1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q3 2019 Story Competition entries are up folks! Reviewing open for 3 more days! (September 24th)

Once you have reviewed, you can rank your top three
    Dismiss Notice

UEFA Euro 2016 - The French Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

In a bit under four days, the 2016 UEFA European Championship will start in the Parisian suburb of Saint-Denis. For the first time, the tournament will play host to 24 teams, up from 16 in the previous tournaments dating back to 1996. These countries will, over the course of a month and 51 matches, duke it out to see who'll be named the European football champion of this year, earning them a right to compete in 2017's Confederation Cup, eternal glory, and multiple days of interrupted work in the winning country. Spain are defending champions, having won in both 2008 and 2012 with their golden generation, but as we saw in 2014, their dominance could end here.

Format

The format, Wikipedia tells me, is similar to the format used in the 1986, 1990, and 1994 World Cups with 24 teams, with the exception of a possible play-off between third-placed teams. There are six groups of four, and nabbing the #1 or #2 slot gives you a guaranteed place in the next round. The four best #3 teams, sorted by points, GD, goals scored, fair play, and UEFA national team coefficient, in that order, are also through to the round of 16. From there, it's a standard knockout system with extra time, penalty shootouts, and copious amounts of nailbiting fans.

Teams

Due to the expanded tournament, there are more than a few new teams at the Championship. These are Albania, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Slovakia, and Wales. Additionally, Austria and Ukraine qualified through the group stages for the first time, after being hosts, and thus automatically qualified, in 2008 and 2012 respectively. Germany is the country with the most appearances, appearing in their twelfth consecutive European Championship.

Notable absent teams are FIFA 2014 third place finisher the Netherlands, who managed to steal only one measly point off of the three teams in their qualifying group (Czech Republic, Iceland, Turkey) that did make it to Euro 2016; Denmark, who got denied in the playoffs by Sweden in what I am told was a very happy occasion for the Swedes; Greece, who ended bottom of their qualifying group behind (on points scored against) the Faroe Islands; and Scotland, who have the dubious honour of being the only team from the British Isles to not go to France. So much for the Auld Alliance.

Groups

Code:
    [U]Group A[/U]:          [U]Group B[/U]:          [U]Group C[/U]:    
    France            England           Germany
    Romania           Russia            Ukraine
    Albania           Wales             Poland
    Switzerland       Slovakia          Northern Ireland

[U]Group D[/U]:          [U]Group E[/U]:          [U]Group F[/U]:    
    Spain             Belgium           Portugal
    Czech Republic    Italy             Iceland
    Turkey            Rep. of Ireland   Austria
    Croatia           Sweden            Hungary
    Matches

Putting these behind spoilers to avoid having to mass-scroll. This being a 24 team tournament, there's a requirement for weird shenanigans w.r.t the third place finishers and who will face whom in the round of 16. Long story short, it depends on which groups provide the best third placed teams. Wikipedia shows it a lot better than I can explain it, so click on that if you need an explanation.

Code:
    [U]Teams (Group)[/U]                 [U]Date[/U]   [U]Time (CEST)[/U]  
    France - Romania (A)          10-6   21:00          
    Albania - Switzerland (A)     11-6   15:00
    Wales - Slovakia (B)          11-6   18:00
    England - Russia (B)          11-6   21:00
    Turkey - Croatia (D)          12-6   15:00
    Poland - N. Ireland (C)       12-6   18:00
    Germany - Ukraine (C)         12-6   21:00
    Spain - Czech Rep. (D)        13-6   15:00
    Rep. of Ireland - Sweden (E)  13-6   18:00
    Belgium - Italy (E)           13-6   21:00
    Austria - Hungary (F)         14-6   18:00
    Portugal - Iceland (F)        14-6   21:00

Russia - Slovakia (B)         15-6   15:00
    Romania - Switzerland (A)     15-6   18:00
    France - Albania (A)          15-6   21:00
    England - Wales (B)           16-6   15:00
    Ukraine - N. Ireland (C)      16-6   18:00
    Germany - Poland (C)          16-6   21:00
    Italy - Sweden (E)            17-6   15:00
    Czech Rep. - Croatia (D)      17-6   18:00
    Spain - Turkey (D)            17-6   21:00
    Belgium - Rep. of Ireland (E) 18-6   15:00
    Iceland - Hungary (F)         18-6   18:00
    Portugal - Austria (F)        18-6   21:00

Romania - Albania (A)         19-6   21:00
    Switzerland - France (A)      19-6   21:00
    Russia - Wales (B)            20-6   21:00
    Slovakia - England (B)        20-6   21:00
    Ukraine - Poland (C)          21-6   18:00
    N. Ireland - Germany (C)      21-6   18:00
    Czech Rep. - Turkey (D)       21-6   21:00
    Croatia - Spain (D)           21-6   21:00
    Iceland - Austria (F)         22-6   18:00
    Hungary - Portugal (F)        22-6   18:00
    Italy - Rep. of Ireland (E)   22-6   21:00
    Sweden - Belgium (E)          22-6   21:00

Code:
    [U]Teams (Match #)[/U]                 [U]Date[/U]   [U]Time (CEST)[/U]  
    A2 - C2 (1)                     25-6   15:00
    B1 - A3/C3/D3 (2)               25-6   18:00
    D1 - B3/E3/F3 (3)               25-6   21:00
    A1 - C3/D3/E3 (4)               26-6   15:00
    C1 - A3/B3/F3 (5)               26-6   18:00
    F1 - E2 (6)                     26-6   21:00
    E1 - D2 (7)                     27-6   18:00
    B2 - F2 (8)                     27-6   21:00

Winner 1 - Winner 3 (9)         30-6   21:00
    Winner 2 - Winner 6 (10)        1-7    21:00
    Winner 5 - Winner 7 (11)        2-7    21:00
    Winner 4 - Winner 8 (12)        3-7    21:00

Winner 9 - Winner 10 (13)       6-7    21:00
    Winner 11 - Winner 12 (14)      7-7    21:00

Winner 13 - Winner 14           10-7   21:00

Additional Info
    Full Squad List on the BBC website.
    List of broadcasters.
    Official website.

