1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 17 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. 2020 Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Conquistador, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Gabbard is three qualifying polls short atm, if I recall. It's close, but I think the donors are probably more doable than three polls.

That being said, the same sentiment I expressed in the quoted post applies to Gabbard as well, just change out self-funding billionaire for war crime conspiracy theorist.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I’m just glad Gillibrand is most likely out. She was really annoying.

I expect Booker and Harris to continue to beat up the old white man.

Bernie and Warren to debate policy.

Kobluchar and Beto and Buttigieg to try to stand out.

This debate will make or break Yang imo. Either he gets a huge surge in popularity or he will just middle along

3. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

4. Arthellion

High Score:
  5. pbluekan

pbluekan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Not surprised. Elon is a bit of a force of nature when it comes to doing the impossible and getting others to do the same. Yang seems like his kind of candidate.

Should be a good thing for Yang’s popularity. Elon has a very large, very rabid, fan base if the performance of Tesla’s stock is any measure.

Speaking of Yang’s popularity, I’m hearing a lot more about him by word of mouth. Both in specific and in general discussions.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

7. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Second Year

High Score:
    I know this seems kind of random, but I have been looking into corporate tax avoidance. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was REALLY bad so in light of that does anyone know what candidates have said on fixing the tax code or has no one said anything?

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Headmaster DLP Supporter

9. Arthellion

High Score:
  10. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

... Damn.

I've honestly been ignoring the election for the most part, because 20+ candidates was way too much for me to try and get a handle on, but Yang just shot way up in my estimation. Just knew him as the UBI guy and didn't really see how that could work, but he does a fantastic job of addressing that in the interview.

Also seems to have a solid idea of what his path to a victory would look like, which is a massive plus for me since that was a concern.

11. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Second Year

High Score:
    I'm gonna say I called it on yang. The UBI policy can be a boom or bust depending on how its actually implemented but a vat is a decent way of making sure corporations pay their taxes without some crazy changes (at least not to my knowledge). However I do hope if he does get elected he chooses to implement ubi by expanding the EITC or something like that. Also progressives seem to be doing pretty well so far, offering a coherent narrative and message for the country seems to be doing well for them.

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    It’s funny how I don’t really consider Yang a progressive.

He is of course, but typically progressives come across as much more...ideological? It’s interesting

13. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Second Year

High Score:
    Yang, I think, is proof that horseshoe theory is true he has a policy so radical that it 'loops' around and is ironically more popular with Republicans than democrats (at least from what I've seen in the media).

14. Arthellion

High Score:
    If Yang wins the presidency, I'll totally admit I was wrong about dems needing a moderate who could keep Republicans home. Turns out, they needed a progressive so radical, they convinced moderate republicans/independent etc. to vote blue.

15. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Second Year

High Score:
    The strength of the progressive wing these last couple months makes me think we are seeing a shift from the Reagan idea that "government is the problem" to government is part of the solution, which considering our debt and climate change I'm cautiously excited for.

Edit: me grammar king derpdy derp

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  16. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

As long as Warren + Sanders are combined polling higher than Biden, I have hope. Biden's brain is melting and I don't want to see two senile old men fighting for the presidency in this absolutely pivotal time. The last poll I saw today from Economist/YouGov has Biden 23, Warren 20, Sanders 16, Harris 8, Buttigieg 6, O'Rourke 5, Booker 2, Yang 2, Gabbard 2, Klobuchar 1, Castro 1, Steyer 1, Gillibrand 1.

Also, by the way, Yang's version of UBI is incredibly immoral and absurd. If you stop to think about those people who are disabled, etc... who require far more than 1k a month in benefits, well he wants to replace those benefits with his measly 1k UBI. This pittance is going to be exploited to the bone by the gruesome Republicans in years to come by cutting Welfare (look it up, it's in the preamble to the Constitution) if he's successful (God willing he won't be).

It's not a bad thing he has brought this concern to the fore, and UBI may be good and even necessary in the future, but Yang is not the vessel to make that happen.

17. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Second Year

High Score:
    Hence why I said an expansion of the EITC. The fact that we are considering the idea is insane considering it requires more taxes which big daddy Reagan doesn't like.

Edit: llike to like. Grammar is evil, EVILLLLL
    --- Post automerged ---
    To those who might not know what it is: the EITC is a tax credit for low income to moderate income individuals and couples (usually with children). (I realized I was saying this a lot so that here is a quick description.)

18. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The EITC is a scam against single filers. Fuck that shit.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
    @Howdy Read Yangs actual policy. The freedom dividend is designed as an opt in program. You can choose not to receive it and still get all your welfare/what you get now.

His plan doesn’t take away anything from those who want to keep those plans. It’s not designed to be lived on. It’s designed to be supplemental income.

Saying republicans will use it to cut welfare is a separate issue that has no bearing on the morality of Yang’s plan.

Good luck trying to Whatever republican tries take away Medicare and shit like it...

20. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Second Year

High Score:
    It's probably one of the most progressive parts of our tax system and it targets hit really important areas like low income families. From what I've seen it sucks for single filers but it's meant to help families more, which is a good and bad thing. (A lot harder to say no to low income children not being in poverty but well its hard to get republicans to expand it for other low to moderate income people.)

Edit: ok it's not me at this point it's autocorrect. F**k autocorrect and..... my phone

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019