1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 5: The Order of the Braggart

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by BTT, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

I am supposed to take rosuvastatin for about a month. It is probable that my body just produces a lot of cholesterol, though I am not prone to eating fatty things.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

3. Innomine

Innomine Minister of Magic ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That’s awesome.

However... something worth thinking about, is does he/she/they want to see you in order to do drugs, or does he/she/they want to do drugs in order to see you?

If it’s the latter, that’s awesome and you should maybe consider trying to hang out without the drugs. If you make a pattern out of associating the good feelings you get from being with your crush with drugs... it could damage your happiness and relationship.

If it’s the former... well that’s something worth thinking on as well.

4. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

This is good advice. That being said, we should all remember the great philosophy of "get high fuck bitches".

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I may have made a very small, slight, catastrophic mistake.

I haven't been able to play CK2 since I last reinstalled Windows on this computer so I decided in the interest of playing my favourite game that I should probably just bite the bullet and get it done tonight. It was a bit complicated, got a few errors and realised I'd completely forgotten how to set up a bootable USB drive, but once that was sorted everything went great. I formatted the drive, installed Windows. It was grand. Until I tried to boot up.

You see, I've got two hard drives. One's an SSD, which I use for Windows. The other is a terrabyte hard drive I use for everything else. The astute amongst you will already know where this is going. I tried to boot up from the SSD and got a bunch of error messages. Not good, but I could fix it. Only, there'd been two options to choose from when I booted up after the install. That had been weird, but meh.

First option didn't work. Straight to error, do not pass go, do not collect Windows 10. So I try the second option, just to see what happens.

It's my terrabyte hard drive. The one with all my stuff on it. Only it doesn't have all my stuff on it. It has an entirely blank drive except for a fresh, shiny new installation of Windows 10.

I fucked up, guys. I fucked up real good.

6. Palindrome

Palindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

7. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

I'm so sorry. So so sorry.
    Tell the FBI there is illegal stuff on it and maybe they can find it?

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd have to ship it to the U.S. for that. Not within my price range. I do live an hour away from GCHQ though...

9. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

Lost within a thousand worlds of written wit.
    High Score:
    1,864+2628
    That's agonizing Aekiel. I'm sorry for your collective data loss. I've done similar in the past. These days I keep at least two backups.

10. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

giphy (1).gif

11. Nazgus

Nazgus Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

@Aekiel: I'm not clear on the details since I've never had to do it myself, but I know there's ways to recover data from a reformatted HD. Might be you're not 100% out of luck, I'd look into it before doing anything else with that drive.

12. Microwave

Microwave Groundskeeper

Think it depends whether the entries were just deleted or the actual data itself was overwritten in the format.

13. Nazgus

Nazgus Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Default is to just delete the entries though, there's no point in overwriting the entire drive with a pass of zeros/random data unless you're out to make it unrecoverable. So unless the process he did does that for no gain, there should be vast swathes of data available for recovery.

14. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It is theoretically possible to recover some of the files on the drive you accidentally installed Windows on, but only if the formatter you used to wipe the drive pre-installation did not zero out everything (which if memory serves, is an option in the Windows 10 installer, but it defaults to unchecked). And even then, I've no real idea how to go about doing it, I just know that ways to do it exist.

15. Raiko

Raiko DA Member DLP Supporter

TOMD: I just went back to work from a week long vacation, and my boss told me I was getting a promotion to the next grade in my career and a raise.

I was planning on asking for almost the exact amount the raise was for next week during our annual review.

16. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

17. Agent

Agent Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I believe the default behaviour of Windows is to not actually "delete" data but rather "mark" that sector as acceptable to overwrite new data with.

As long as you haven't downloaded or installed many new things, those sectors should still all have the data on and be recoverable.

I'll second Oz on Recuva. It's simple to use, easy to understand interface and has great results. Accidentally deleted some proprietary dlb packages a couple months back and this prevented me from having a heart attack.

18. Teyrn

Teyrn High Inquisitor

Not sure what it was, but at some point today I got hit with the Halloween bug. I really want to decorate this year for some reason. Haven't really done much decorating the past few years.

19. Hαn Sαlsα

Hαn Sαlsα Hαn Sαlsæd First

I got on the city bus (ran to the stop, for some reason the bus always arrives at the stop a moment too early if I walk).

I get in. Sit down. After a while, this old guy starts cussing out a kid (probably my age tbh) going "You don't know how easy you have it" and said "stop fucking smirking"

He continues this before the driver says to him "sir you're getting off the next stop"

The old guy agrees, and the bus eventually comes to a stop

He yells "Out of my way" to the kid and shoves him aside

Then he starts strangling him.

Everybody was just watching him and then a kid jumped onto him from behind and started strangling him.

I got off the bus (I'm not confrontational, probably a bit of a pussy thing to do but I don't care I'm not getting strangled).

Guy takes off, and I decide to call the cops after I'm convinced he's not in my immediate area. The cops still haven't called back so hopefully the issue's resolved, probably with the old guy behind bars.

20. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...next time, call the cops at the time.