1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 5: The Order of the Braggart

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by BTT, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well it forewarns you what to expect regarding the pregnancy and the birth, and you can take steps to minimize the dangers to the mother and the child.

My son was coombs positive. We didn't know (apparently there was a test that we didn't get) but there's a shot for it that makes it not an issue. Since we did not know, he needed to sit in the incubator for a few more days of basking in the sun. It was heartbreaking to get to take him home for just a single day and then have to bring him back to the hospital and go the next week without being able to see him in the mornings before work. And the fear that we'd permanently damaged our son because we took him home too soon, or that we'd been negligent was nothing to scoff at either.

He is fine now, in case anyone wanted to know.

2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Order Member DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

So I went and looked up the answer as this will affect me , and I’ll share here for interest. At present, taking into account the finding of this gene and development of testing for it - sFLT1 - there’s no recommendation for pre-partum screening beyond a normal maternal history and family risk factors. Full answer is here, but it’s dense. The gene product in a ratio might be a really good test in the third trimester in resource poor areas.

Generally, beyond a few specific single-hit family lines, PET still should be considered apolygenomicaetiology (free-text on the implications on the FLT discovery, skip to bottom section for this point).

I think this comes down to the tiny difference between aetiology and pathogenesis, with this new gene being perhaps one of two or three most important factors in pathogenesis - the process underlying the symptoms and problems you actually feel.

@Wildfeather your answer is the best one though. Thanks for sharing. It’s really powerful. I’m glad your little boy’s doing well.

2017 paper in question:

McGinnis R, Steinthorsdottir V, Williams NO, et al.; FINNPEC Consortium; GOPEC Consortium. Variants in the fetal genome near FLT1 are associated with risk of preeclampsia.Nat Genet. 2017; 49:1255–1260. doi: 10.1038/ng.3895
    summary from ACOG 2019:

A 2017 genome-wide association study analysis of neonates from 4380 cases of preeclampsia and 310 238 controls found a genome-wide susceptibility locus (rs4769613; P=5.4×10−11) near the FLT1(FMS-like tyrosine kinase 1) gene, the protein product of which is a well-established pathogenetic factor in preeclampsia. rs4769613 has a higher frequency in late-onset preeclampsia, exerts effects only in the fetal—not maternal—genome, and has no difference in transmission of disease association with parental sex inheritance, making the effects of imprinting unlikely. However, maternal genetic susceptibility may play a role as well.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  3. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: Got my flu shot at work. Now my arm feels sore, but I'm ready for winter.

Get your vaccines, everyone!

4. Nazgus

Nazgus Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Fak meant to do that last Friday but totally forgot.

Thanks for the reminder, added it to my calendar now so it doesn't slip past again.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Vaccines cause autism.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

I should ban you for stupidity, even if you are joking.

7. Paladin

Paladin Fifth Year

High Score:
    I refrain from getting a flu vaccine because the times I have gotten one, I've always gotten sick, without fail. Years I don't, even if I don't do anything different, I don't.

8. DR

High Score:
    The flu vaccine is a dead vaccine, you can't catch the flu from it.

9. Microwave

Microwave Groundskeeper

Isn't it pretty normal to get some flu symptoms for a bit after getting the vaccine?

10. Rehio

Rehio First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're not really infected or sick, your body is just activating the immune response towards finding a virus. The cold-like symptoms only last for one or two days.

It's probably better to just deal with the day of feeling slightly under the weather than endangering yourself and others.

11. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: A few friends and I went out to a restaurant last night and tried the "Suicide Wings" Challenge.

Most of us were Asian (Brown) so we thought we could handle it. They bring out the wings and even from a few metres away, they were already burning our eyes. I bite into the first one and I realise straight away that I'm fucked. I know I can't have all 8 but I want to at least finish one. No chance, could barely finish half of it.

A couple of my friends did better. One managed to actually finish the second wing.

It took us 3 glasses of milk and two cups of Ice Cream each before our throats stopped feeling like we were being deepthroated by Satan himself.

