1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. 2020 Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Conquistador, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Welcome to democracy.

2. Conquistador

Conquistador Professor

High Score:
    Didn't you hear? Arthellion is about to make it an aristocracy. We will get the best person for the job after all.

#Arthellion2020

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I was about to respond, "Well if you'd like to hear about our lord and savior Aristocracy...."

but you beat me to it.

And nope. I would never run for president. Though if I did run and win, I'd fund all of you to churn out fanfiction 8 hours a day.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

8? What is this? Some kind of liberal hippie commune? I want our most talented slaving away sweatshop style.

Also, considering what the republicans are running right now... Arthellion aint looking too bad eh?

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Trump would beat me in the election if only half the shit I've said online makes it to the general public. Talking about the dangers of democracy doesn't ingratiate you to said democracy.

Edit: Though I can only imagine my inauguration speech if I won. "To my fellow Americans, and citizens of the free nations of the world...I'm sorry our last president was such a little shit."

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. pbluekan

pbluekan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah... When millennials really start getting into politics, I guarantee this will start happening.

7. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Going back to Bloomberg...

I'd personally rather he didn't run. He's a Moderate Billionaire Old White Guy, which isn't exactly what we need right now. And if he's really interested in taking down Trump, the best thing he could do is invest heavily in that data-focused political organization he's talking about. With his resources, such an organization could do a lot of good, way more than a Presidential run could.

8. pbluekan

The issue is, the alternatives are some crazy motherfuckin' bitches. They all have gone for some extreme left policies that are either 1. retarded pie in the sky wishes, or 2. poorly though out idealized nonsense (like this UBI shit). There isn't a single person in the running yet who is somewhat centrist and isn't an old white guy.

We need centrism on almost every issue but climate change right now, if we want any hope at pushing any of it though congress. Reactionary bullshit won't serve anyone.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Do you have data indicating that UBI doesn't work? I ask because it seems to be popular and effective in places where it's been tried (Alaska, e.g.).

If there are clear counterexamples showing it's ineffective and ruinous, I'd be interested in hearing of them. If not, then, well, why not discuss it? Automation is making most jobs obsolete anyway. We can't all be Uber drivers* or massage therapists.

*Another job that'll be obsolete in the not so distant future thanks to self-driving cars.

10. pbluekan

The issue isn't UBI itself, it's how it is proposed. Alaska's UBI isn't really UBI. It's a $2k annual check. What has been proposed is literally enough money for an individual to live on in many parts of the country. $1k monthly. Programs such as medicare and social security would be cut and this would replace them. The idea itself is nice. The issue is that it is predicated on people going to work because they want to, rather than have to. But, at least in my opinion, we aren't there yet. Because this:
    Isn't all the way there yet.

Who wants to be a trash man? A dishwasher? A factory grunt?

Maybe in twenty years the automation would be there to make this sort of stuff obsolete, and UBI could be instituted to cover people while they retrain and reeducate or retire. Right now? We would see a massive labor shortage.

Sadly, I couldn't find any credible counters in a cursory search, so this is more opinion than anything. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. I just don't think it's viable yet.

11. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

1. Did you really just refer to the people running for the nomination, which includes no less than 4 women, as "crazy bitches?" Because I just wanted to make sure you understood the sexist connotations of that phrase.

2. Last time I checked, none of the major candidates have actually advocated for UBI. No matter its benefits or drawbacks, it's irrelevant to this discussion.

3. Which policies currently advocated by the major candidates are "extreme left" again? Is it raising the tax rate on the rich, or creating some method of providing universal coverage?

4. How exactly would you define "centrism" exactly? I've seen that word used a lot, and I never quite understood what it actually meant outside of some vague "meet in the middle" idea that's lacking on the actual details.

12. Invictus

Invictus Banned

Finland's experiment was a failure, and that was the only major one I am aware of. It did make people somwhat happier, but I am sure that would quickly would wear off and become something people just saw as another welfare payment once the new luster wore off.

Sanders is the only crazy bitch. Warren is kinda crazy, Gillibrand is an evil bitch and Harris too bland and careful to be either crazy or a bitch.

2 - Day's young.

3- Universal Healthcare. Free College. No private insurance. 70% or higher income, anything besides 49% tax on gains or income is far left-populism since the state is getting more of your work than you are. Green New Deal is Keynesiasm on insane steroids with unrealistic enviromentalism and downright utopia dreams that the far left dreams.

4- Bloomberg. Bullock. Jon Hunt. Rockfeller Republican. Etc

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Aside from the top tax rate being only 45%, it would seem that Germany is an "extreme leftist," far-left-populism state. Go figure.

14. pbluekan

The use of that phrase, while not PC, was entirely purposeful. Don't get yourself in a twist. Have you seen Bernie? What about Amy Klobuchar?

https://www.yang2020.com/what-is-ubi/

Not exactly a major candidate, but I never really claimed any major ones were proposing it, just used it as an example.

@Invictus pretty much covered the rest. Sure I support some of these policies, but we can't just leap straight there.

15. Invictus

Invictus Banned

It has State Run Churches, and all the clergy are more or less State employees. It legalized Zoophilia and Incest, because moral laws have no place existing because etc etc. Its Armed Forces are a joke, and the government likes it like that. You have actual guilds that tightly control almost all professions, guilds that say who can or cannot work in their professions - in that, anyone that wants to do such work has to go through an years long process that is trade marked protectionism from blue collars. All while having a super rich class that works with dirty money from all over, but specially Russia.

Sounds like quite the far left dream to me. Being fiscally responsible doesnt make you automatically an actual conservative.

16. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

A lot of those policies are:

a. An exaggeration/misinterpretation of the actual policies.
    b. Quite popular with the masses.
    c. Already done in some parts of the world to great effect.
    d. A lot more possible than certain people like to believe.

Also, I find it interesting how self-proclaimed Centrists spend a lot of time on policies they oppose (from Trump's Wall to AOC's tax policy), but they almost never discuss what policies they do support. So what kind of Presidential policies would you actually support?

17. Invictus

Invictus Banned

You know, I don't think all of them was successfully done with a country with the same kind of expending the US already has. But do explain to me how they will pay for all that, without massive tax increase on the middle class and taxing products way more. Because taxing the super and rich won't pay it. Taxing companies will not pay it since they will just keep moeny outside, in Paradises like Ireland.

18. Hakairyu

Hakairyu Fourth Year

You keep using that word. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

19. Invictus

Invictus Banned

US Far Left is different from European/German/British Far Left. Since this is the US election, I'm referring to those standards. You want to talk about the Communist Party of India, lets do it in an India thread. Or talk about old style Union Marxist Inspired British Left that is now mostly mainstream left, we do in an UK thread.

Mainstream Republicans of a more hawkish bent like Lindsey Graham would be considered extreme right in Europe, while a centrist like Jon Huntsman would be solid right. So lets be consistent with the context we have, or else do you want me to draw to you and Rhaegar everytime I am using american standards since you can't bother to think that much?

20. pbluekan

Not that I don't agree with the rest, but there is a historical precedent for that. For the last 70 years, nobody has wanted to see Germany spend anything in that sphere.