1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 5: The Order of the Braggart

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by BTT, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've not changed it, but you're right...it looks like its zoomed in slightly. Damn, I don't think I've even still got the original picture to try reuploading it.

Edit: Just looked on my account, I think it might have been this way since the forums changed. The full picture is still there but avatar editor requires it to be slightly cropped to fit so thats why its looking smaller.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Watched 2019 Godzilla today on a whim. I don't know what happened since 2014 Godzilla, but whatever it was, I approve. They made a movie about giant monsters that actually showed giant monsters. Hail to the King.

If Godzilla vs Kong is more of the same, I may even see that one in a theater.

3. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Squib

TOMD: 7 chapters into Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, about 60 project Euler tasks and the obligatory youtube and udemy videos and I'm finally hitting that point of no return: Coding now feels like studying .
    It no longer has that exciting snazzy feeling or maybe it just got more difficult.

Which is exciting in a more boring way I suppose.

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

Automate the Boring is a good book. Automate your study habits then to make them more exciting.

5. 13thadaption

13thadaption Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Last night I drank a whole bottle of wine and watched the food channel. Then I did my laundry and went to bed early because I am just the most boring drunk.

6. Majube

Majube High Inquisitor

High Score:
    TOMD: Finally read The Name of the Wind, don't know why it took me so long to pick it up. I started reading this morning and finished a few hours ago. Still mulling it over in my head, the feeling of having read a good book that makes you really think. The prose was absolutely lovely, all the better in contrast to Skyward by Brandon Sanderson that I read the other day.

Man, if I could write a book half as great as that one day I'd feel satisfied for the rest of my life knowing I left a mark on people. Now, I just have to get my hands on a copy of The Wise Man's Fear. I'll head over to the library in a few days after I skim through the first again... Damn after that I'm going to have to wait for the third book along with the rest of the fans :(

7. Zombie

You poor child. You're gonna have to wait twice as long as I have for the third book. You started too late.

8. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

TOMD: A couple months ago a former professor contacted me to ask if I would turn a couple projects from grad school into case studies/chapters for a book. One of them was reasonably easy to get a draft together, but the other... the original (years ago now) was ~10,000 words, which got cut down to about 8,000 with some creative abuse of the University's table and figure caption guidelines. And that ~8,000 word format is what was turned into said professor 5 years ago, and what he asked to be adapted for a chapter.

Chapter word limit is 2800 words, and professional publishers don't play any of the bullshit formatting games that I got away with in Uni. I was able to drop to ~5000 words pretty easily by cutting a detailed survey down to a results summary for the first part, but going from 5000 to 2800 words has been a brutal game of cutting individual words, slightly rewording sentences, and trying to figure out the least consequential bits of actual content to cut or summarize. After solidly 40 hours of editing, I finally, finally have a draft of this fucker that meets the publisher's guidelines, and that I feel still has all of the important information from the original.

It feels weird, but I am way more proud of the editing job than either the original writeup or the actual experimental/treatment results.

9. Innomine

Innomine Minister of Magic ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's because the most important part of information you discover is actually being able to share it where appropriate. I firmly believe that at some point in history someone figured out the answer to life, the universe and everything, but just didn't or wasn't able to tell anyone/write it down.

Also, as my old supervisor used to say, 90% of the effect is in the last 10% of the work.

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Chief Warlock

TomWeekend: it was supposed to be a lovely two days of recharging my batteries now that I'm at the halfway point through my final thesis - visiting family, playing games with one group of friends, celebrating a friend's 30th birthday with another group, eating and lazing, reading and watching TV.

Instead I drank so much with both groups of friends that I was puking my guts out on Sunday morning. I ate more than I intended, I smoked like a chimney, and I'm sure I behaved in every way like a drunken clown at both events. I suppose I had fun. But I suspect I had a bit too much of it.

11. Otters

Otters Squib ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: My plans to write all weekend were interrupted by a thot, leaving me with 90 minutes of sleep, a raging hangover, and an empty google doc.

One large coffee and one small sob later, I've managed to force myself to start typing. I'm now 75% of the way to my goal. Salt-Breaker is now the longest consecutive piece of writing I have ever produced, and I'm just a day's labour away from hitting my first 100k.

Really this is a good thing. I'm suffering for my art, which legitimizes me as a writer.

Update: 90% of the way complete.
    Updoot: 99,077 words and I cannot bear to write another word. Break for existential dread and juice.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Prisoner DLP Supporter

TOMD

Finally cut the cord. I'm only paying comcast for internet now and SlingTV for all my tv needs. Price cut by like 2/3rds

13. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
    TOMD: Apparently some arsehole has made it their ambition in life to annoy me.

