1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Trailblazer by 3ndless - T - Worm/Gundam

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Heather_Sinclair, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Title: Trailblazer
    Author: 3ndless
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    Fandom: Worm/Gundam fusion
    Pairings: None at this time.
    Summary: Trailblazer is a crossover featuring Tinker!Taylor with a specialization that allows her to replicate the technology of Mobile Suit Gundam.
    Link: SB

110k words so far

There was no official summary. This one is part of the author's note at the beginning.

It's an alt power Taylor and no Gundam knowledge is needed to follow the plot. Honestly, the author could get away with calling this an alt power period, without the Gundam added. It's an AU in the literal sense. Because the players are a little different in this Worm world. No Taylor/Undersiders as of yet. Some villains are heroes and some people are in different roles. Powers are tweaked a little in others. So it makes for a semi-fresh read.

Taylor is pretty much by herself in this one for a good portion, so no fanon team-up... at least until later.

Stations of canon are pretty much non-existent, though some things play out the same as far as character's personalities go. Some are way off on purpose. The author took a lot of liberty to make this a much different type of story, which is appreciated.

The beginning is a little slowish, until Taylor gets her legs and then it takes off and is fairly interesting. The last snippets of chapter 2 and the beginning of chapter 3 is where it starts to really shine. So if you're an instant gratification kind of person, this isn't for you.

Grammar and spelling is iffy at times, but it's not unreadable in the least.

3/5 Needs a beta. 4/5 otherwise.

2. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Loving this seriously, the integration of the Blue Cosmos, and various other Gundam elements makes it different from all other Alt-Powers.

Taylor feels like Taylor for once, and she actually has issues and hurdles, that aren't just thrown in her way for the sake of GrimDerp, not even to mention despite her being alone and still having shit moments with her dad, the story doesn't fall into rampant escalation and dumb shit that the fanon falls into all the time.

This and Pick a Card have slowly brought my interest back to Worm.

4/5

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't get the authentic Taylor feel but she is better here than in most altpower fics, so there is that. The small changes in the world are nice and I quite like the Blue Cosmos angle, especially with the familiar faces there.

The last chapter and the conversation with Charlotte were my favorites so far, looking forward for more of that.

4/5 so far

4. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

So, this story is still going strong and clocks in at nearly 800k words now, it is absolutely a slow burn but well worth it. The fusion elements and alterations to the past become more and more important as time goes by. For how successful Taylor is, she still gets challenged by other competent enemies (at times to much so and it feels like authorial fiat that it's the case) and her allies / frenemies are also shown to be competent and with their own independent motivations (not just existing in a pure vacuum for her to punch on when needed). Initially, I was very skeptical of setting this after an 'easy' victory over Scion but having watched a couple of the Gundam series' now, it really fits well with the crossover aspects and their themes (apocalyptic war that happened before and people building or fighting for a better something).

The plot with Teacher has taken an unexpected turn that I haven't seen before which makes for a cool twist regarding his motivation. Same for the triumvirate and how they would attempt to hold the world together after being unbelievably lucky with Scion.

This fic also led me to finally watch a couple of the different Gundams, IBO and 00. Personally, I don't think this belongs in the almost recommended at all.

4.25/5 great but with some frustrating aspects along the way, especially if you're following on an update by update basis.