Let the tournament begin.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This tournament is the first in a while without any clear favourites to win. Most bookies have France down as the favourites and they do look very strong. But there are some questions over their defence after an injury to Varane.

Germany look like they've gotten considerably weaker following the world cup, with Lahm retiring and Schweinsteiger slowing. Their complete lack of any full backs may cause them problems.

Spain don't look to have changed anything since the world cup and I'm expecting to see all the same problems they had at the world cup.

England are England and will inevitably lost in penalties and then blame it all on Rooney.

Portugal have Ronaldo and that's about it. Maybe he can 1 man team his way to the trophy but I doubt it.

Italy are usually worth a mention but don't look scary at all going into this. Though the same was said in 2006 and look what happened then.

Belgium are being tipped as an outsider to win it but despite having a quality line up the never seem to deliver in tournaments.

But all of those teams are irrelevant as it's going to be an All-Ireland final after both of them play the ugliest football anyone has seen since Greece 2004 but are unstoppable.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Final result: 1:0 after penalties.

XD

Also, we need no stinkin' fullbacks. 4 defensive players, 6 offensive players, ???, profit. That's the plan and I'm sticking with it.

4. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wild prediction: England vs Belgium final, Belgium to win.

5. World

World Oberstgruppenführer Moderator DLP Supporter

France do look very strong, but they won't win unless they show a bit more heart that they did two years ago. They were pretty good then but lacked the will to win.
    Sounds silly, but I feel they could have done better than the 0-1 against us.

There's no replacing Lahm, and Gomez is no Klose, so I predict 2nd place for us.

6. Invictus

Invictus Banned

Belgium looks freat on paper, on the field... Not so much. England, England, England,mI think I heard of this team? It's Europe Uruguay right? Personally cheering for the Swedes. Team Zlatan!

7. BTT

BTT Second Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Similarly wild prediction: If this happens British shitflinging about Brussels will reach a crescendo and immediately cause the Brexit.

Seriously though, I don't follow football that well, but I think we've/Belgium's got a fairly decent lineup and a fair shot at winning, based on how the World Cup went. We'll see how it goes.

8. Bill Door

That plan doesn't account for what happens when you get John O'Shea'd.

9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With the legendary prowess of Shane Long, one of "Europe's most coveted strikers" (I shit you not, actual quote) and the powerhouse midfielder Glen Whelan, Ireland have a good chance of getting out of the group and eventually winning the tournament.

The real Ireland that is.

Not that other lot.

/Stares at bill_door

Edit: Also, great work on the thread, Oment.

10. Miner

Miner Auror

I'll be watching this instead of the Copa because let's be real who really wants to see the US get their butts kicked in over and over again.

I'm hoping that Germany wins (cheered a hell of a lot in 2014) and putting my bets on Ozil, Muller, Neuer to carry them.

But France and Belgium certainly have a very good chance as well.

11. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

You jest, but I can see the Brexit camp go rail against Europe if England doesn't make it out of the group stage. (Vote's in between group stage and round of 16.)

I've not been following international football as much, but put me down for Spain being tossed out in the group stage (both Czech Rep. and Turkey looked fairly decent in qualifying) and none of the teams from the British Isles making it past the round of 16, just because.

@Seratin Thanks. :)

12. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

So, without actually checking if this is possible, I'm going to say that the tournaments top 4 teams will be in no particular order: England, Belgium, France and Croatia.

Spain to crash out in groups and Germany to lose their first elimination game.

Portugal can also go far considering the group they got, but Croatia is my chosen dark horse this time.

13. Bill Door

Croatia are an interesting choice. They're strong going forward but I think their defence can be exposed by a strong attack. Group D is also pretty strong, if Spain show up it will be very close between the other 3 in that group and I'm not sure Croatia would win out in that.

14. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

But with the format of this tournament, like 2 best 3rd's of the groups qualify too, right?

15. Bill Door

Four if the third places teams go through to the knockout stages. But third in Croatia's group would probably be playing either France or England in the next round.

I don't really fancy Croatia's chance against any of the favourites for the tournament.

16. crusader564

crusader564 First Year

I think Croatia likely comes in second in their group to Spain, which would match them up with the first place side in group E. Odds are that team would be Belgium, and while I love Croatia's midfield, I can't see them getting past a loaded Belgium side.

17. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oof. What a goal. Payet MOTM even before that.

Interesting thought, without the sex tape scandal, Giroud and Payet probably don't even start.

18. Bill Door

I think France were actually very lucky to win that. They looked a bit underprepared, very sloppy on the ball in midfield and terrible from set pieces. They were especially week down the left flank, Payet kept wandering inside letting Evra get double team. If Romania had a stronger attack they could have punished them a lot more.

France looked good going forward in patches but their finishing was sloppy, Griezman should have scored when he hit the post and Giroud could have had a hattrick with better finishing. I also think their first goal was a foul on the keeper, Giroud pushed his arm out of the way when he would have caught the ball.

19. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Great goal for a great personal performance, I have to say. They should have called a foul on the keeper on the first goal, though. Either way, enjoyable first match.

20. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Payet and Kante were the best players on the pitch last night. Payet's goal was incredible.