1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Today was one of those days when shit just goes wrong. Not big shit. Neither a burning home, nor a dead relative. But enough small shit piling up to make you furious. Woke up early for a meeting with a lecturer, drove to university > office hours unexpectedly moved to another day; go to a friend’s home to feed her cat during her absence > cat, for the first time I’ve known her, moving away from being petted repeatedly as if she could sense my bad mood; while biking home a guy without brakes drives into my front tire, messing up my brakes, which are now constantly breaking on the front wheel > the 25 minutes home was pure torture with that resistance > try to repair my bike once home > haven’t got the necessary tools, ask friend for help, he says sure come by later.

Then I tried to kill time and play lol and find out my account has been hacked. I quickly change password and email and try to play again > can’t login and think the hacker has won > find out the lol server chose that time to crumble, which is why I can’t play. With nothing to do, I go on a rage-fueled 5k run, running too fast and have to stop prematurely because everything hurts and I’m out of breath and have to take a shit on top of it.

Back home: finally I can play, but that bastard has changed all my settings and keys which I only noticed during my first ranked game > I lose heavily, always fiddling with my options to get them back to their original place. I continue to lose afterwards just for the fun of it, almost get demoted.

When it’s time to leave for my friend’s, my flat mate talks to me in the kitchen. I forgot to replace the hot sauce I “borrowed” for some cooking a while back while he was away. He’s not amused. My apology is rather awkward. The whole thing isn’t good for my mood either way.

Go to my friends. We simultaneously fix the brakes and ruin them. I can bike again, but there’s no traction at all now on my front tire, which means I always have to break with my backtire brake. Luckily that one is a strong motherfucker and will last me.

Anyway, I went and bought beer, pizza and cigarettes. This day can go fuck itself. I’m eagerly waiting for the next one.

Sorry for the rant, I just had to vent.

2. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

Lost within a thousand worlds of written wit.
    High Score:
    1,864+2628
    Take it from a guy who used to ride for years at a time with shitty bike breaks(both front and back at varying times and varying bikes), don't rely on just your back to save you.

You may not be in a place right now that you can do anything about it, but if the front breaks are a complete write-off as it is, I would highly advise you to just replace your bike at the nearest opportunity so that you have proper control again. I've had far too many near-misses.

Also, sorry to hear your day has been a slow disaster.

3. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

The good girl is home now, whimpering away and on orders to limit activity for a couple weeks.

Every time she whimpers my heart hurts a bit.

4. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

TomD:

Blogging about my IT traineeship in the Beginning in Programming thread is over, as the traineeship itself is over. I start my new job as a Junior Java Developer on Monday!

I foresee myself posting a TomD in three days.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

TOMD Update: just got notified that my lol account was permanently banned for using 3rd party software, which I have never used in my life while playing. Seems the hacker had some fun scripting while I was asleep yesterday. Anyway, I fired off a support ticket, explaining the situation and requesting them to unban the account, which I hope they'll do. I've invested quite a bit of time and money in lol.

6. sonder

sonder Third Year

Hey, y'all.

Thanks for the support. I was looking at apartments and rooms today. No dice so far, but I saw one I really liked. I start work tomorrow and we will see how that goes. Thanks again. Sorry for disappearing all the time.

7. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll be honest. I literally never use my front brakes, and I don't think I ever have. What do you use them for that they're so important?

Tbh the only real use I have for brakes on my bike is making cool skid marks though.

8. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

Tomd:

Felt very grown up driving home from my actually-a-real-job in my first very own (lease) car.

9. Innomine

Innomine Death Eater ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Guess that’s what comes from living in a place with nothing resembling elevation.

At least, that’s how I view Florida.

10. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Living in a place that has basically nothing resembling elevation, I use my brakes rather often. Can't exactly let wind resistance/friction slow me down all the time in a city with probably high five-digit/low six-digit numbers of people on bikes daily... And probably <5 % of those wear a helmet.

11. Agayek

Agayek Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

Isn't that what the rear brakes are for?

12. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

Lost within a thousand worlds of written wit.
    High Score:
    1,864+2628
    Both brakes working well not only allows me to come to a proper hard stop if I have to, it allows for an easier gradual deceleration around hills. Maybe I'm just used to cheap bikes(~$150-200 at most) and you have a more expensive variety with greater stopping power in the back.

13. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm from NJ originally but yeah there's no elevation to speak of in Florida. Going down hill if you used the front brakes you'd probably flip your bike unless you used both brakes.

I suppose they've just never been necessary for me.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

TOMD: Slept until one in the afternoon for no reason, and woke up to a super low level person doing something mindblowingly stupid that was going to burn a bridge with a partner organization whose goodwill we rely upon. Thought about delegating it to someone else, but figured a quick email from the .org address with my name would clear things up, since if you've shit the bed badly enough for the top person at an organization to email you directly, a person with two functioning neurons would work on fixing it immediately. Also it was kind of dumb enough that I needed to deal with it personally so that I could say I'd dealt with it personally if anyone asked.

Several emails into the exchange, I realized that they held a low level position because you can't fix stupid but no one felt like getting rid of them. This resulted in the following exchange:

Seventeen minutes later, problem resolved. Next time, I'm just going to skip straight to that step.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    TOMD: Our DnD group (at level 6) just one shotted an undead titan. 60 Flasks of oil + fireball. We nuked it.

Edit: It gets better. Turns out titan was our warlock's patron.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gotta love when a session goes well. I'm in a Blades of the Dark campaign at the moment and my character is a Lurk (safecracker/lockpick type thief). He has consistently rolled very well when it comes to opening locks while the rest of the mission goes to shit.

17. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    TOMD: So...plans for texas move have been put on hold. Fiance was accepted into a grad assistantship for Deaf Education here in Georgia. So...we're staying here since they will pay for her Master's.

Been looking for another job...and was hired by my old University in the admissions department. Pay is solid and they stated they would pay for my Master's degree as well.

So, pretty happy honestly. I was excited for the Texas move, but this is alot better for us financially and sets us up better for success. Gonna be apartment hunting this month.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yo my cycling peeps, just an FYI but the front brake is your primary brake. If you go flying over your handlebars you're squeezing too hard, braking too suddenly, you're not moving your centre of gravity back, or all of the above.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

19. TieHat

TieHat Groundskeeper

High Score:
  20. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You should cross post to DLP D:

Also good luck.