1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 17 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. 2020 Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Conquistador, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Conquistador

Conquistador Professor

High Score:
    Since the election cycle is getting started, I figured we could use a thread in here.

So who are you guys supporting?

Right now I want Joe Biden to win because honestly, he's the only one who seems to have enough experience to put the world order back together.

I would be interested in Beto running as Biden's VP. Beto is young, he's fresh, and I honestly believe that he can do good. He just needs some experience first.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A Biden/Beto run would actually be brilliant.

8 Years of Biden followed by 8 Years of Beto is best case scenario imo.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    On the Republican side, if Trump survives this summer, he'll run in 2020 (if only to seek to run out the clock on statutes of limitations on his various criminal investigations). If he's impeached/removed (and it'd take way more than what we've seen so far to make McConnell and his ilk turn on him), Pence will be primaried and I'd look to Nikki Haley as the odds-on favorite.

For the Dems, it's too early to tell, really (and I'm sure the whole landscape will change a half-dozen times before we're done), but I've my eye on several as interesting. Today, I'm watching Harris, Biden, and (for VP) Beto. The first two will be solid centrists with broad message appeal among factions in the party. Both have the spine to face Trump. Harris has the advantage of being an articulate woman of color, pretty much the anti-Trump.

McAuliffe might make for an interesting long-shot and he's a wizard at raising money, though has baggage he'll have to address. (Giving 177 serving sex offenders back their franchises wasn't a particularly insightful #metoo move.)

Sherrod Brown, who needs someone to float him a few throat lozenges, might have been a 2016 competitor, but his anti-NAFTA and free trade positions will need some work.

That said, both McAuliffe or Brown would be white, male, younger, working-class-appealing Biden-lites.

Beto is a solid VP candidate. The knock on him for the presidency is experience (he'd need Obama's blessing and machinery to have a shot), sub-par debating skills, and the fact that he lost to the likes of Rafael Edward Cruz. ("Close" isn't good enough for Dems in 2020.)

Another good VP candidate would be Castro. If he can over-perform in the primaries and avoid sinking his brand, he might be a good, Latino face to balance a ticket.

The ones I don't believe are headed to the top of the ticket:

Warren. Yeah, she's the front-runner, but my sense is that she's good to have out there to absorb all the arrows early (see what I did there?) before she heads to a Howard Dean-like burial in Iowa. Dems want to win more than they want a hard-progressive platform that can't pass Congress and folks will generally be wary of visionary populist movements after seeing what Sanders did last time around. Her main (important) function in the race will be to pull the mainline platform left and peel off the Bernie vote.

Booker has charisma but an alarming lack of discipline at times. His antics during the Kavanaugh hearings left him with a lot of ground to make up with voters whom he annoyed.

Gillibrand won't be able to raise cash after shoving Franken under the bus. And she's already violated her pledge to serve six years in her reelection run.

Klobucher isn't distinctive in a field already heavy with women candidates.

Bloomberg feels like the wrong guy for the moment. Do the Dems really need their own out-of-touch billionaire doing a presidential vanity project?

Sanders will be out once someone looks hard at his corner of the whole #metoo thing (as I've been told by insider friends). Clinton couldn't hit him hard here because of history but the rest of the field won't be so constrained.

4. Conquistador

Conquistador Professor

High Score:
    Have to agree with Pers on Warren. I don't know who the so called "experts" are that are calling her as a favorite but even if she somehow wins primaries, Trump would absolutely end her. We know how the President likes bestowing nicknames upon his opponents and Warren already has one. She blew her shot.

I agree that Harris is a women of color, giving her an advantage with hardcore leftists (the kind that turn out for primaries) and that Biden is an old white man. That said, if I had to choose one candidate to get Obama's support rn, it would be Biden and that means a lot.

I honestly doubt Booker has the ability to get his name out well enough to win a crowded primary.

Another plus for Biden is that he has the widespread blue-collar appeal, something that is very important in today's swing states.

I honestly don't see impeachment as a possibility right now.

I don't know how much of a chance Sanders has to be honest. And even if he has a chance, I wouldn't want him as my president. He's way too far out on the left. A more centrist ticket is the way to go.

I would be interested in a Bloomberg run though. If he could somehow get a message of unity vs. division going, he might have a chance.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Dem Field breaks down roughly as follows (all of this is subject to change):

Top Tier: These candidates have a brand, know donors, are known to voters

Biden, Beto, Harris, Warren, Sanders

Mid Tier: These candidates have a regional brand, know donors, are known to some voters

Booker, Gillibrand, Brown

Low Tier: Have a brand or know donors or are known to voters (pick 1 or 2 of 3)

Swalwell, Bullock, Stacey Abrams, Inslee, Hickenlooper

Shit tier: What it sounds like

Kloboucher, McAuliffe, Castro, Delaney, Ojeda, Vermin Supreme

Level Zero: Thanks @Perspicacity!

