1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. 2020 Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Conquistador, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

I agree that ending the the filibuster is a bad idea, but I also think that the second Mitch thinks he can get away with it politically and it furthers his political goals, he'll nuke it without even hesitating.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  3. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Fourth Year

High Score:
    The ranking is interesting. I would have put Cory in last (because he already has name recognition but has comparatively little core supporters for that recognition). Besides that the ranking seems pretty good to me. We are nearing the end of the stage where candidates are introducing themselves.

The dark horses seem to be Warren (I agree that she is the weakest against Trump), Yang, and buttigeg (Not in any particular order). I expect Cory and Kamala OR Biden to drop out in 4ish months.

Kamala because of her prosecutor issue will kill her if she doesn't find a way to respond and her middling showing already.

Biden because he is going to lose his name recognition advantage by then so I dunno if he will last (it'll depend on whether the black community and old people).

I'm hesitant if Warren wins the nomination that she feels somewhat weak to Trump.

Then I'm kinda hesitant if Bernie wins because I don't know how he will implement his policies(I don't disagree with the spirit of his message though).

Edit: spacing seemed helpful

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The filibuster is 100% necessary, but the way it's done now is both counter-productive and bad. Current filibuster rules are "you push a button and say you're filibustering, and then nothing happens until you say you're done", whereas in the past, if you wanted to filibuster, you had to actually get up and give a speech for it to count. They really just need to go back to the older model, where you had to invest a great deal of time and energy into the filibuster, instead of the modern version that any pissant with a grudge can abuse.

5. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Fourth Year

High Score:
    Very true @Agayek but then do we just force congress that in order to filibuster you must actually be on the Senate floor?Also there is another problem with the filibuster, partisanship(They would be far more likely to not use it if they had constructive debates).

6. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

We're getting a bit off-topic for this thread, we should move it to the general politics thread or start a new one or something if you wanna keep going on it.

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

So, in other white knuckled news, Ruth Bader Ginsburg just finished a 3 week chemo session for pancreatic cancer. The survival rate of that type of cancer is minimal so I’m not optimistic. Two cancers in 2019.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well that's a bit shit. Here's to hoping she lives through it or, to be completely blunt, at least lives long enough that Trump isn't President by the time she passes away.

9. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Don’t worry they don’t assign Supreme Court Justices in the final year of a Presidents term....

10. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP would push through a SCOTUS justice if the previous occupant died on Christmas Eve 2020 and Trump was on his way out, provided they had an actual Senate majority come the next Congress. Unfortunately for the Democrats, their road to a majority of their own seems to be quite stacked if not impossible.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
  12. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Technically, the "precedent" McConnell disclaims is no SC appointments in the final year if the presidential party does not possess the Senate (how convenient). But they chose not to emphasise that nuance.

Good luck....

13. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    More like "Nothing you want when we can get away with it."

Which I'd be kind of okay with if he was honest about the nakedness of it.

14. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
  15. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

M4A may set the framework of the conversation, but centrists sure as hell can try to hijack that. How's about Medicare Advantage for All? (Let's keep moving us more towards a Bismarck system.)

Fun, fun, fun op-ed from former NY Fed president Bill Dudley and the most irresponsible remarks made by any central banker in recent history.
    Who will champion MA4A and an independent Fed?

16. Stealthy

Stealthy Seventh Year

17. Arthellion

High Score:
    Thank goodness.

18. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I'm guessing she saw the new polls, concluded she's never going to get in another debate (never mind win the nomination), and decided it's best to drop out before it gets any more embarrassing for her.

Does anyone think more candidates will drop out before the September debate?

19. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a couple others drop out soon, yes. Probably the 0 % 0 polls peanut gallery - think Bullock, Ryan, Bennet, de Blasio. Steyer probably stays in, though I think I read that he's not airing ads atm, and dito Gabbard: they're the closest to qualifying for October (which is same rules, just a longer period of time to get your stuff done). Williamson probably thinks herself in the same category as the two I mentioned previously as well.

Oh, and if you're missing Delaney, I have him conceding that he's completely and utterly irrelevant at some point after the Iowa caucuses.

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

So this is a thing. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...159676-c9aa-11e9-a1fe-ca46e8d573c0_story.html

So usually, I can pass up facts that get in the way of a good story. It's like -- you wanna make a point, you have a good story to tell, I don't really care if it's actually true. Entertain me. But in the current world, this is maybe not the ... best decision?