We have a house share and we all woke up in the middle of the night with our stomachs feeling like they were being kickboxed. Luckily, we all have en-suite rooms so didn't have to worry about taking turns.

The others had the privilege of calling in sick for work today. Me? I'm sitting on the toilet with my laptop on a stool :) in front of me and still taking calls.

EDIT: @Zombie I was going to post in the food thread but do you have any advice on mitigating the aftereffects of spicy food?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 4:35 PM
  12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

You know, every time I write a post in this thread I feel like my life is getting worse instead of better.

But, I am actually getting better! It's just that this road is filled various turns.

Anyway, here's another "Andrela is Fucking Insane" situation.

I stopped overdosing my antidepressants and I've stopped taking codeine.

Instead, last weekend I went to a house party and did Amphetamine with a friend. We started at like 10 pm and ended at 4 pm the next day. It was fucking wild as hell.

13. Microwave

Microwave Groundskeeper

!

not selling it very well here

14. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

girl c'mon now

the reason why is because your life is getting measurably worse. And that's because because you keep talking about your wild and crazy drug adventures every time. If you write a post about how you opened a 401k or retirement savings account, or signed a lease, or got a job you'll probably get riotous applause.

You should seriously slow down on the drugs too. Not saying I've never been to crazy drug house parties but that's also really not the thing you want to be doing when a) you have severe mental health issues, and b) you're doing it every week or two. Fix one or the other of those - ideally both! - and then we can talk.

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I usually get flu symptoms from the vaccine, feel like death for a couple of years. But I still try to make a point of getting it, because I've got asthma and shit could get bad if I got the flu proper. This year was a pleasant surprise, about a day after the vaccine my upper arm ached abominably, and I was a bit tired for 2 or 3 days. But that was it. No other effects.

16. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

Don't waste your time. They've not listened to you, me, or the forty other people that's tried to show some kind of compassion and offer some form of advice that centers around "Don't fucking do it. You're stupid if you do, and you're likely going to die if you stay the course."

There is no bright light at the end of this tunnel, you will be dead, and everyone around you will be destroyed because instead of helping yourself, you decided to spark up a big bowl of meth to help you with all the demons floating in your head. Amphetamine abuse isn't funny. I've done tons of it and its weakened my heart. Its all fun and games when you're younger, but when you're older your body pays the toll.

Don't think you're going to just get out of this with no debt to yourself. Mental, physical and emotional turmoil until there's nothing left of you but some burned out addict sleeping on the side of a street or an empty building because you were to fucking dumb to listen to people trying to help.

Your problems aren't so great that other people can't understand where you're coming from. Stop being selfish and get some fucking help. Or don't, and burn out and die. Your choice. You're ultimately the only person that can fix what is wrong with you. Doctors and their medicines, therapy and their sessions are ultimately tools to convince you that you are better than you think you are and that you deserve more in life than what you're giving yourself.

Wake up and stop lying to yourself. We all care about you in the only way we can. This isn't me telling you that you're a bad person. This is me trying to reach you and help you.

This is the last time I speak about anything here. As always, my PM is open. If you want to talk, or need some help finding substance abuse councilors in your area, I'm more than willing to take the time to do so. But I'm done rewarding you for a destructive life style. Get on Discord and talk with people there, or reach out to the people that are offering here in this thread, but don't keep posting here your slow demise.

Take the next couple days to think before responding to me.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019 at 7:04 PM
  17. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

TOMD: Realised I'll be out of town on business the week of Sword and Shield release. This makes me sadder than it should at 29 years old.

18. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

Thank goodness switch is mobile and you can ship to hotels/drive to GameStop?
    Because if your business trips are like mine, that downtime demands Pokemon.

19. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Actually enjoyed playing Lets Go on the TV far more than anticipated. Don't intend to get a subjectively sub-optimal playthrough just because I'm in a rush.

20. DR

High Score:
    You say this like meth is an improvement.