Tulsi Gabbard, Lyndon LaRouche

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  6. Arthellion

High Score:
    Stacey Abrams is a potential runner? Even if low tier my reaction= Wut?!?

7. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

In my personal opinion Biden is too old for the post. I mean he would be nearly eighty when he takes office and I don't care how healthy/robust you are that isn't an age suited for a position as demanding and stressful as that of the president.

8. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's fitter now than Trump was 30 years ago. Besides, that's why we have vice presidents.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
    Biden is also probably the -most- palatable candidate to independents and anti-trump republicans.

10. Agayek

Agayek Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

I'm not too worried about Biden's age. It is a concern, admittedly, given the inevitable chaos should he die in office, but that's vastly preferable to the chaos we've got now and far from guaranteed.

11. Conquistador

Conquistador Professor

High Score:
    As an Independent, I have to agree with this.

And as for the age factor guys, this is why we need Biden/Beto. Biden is honestly the kind of guy I can see a lot of independents voting for.

I get that some people say we need to swing far to the left to counter Trump but that's not it. This country does it need more division, it needs an experienced and able politician to unite under. It needs someone who can bridge the divide, not just jump across it.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

She's more likely to run for Senate, but her name has been floated around by more than a few people. I think that if she decides to run, she'll definitely have some delegates at convention (if it's contested.)

EDIT: Just realized that I forgot to include Tulsi Gabbard in the shit tier. Whoops!

13. wox2d

wox2d DA Member

Gotta echo the Biden/Beto sentiment in this thread. It seems the most surefire way for them to win.

I'm honestly just concerned Dems are gonna fuck up and we're going to get Pres. Trump Term Two. Like it should've been a gimme in 2016 and is should be a gimme in 2020 but I just can't muster the confidence.

Regardless, I live in a solidly republican state so I don't feel like I have much power on a national level.

14. raobuntu

raobuntu Second Year

High Score:

2016 was... weird. Hillary would have been a fantastic president, but she wasn't a great candidate, especially following Obama. The whole primary bs with Bernie hurt her too, since he didn't even have the grace to throw his full support behind her.

Also, I think we forget she led by as high as 8-10 points in a few polls in the two weeks between Hollywood Access and Comey's announcement

15. Perspicacity

High Score:

16. Lindsey

Lindsey Headmaster DLP Supporter

I don't see Biden/Beto happening.

Ignoring the fact that Biden is going to be almost 80 by 2020, I can't see two white men taking both positions after everything that has happened in the last two years. Add the fact that almost half of the candidates elected at this time were women, and the massive swing of women to the Democratic party, I am almost certain we will see at least one woman as the Vice President or President candidates. It's a stupidly easy way to get votes, and I can't imagine they wouldn't take it.

If anything, I see Biden/Harris over Biden/Beto.

Personally, my top picks would be Klobucher, Biden or Harris with Warren coming in closely after. As much as I like Sanders, I do not want him to run for a magnitude of reasons. I am also not a fan of Jay Inslee, who may be running, as he is my current governor and feel like he has done shit.

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

It baffles me every time I hear about him possibly running for president, and I always wonder if anyone outside of the state has any idea who he is. I mean, he hasn't really screwed anything up horribly as far as I know, but I hear easily 10x as much about mayoral/senate/house stuff as I do about whatever he does all the time.

18. Perspicacity

High Score:
  19. Marsupial

Marsupial Headmaster DLP Supporter

Eh, I live on the east coast and he's at least on my radar. He talks the right talk on climate change, seems decent on social issues, seems like a reasonably capable person, and hasn't done anything completely fucking retarded that I'm aware of. There are probably 3 or 4 people right now who I think both would be a decent president, and would have a chance at winning against Trump, and he's one of them. That said, I don't really see how he would ever win the primaries to get to that position, but stranger things have happened.

20. Conquistador

Conquistador Professor

High Score:
    Fair point to the person who brought up the women VP idea. And that's true, but honestly, it SUCKS. Harris honestly doesn't excite me as a candidate. But because she is a black woman, it is fairly likely that she may end up as Vice President of the United States.

Normally, I wouldn't give a shit about the VP but Biden is old. Choose a woman. Choose a person of color. But at least choose a good one. Harris is a bland candidate capitalizing on her race and her sex. I don't mean this in an offensive way. I support equality. If you can find a great Woman of Color to run, give them every chance. That said, when I think of Harris, the first thing I think of is that she's a black woman. That's her brand. She waited for MLK day because frankly, that's all she has.