For context, in Germany the first couple of letters on the license plate designate the part of the country where your car was registered.

Shortly after my recent move, I inquired as to the possibility of getting a long-stay parking permit for the multi-storey car park next to my house. That same day, I paid 75€ (60€ monthly fee plus 15€ as a one-time registration fee), got my card with which I could get in and out of the car park and went on my merry way to bask in the relative safety now afforded to me by being able to park my car in a well-maintained, brand new car park.

In the car park itself, there are three categories of parking spaces. Regular, long-term and long-term with a license plate. I use the normal long-term ones. Both last week and today, I found a note under the wiper of my car asking me whether I was actually allowed to use the long-term parking space. I assume this is because my car has a “foreign“ license plate, because none of the cars with a “proper” license plate that were using the long-term parking spaces had a similar note. Given the total absence of any insignia on the paper, I assume the notes come from some bloke with too much free time who fancies himself a part-time traffic warden.

Last week, I was somewhat bemused but disregarded the whole thing. Today, I was mildly furious, particularly at the use of the word “repeatedly” in today’s note, which implies that someone has actually written my license plate down or remembered it and is now actively checking on the status and, by implication, the movements of my car.

I did write under today’s note that I am indeed entitled to the parking space I am using and that I am paying my monthly fee, so please could you now stop. I made the whole thing sound a bit more passive-aggressive, though, which in hindsight has me slightly worried that my tyres will be slashed by this time tomorrow.

I also wrote an e-mail to the municipality who are responsible for the car park.

On the bright side, in job-related news, I am now responsible for rebuilding my company’s social media presence. Since social media is actually part of what we do [EDIT: whoops, hit the post button by mistake] for our customers, I figure that if nothing else, this might look pretty good on my resume at some point in the future.

Oz
  14. Zombie

Could wait in your car until someone comes to check it and then hit them over the head with a tire iron.

Easy way to teach a lesson. Brain damage.

15. Otters

Otters Squib ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Tbh it sounds like they already have it.

16. BTT

BTT Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    TOMD: I'm like 90% sure my coworker has been cursed by some incredibly vengeful yet creative witch.

So, like I've said a bunch of times already (like in the opening post) I work as a lifeguard. It's not a great pool that I work at. Like, "police had to come by every day for a while" not great. But hell, that's probably why they pay me the big bucks to be there. Anyway, this year I've got a new coworker, who we'll call John. John is old, a widower, a retired post master, far too fond of the sound of his own voice, and too strict for his own good.

He's also a magnet for accidents.

Last year, there was a dude who fell from one of the pool's ladders and broke his skull or something. It was nasty, but that was completely it as far as accidents went. There were many, many minor things to help patch up but nothing remotely as serious. I haven't ever had to pull someone out of the pool, though I have sometimes forbidden people from coming back.

This year, a similar accident happened, except then that was the second day John was on the job. Shit got worse.

Since Sunday, I've worked all of 16 hours with John, and so far a kid's broken his foot by falling off another ladder, another kid got jumped on from ~7.5m high and probably has bits of spinal cord in his stomach now (note: not an actual medical diagnosis), five people have had to get pulled out of the diving pool because they jumped from 3m high without knowing how to swim or similar stupid shit, a dude dislocated his shoulder and we had to call an ambulance for him, a dude got stung on the tongue by a bee, the police have been by checking for drugs every day again, a kid told me his dad had chained him and his mom to a radiator and beat them so that was why he was living with his grandma now, and probably a bunch of shit I'm forgetting.

Seriously, this shit is wack. He does decent enough work as a lifeguard (even if he can't fucking shut up) but if this shit goes on we might as well start handing out waivers saying the management is not responsible for deaths by way of John.

17. Majube

Majube High Inquisitor

High Score:
    TOMD: Finished The Wise Man's Fear, took both less and more of my day than the first did. Definitely going to miss having the free time to pick up a book and not leave till its finished.

..I mean hopefully he'll have it out somewhere between 2020-2024. I can wait that long reading other books and rereading the series sometimes.

Regardless, I bet his book will come out before GRRM's does :nyan:

18. Zombie

I've re-read the books with the same thought in mind. After about 25 times it starts to lose its luster. I also said the same thing about the expected release, five years ago.

19. Innomine

Innomine Minister of Magic ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I’ve only read the books once. I thought the third was just around the corner and decided I would wait and reread them just before it came out.

I’m still waiting. One day I may get to reread those books.

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I quite about halfway through the second. First book was great...second book was like a bad indy harry fanfic.