1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TV with a savant protagonist

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Skeletaure, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm looking for TV shows where the main character is extremely talented, intelligent, or otherwise has some special ability.

Some examples:

House
    Sherlock
    Suits
    Altered Carbon
    Lucifer

To be clear, I'm not looking for shows with a protagonist who has a special power but is just one among an ecosystem of other people with similar powers, such as Buffy, the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, or the various Marvel TV shows. Nor am I looking for shows where the main character gains some cool abilities but is still outmatched by others, such as Marco Polo.

I'm looking for shows where the main character is uniquely special.

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Twilight Sparkle in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is very intelligent and has magical powers.

The material can be a bit dense but if you have a high enough IQ to enjoy Rick & Morty you can probably follow along.

3. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Did you ever watch Monk? I found the humor tiring every so often, but it's exactly what you're describing.

4. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

The first thing I though about recommending was Monk.

@Taure, the type of show you're looking for is pretty scarce to be honest.

The closest ones that resemble these type of shows are the typical American procedural shows.

The one I think you would enjoy the most is The Mentalist. The Protagonist is basically a genius at reading people. The character is also pretty charismatic and dynamic. The show also has a neat underline plot line regarding the Serial Killer that killed the Protagonist's family.

If you haven't watched it already, Lie to Me is also pretty good.

5. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I haven't seen all of these, so I can't speak to their quality, but I remember some from the commercials:

Kyle XY:

Lie to Me: I love this show, and it is pretty close in tone to House.
    Unforgettable
    There's also another one, about a drug that makes people ridiculously intelligent but usually kills them. This one random guy accidentally takes one and he's the only person who can do so without dying from it, so he gets recruited by the FBI. I'm trying to track it down right now.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Ha, found it! Also two others.

Limitless:

Chuck:

John Doe:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's Limitless, a spin-off of the 2011 feature film with Bradley Cooper. Cancelled after one season IIRC. DLP thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/threads/limitless-tv-series.30783/

7. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

IIRC there's a medical drama similar to house but the protagonist has actual savant syndrome. I think it was called The Good Doctor.

I watched the pilot and the second episode, both were mediocre. Some of my friends really enjoyed the show, though. Worth a look, at least.

8. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Yep, I found it. I remember liking it, a couple of the gags, but I couldn't remember why I dropped it. I guess instead I just finished it and never got another season.

After rereading the OP, I'm withdrawing Dexter and Malcolm in the Middle from my post. Not what Taure's looking for.

Lie to Me is borderline withdrawal. Cal Lightman isn't necessarily unique in his ability to read the faces of others, but he is very clearly better than his coworkers/employees. There's a reason his work is called the Lightman Group, after all.

I only ever saw one bit of an episode of John Doe. He was surrounding himself with a bunch of radios and televisions set to trivia channels, answering all of them at once. Not to test himself or anything, but to overload his brain so that he couldn't answer them, since the sensation of not knowing something was so unique that he wanted to feel it.

9. ChronicallyInsane

ChronicallyInsane Second Year

It's a foreign show, but the MC in the show "The Bridge" is a canonically autistic woman.

10. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In my opinion, this is literally The Best TV show ever made. Forget GoT, forget Breaking Bad, for me this is the pinnacle of TV and it's a crime against humanity that the show wasn't more popular when it was airing.

It has everything, action, comedy, romance, adventure, Family/Friendship, even some hints of tragedy if you squint.

I think the first episode is all on YouTube split up into parts and I would strongly recommend watching to anyone who can breathe.

11. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I would recommend 'The Good Doctor'. While the first few episodes are a bit of a drag, once it finds its feet it's pretty great.

12. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Numbers, or, Numb3rs.

13. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Billions - Genius hedge fund manager vs Genius US attorney
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4270492/

Hannibal - Genius-level psychopath vs literal autistic savant FBI agent - Netflix
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2243973/

Death Note - you already know the plot of this, Yagami Light vs L, genius level of cat and mouse crime/thriller/supernatural - Netflix, Anime
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0877057/

Stranger (Forest of Secret) - Genius prosecutor, crime/mystery, less overt savant than something like Sherlock - Netflix, Kdrama.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6461346/

Money Heist - Not the main character, but one of them is The Professor, mastermind behind the heist - Netflix, Spanish
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6468322/

Doctor John - Very similar to House - Kdrama
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10544464/

Lie to Me - as above, a fun watch with a 'case of the week' style, little overarching plot.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235099/

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Mentioned already but I recommend Hannibal and Limitless.

15. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Scorpion might qualify, but its objectively terrible. That's kinda the problem with what your asking for: there are quite a few of them, at least on American tv, but they mostly range from barely watchable to awful.

Elementary is another example. In my opinion, it's a lot better then Sherlock. Less wildly overblown. Though it does have many of the problems of American serialized tv.

16. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Elementary if you haven't seen it.

The shows been on for too long, but the first couple of seasons were great. Mostly because of Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock. He pulls off the tortured genius beautifully. Also unlike "Sherlock " it actually shows you how the mystery is solved instead of everything being done offscreen.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

While I really enjoyed the show, it has a really disappointing resolution to its main mystery. It's like of all the possibilities they actually hinted, they decided to choose the most boring one with the least charismatic person to play the killer, probably because nobody expected it to be that lacking.

And the series could end really well, if they simply used the season 3 finale as its finale.

I love the first two seasons, but when the show decided to reinvent itself in the third one, it slowly started to lose its magic for me. I never actually got to the fifth season and only checked spoilers for it.

Limitless really changed its tone in later episodes with its pastiche style, but it gained a lot of charm.

18. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I quite like the concept of
    Jayne himself being Red John and it being some kind of Split Personality thing
    . Yeah, people would have easily seen it coming but it's a lot better than what we got.
    How dare you blaspheme in such a manner?

For real though, I get why some people might not have liked the 2.0 upgrade and the first few episodes of S3 were handled perhaps a bit poorly (The depression stuff could have been done better) but it makes up for it later. I wouldn't really call it reinventing though, more like an evolution. How I heard it explained is that S1 and S2 is Chuck going from a Boy to a Man and S3 is him going from a Man to a Spy and S4 is him just cementing himself as a legend.

Seriously, the show has some of the best character development I've seen in a TV Show. Most shows, as time goes on, characters just become a caricature of themselves but here, each primary and secondary characters are developed really well and there are multiple facets to everyone.

Plus, Season 4 has what I consider is the best episode of the show (Push Mix) and what I would have considered the ideal stopping point for the series. End of S4 minus the last scene also would have been a good stopping point but they kind of shot themselves in the foot with S5. It's not their own fault cause they kept thinking they were on the verge of cancellation and S5 is a good season but it was a bit hard to amtch the high that was S4.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that Chuck has some of the best soundtracks of anything, easily dominating Guardians of the Galaxy.

19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Not sure if I would say it's dominating it, but it definitely rivals it.

20. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The Mentalist is a poor mans version of Psych.