1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. 2020 Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TieHat, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Invictus

Invictus Banned

2. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

God, that website about O'Rourke. It's like I'm back in the 90s.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion The Chosen One

High Score:
    That article on Beto...

Dang, he would be the first truly digitally-savvy President if he won.

4. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

This has me seriously considering voting for him for the first time. Will be keeping a close eye on him through the primary season.

5. Arthellion

High Score:
    Still think best ticket is Biden/Beto for 2020 but Biden resigns after first term letting Beto run for presidency in 2024

6. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Stop making me like Beto, I've been enjoying the salt Mr. Spraytan incites.

7. Arthellion

High Score:
    Is this the twilight zone? A candidate was a punk rocker, hacked things, and pirated video games, but somehow this increases his popularity?

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

We aren't exactly representative, y'know.

9. Invictus

Invictus Banned

It's almost like this is a forum populated by people raised on such things or to view such things as pretty cool, like an internet forum for adults and young adults that was plenty edgy...

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    I mean yes it’s obvious when you put it like that. I’m more just referring to the fact this would’ve been unthinkable 15 years ago.

11. EsperJones

EsperJones Headmaster

I mean, compared to the alternative?

12. Innomine

Innomine Death Eater Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, the world is embarking on another rapid transformation/paradigm shift a la 30s and 80s right? This is to be expected.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let's just hope history doesn't repeat itself.

14. Invictus

Invictus Banned

15. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

Eh. Pretty sure his campaign, like any other, still runs off the backs of legions of unpaid interns and volunteers so I hesitate to call it more than polishing his brand.

16. Innomine

Innomine Death Eater Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That’s the choice we face now right? Do we go in a direction similar to Trump, or something else.

In a way, this was inevitable, we always get radical ideological change on a semi regular basis. It's the boom and bust nature of capitalism.

While the neoliberal flavour of economics we’ve had for the last 40ish years has spurred remarkable progress in some ways, it’s equally had its drawbacks. Few of us would call the status quo, where it has lead us, desirable. With the advent of Trump and Brexit, the conversation has changed. Things that even 3 years ago would seem abhorrent, are now discussed openly. AOC is a good example here. And while extreme views dominate the news cycle, but I'm not convinced that an extreme direction is inevitable.

While I disagree with @Arthellion on many individual points, I do agree with his broader argument that the only way forward for America is to unite. And that the values we hold will be central to that. What they are, and how that is to occur is a different story. The current levels of polarisation are incredibly damaging and destructive. I think the concept of the 'other' is a useful one to analyse the current situation from a social/societal point of view. Nothing brings people together like a shared adversary, and it is entirely possible for climate change to be that adversary. Trump has the potential to be that as well.

Trump, despite being a short term disaster, is almost useful in this sense. He is a catalyst which drives change. He presence draws attention to all of the flaws within the system. And while the US may have gone backwards at a federal level, what individual states and cities are doing to counteract this is extremely heartening. I am extremely interested in seeing whether youth will finally vote in the next election.

17. Amekonnen

Amekonnen First Year

High Score:
    It's more that we can see AI development is speeding up so much now than ever before that we can see a very real future where AI is just better than humans at a lot of jobs.

Edit: i can't spell we apparently. Fixed.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  18. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    The problem is there is not a single idea - not one - that holding is an intrinsic element of being American. There is not one idea we require prospective citizens to hold. There is no idea that's deficiency results in loss of citizenship.

One does not even have to accept the idea that America or Americans as a distinct people even exist.

A people united by a federal tax code and a penal system for defying it.

19. Amekonnen

Amekonnen First Year

High Score:
    I'd argue that we defined what it means to be American was defined by the first sentence in the declaration of independence (And our best way of upholding those 3 basic rights being the system and laws we built), but since a lot of the world has basically assimilated those ideas I think I agree. Though I think I would have been able to an argument for Americans hating the idea of an aristocracy as an ironic unifying factor(I don't think that applies when we love celebs so much).

20. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    ... the unifying factor of the United States is the need to write out why you are dissolving a relationship so that third parties understand your intent before God?

If you meant the Constitution, I would bet that the majority of people living in the United States right now oppose the idea that this country was founded exclusively for the posterity of the people who founded it.