1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Tower of Air by Cluegirl - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Alexx, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Title: Tower of Air
    Author: Cluegirl
    Rating: T
    Genre: Angst
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Sometimes, even when the price is too high, there is no choice but to pay it.
    Link: http://cluegirl.livejournal.com/305101.html

This really shook me up and was chilling. 5/5

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Tell us something about it. Or if even the barest detail would ruin it for us, then at least say that much.

*goes off to read*

---------- Post automerged at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

This is an Albus POV fic, for anyone who is interested in that information. It talks about how he outlived so many of the people around him how he dealt with that.

It's a bit too melodramatic, and the prose is average at best, but I managed to read until the end. I feel like they could have done more with it than they did, but I think they accomplished what they were trying to do. Some minor things irked me as well, like Albus calling Grindelwald by his last name instead of Gellert in a semi-personal setting, but eh, it's not bad.

Just not great either. It reminds me of that Opalish fic that was posted recently, the one with the letter and the cupboard. Better than a lot of the stuff I see, but more of an "Almost Recommended" for people (like me) who enjoy reading about Albus. I don't think it's library material though, not quite.

2.5/5 rounded up to 3/5 (mostly b/c Albus is one of my favorite characters)

[Edit] On reading it again I wonder if perhaps I was too lenient. The second half is hard for me to get through without skimming.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  3. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Read it. Found it moving, yet somewhat lacking. It was difficult to immerse myself, when I found myself struggling to suspend my disbelief. I think the author could have done a better job with this piece, add a lot more to it and really struck at the emotion that they were trying to convey.

It's not terrible, but rather average. 3/5, I suppose.

4. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    MoR did this better, sad to say.

5. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

I like it. Similar to what was in MoR, I'll agree, but still this was well written. 4/5 from me.

In response to Cheddar's comment about this being about the same as the story about the letter and the cupboard--I think this does one thing that that story does not: It deepens the character and increases empathy and respect. This is angst, not emo. For me, that's the difference between 3 stars and 4.

6. readerboy7

readerboy7 Fourth Year

seemed kinda well-written but i disliked the plot. decent characterisation of albus though. 3/5

7. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

I'd give it a 4/5 too, maybe even 4.5.

Great characterization of Albus, he needs this memorial to remind him of the cost and value of life. I like the mention of him having the ability to coldly order all the dead into battle as mere pawns or sacrifices.

I did wonder why Remus didn't get a portrait. Was it because Albus hoped not for him to die or anger at the werewolf?

Lovely prose, not emo but rather sad with a touch of hope.

8. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Pretty sure he was saving it for Lupin, I just think that he didn't want to admit it.