17. Nevermind

Nevermind High Inquisitor

High Score:
    TOMD: Had some birthday cake with my mom and dad this morning (her birthday, not mine), then traveled 300km for a job interview tomorrow. They sent me an email the day after I sent my application, so I’m hoping that might be a good sign.

As a sidenote, I am continually surprised (even though I really shouldn’t be) by how forked up the German Autobahn network is in places. Lots of road works and speed limits where the road is quite bad, and lots of terrible drivers – even though that’s not really anyone’s fault – make for a bad combination. I witnessed two near-misses today alone. Additionally, there were more cars on the road than usual today thanks to a local holiday on Thursday.

On the upside, I did enjoy a nice dinner at my hotel just now. Rump steak with sautéed mushrooms and herb bread was a splendid end to my day.

Still torn over whether I should take a good long look around Bremen after my interview is over tomorrow. I’ve never been there, and the alternative is heading straight back.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yes, for your suggestions of real scotches and Japanese single malts. I would never drink Johnny Walker Red straight, but if you make it fizzy it's absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe :)

Oh yeah, JW should not be consumed without ample soda water. Just like Sir Winston did.

19. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Yeah, sometimes it seems as if the the highway is always under construction and jammed solid with idiots. Around 45 million people drive cars here, and that in a space smaller than California. Especially around the big population hubs you've got to be alert. Then again, it still beats puttering around at barely 110 km/h on an endless road, as I experienced when I was in Canada. Given the size and speedlimit of the US I can't imagine it to be any different there.

But yeah, depending on where you're driving, a holiday is bound to make things interesting and (probably) will cause a traffic jam or two.

On a side note, I do think you should take a gander at Bremen if you're in the area. I'm not too familiar with the city, but there ought to be a lot of history surrounding it, given that it was a city of the Hanseatic League. (Is this how you express it in English?)

20. Microwave

Microwave Seventh Year

Major port, I guess.