1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 II 2019 Flash Story Competition

Prompt: Magical Fairytales
    Length: 800 - 1.2k
    Get Writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TOMD 5: The Order of the Braggart

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by BTT, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

I have a feeling its going to be socks all the way down. Dumbledore would have loved the shit out of this advent.

2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Chief Warlock

Ah, I love a good book. Just got done with Sanderson's Skyward. I read 3/4 of the book in one sitting today and immediately ordered the second of the series. Normally, neither sci-fi nor YA are my thing, but damn does that man know how to write a story. I can't remember the last time I was almost tearing out pages trying to get to the next one. And I felt so giddy after I was done, too.

3. sonder

sonder Seventh Year

It is a sock advent calendar!

4. Utsane

Utsane Fourth Year

I have the big jelly

5. sonder

sonder Seventh Year

Join me and we can be sock buddies!

6. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

I might actually commit murder for 12-30* new pairs of socks damn.

The Harry Potter is just a bonus.

*I'm Jewish idk how advent calendars work

7. Zombie

Instead of blowing a candle out, you get to push a perforated square open on a decorated calendar and pull gifts from it.

8. sonder

sonder Seventh Year

Advent is the 25 days leading up to Christmas Day. Advent calendars have you opening up one compartment a day until the day of Christmas. Each compartment contains a treat for the day. I’ve seen beer/makeup/sock/chocolate advent calendars.

You don’t need to commit murder. You just need to drive to your nearest Target (or go online) and head to the Christmas pajamas section. They’re currently 15USD with some percent off. It’s fifteen socks. If you’re not in the US, I’m not totally sure how it goes to get hands on this exact one.

(I was raised Buddhist lol)

9. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had a jam one last year where every day gave you a tiny jar of jam of a different flavor.

I ate a lot of toast last December.

(Atheist, but come on. Jam.)

10. Hαn Sαlsα

Hαn Sαlsα Hαn Sαlsæd First

For the last week I’ve had a headache so bad I can hardly even think properly sometimes.

11. Zombie

Sounds like you need a doctor.

12. Majube

Majube High Inquisitor

High Score:
    @Eilyfe I really liked the plot of that book but I was a bit put off by the prose in it, I'm reading the second now and hopefully, the prose continues being on par with the ending of the first.

edit: Realised that wasn't really detailed. I meant that it just felt more simplistic then Sanderson usually writes which is saying something as he's not really about purple prose in the first place. It just felt like such a down step imo as I had just put down the latest in the Stormlight Archives and went on a Sanderson kick and the way half the book was written at a level a decent fanfic author could write was disappointing. I loved the plot
    about their planet actually being a prison colony
    but the main character being so 'quirky' was annoying. Like at that point, if Sanderson can't write chicks without giving them one-dimensional/silly personalities just make it a guy for gods sake. Lots of his readers wouldn't mind that, and the romance felt dumb/shoe-horned too. Also,
    the way their society is all about fighting on through pain/seeing their teammates die felt like it could've been expanded more. I'm not saying it needed to be grimderp but it just felt like the book was YA for YA's sake when his book series the Reckoning/Calamities etc. felt more serious when it was dealing with a *less* serious matter
    in this book them dealing with all of mankind dying with them as they're the last.
    I did quite like the eyes though. Felt chilling reading that at one point lol, and yeah it was engrosssing to read, I put it down at first and then I bitched about it on discord for a day then picked it up and didn't stop till I finished it. Then bitched about it some more on discord, but this time with the added knowledge that the ending fully makes up for 90% of the faults. Like jeez, that ending saved the book for me.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  13. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Chief Warlock

The ending was fantastic, yeah. I got chills when Cobb came in on M-Bot to save the day. As for the prose: it was a bit simple, but that might be exactly why I found it so great, having just come of a three month ride through "high" literature for my exams. And it's wasn't simple enough to be off-putting either. It got the image in my head and that was all I needed.

As for Spensa, her name was the only thing that really bothered me. I haven't read much Sanderson so I'm not sure how he writes women in general (I remember Vin in Mistborn being decent though). She had her reason for being abrasive and quirky - and I actually found the over-the-top battle slogans gave the whole thing an ironic touch - but she wasn't just that: she was also courageous, sad, lonely, happy, etc. and went through quite a bit of growth over the course of flight school. So I can't say that I agree with her being one-dimensional, at least from my perspective. That being said, I don't make it a habit to go rummaging in the minds of teenage girls, so I've got no idea if what Sanderson showed is approximating accuracy.

I might start thinking differently about this in a few days but for now I'm still riding that high of tearing through the book, which is a sensation I hadn't experienced in quite a while.

14. Zombie

We have a whole book subforum...

15. Agent

Agent Professor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't you read his post? The headache is so bad that he can't even think so he couldn't think to call a Doctor.

16. Otters

Otters First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: Catch my employer breaking the law. Thankfully incompetence this time and not malice. Design and begin to implement a process to fix this. Get repeatedly instructed to commit regulatory breaches by my immediate management in this, refuse and escalate things to the legal & compliance team.

They'll have my back but now there's a 3 week delay for them to turn the request around and I'm watching the number of cases rise by the day.

Unable to work, only sit here and watch the mountain rise. Stress.

17. Utsane

Utsane Fourth Year

Alright how does Facebook know the specific brand of beer I bought last night if I never talked about it, never took pictures of it, and payed in cash? I'm freaking the fuck out.

18. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Welcome to The Future (tm).

19. Solfege

Solfege Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Location services. And perhaps cross-targeting --- does any of your friend group enjoy the same beer?

20. Zombie

They're listening to you man. Purge everything, smash your phone with a hammer, and get your own mail server.

This. But this is more a promotional thing of how to prevent it. Read that tech post that Nazgus and I think Ghenghiz wrote on NTT and see what you can do to prevent it. I was hoping it would be more specific in how they worked but cbf to go find anything atm.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019